PDA

View Full Version : Time To Give Marte The Closer's Job?

hold2dibber
08-06-2003, 10:11 PM
With the bullpen struggling and pitchers on the team questioning (rightfully so) JM's handling of the pen, it seems to me that JM needs to settle things down by going back to defined roles for the guys in the pen. I don't like it when a manager is paralyzed by fear of straying from designated roles for relief pitchers, but JM is so all over the map lately that I think he is really frustrating his players.

He should name Marte as closer. Marte is the more consistent, has the best stuff, and has no fear. It is pretty clear to me that he is the best closer option right now. Gordon is RH set up man and Wunsch is LH set up man -- Wunsch has shown he can get out the occassional righty, so he shouldn't be limited to the LOOGY (Lefthanded One Out GuY) role. Schoenweis is LOOGY, Ginter and Koch share middle relief/mop up. That seems to me to be the best set up based on the current personnel. Better yet would be to pick up Rod Beck or some other decent right handed reliever, but I'm not counting on that happening.

mike squires
08-06-2003, 10:17 PM
Although Marte is 28, (for some reason he seems much younger) I would hate to see them ruin Marte's career by using him in so many innings, just like they did with Thigpen. I would like to see Marte come in only in the 9th however you have to go with what is working and that is use whoever is freshest and consider the situation...

MHOUSE
08-06-2003, 11:15 PM
Marte is too versatile to limit him to save chances. We need him in there more than that. I just hope his arm doesn't fall off.