PDA

View Full Version : Hey ESPN: You talk about Living Legends:

ChiSox14305635
08-06-2003, 11:06 PM
How about Hawk Harrelson? Maybe he hasn't broadcasted the Sox games as long as Brennaman for the Reds or Harwell for the Tigers. But IMHO, he's the best play by play man out there....period. But of course, it's ESPN, and they don't give creedence to Chicago or the Sox. Disregard this. My mistake.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2003, 12:37 AM
It's a conspiracy!!!!!!!!

and I think ESPN is only using guys who no longer call games for MLB or for individual baseball teams.

Gowdy, Jackson, Michaels, Harwell...all retired from baseball.

Lip

MarkEdward
08-07-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
How about Hawk Harrelson? Maybe he hasn't broadcasted the Sox games as long as Brennaman for the Reds or Harwell for the Tigers. But IMHO, he's the best play by play man out there....period. But of course, it's ESPN, and they don't give creedence to Chicago or the Sox. Disregard this. My mistake.

Hawk Harrelson has nowhere near the talent that legends like Ernie Harwell, Vin Scully, and Keith Jackson have/had. Heck, Hawk isn't even liked by some Sox fans! He's hated by fans of other teams (the same can't really be said for guys like Harwell and Scully). One can hear "he gone" or "I luuuv it when you analyze" only so many times before becoming frustrated.

Not to mention the fact that he was a crappy GM...

JJAustin69
08-07-2003, 01:58 AM
I don't know but am I the only one who is tortured by the requisite "I love email." statement.

vegyrex
08-07-2003, 02:20 AM
I don't know why Sox fans don't like Hawk.

I think he does a fine job.

JJAustin69
08-07-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by vegyrex
I don't know why Sox fans don't like Hawk.

I think he does a fine job. I like Hawk. I just don't like that he loves email..........and has to tell us that..........over....and over......

WhiteSox = Life
08-07-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
I like Hawk. I just don't like that he loves email..........and has to tell us that..........over....and over......

:hawk
"Ijustreallyreallyreallyloveemail."

:DJ
"Wait, what'd you say? You what?"

"I luuuv e-mail!"

"Ah, crap. I walked right into that one."

scottmt
08-07-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
I like Hawk. I just don't like that he loves email..........and has to tell us that..........over....and over......

But that's his schtick and that's what makes him so enjoyable. I think you give him too little credit if you think that when Hawk says that he loves e-mail, or calls a strikeout with "Gas! He's gone," he's not doing it because it's the only way he knows how--he's doing it because that's what the Hawk character would say. Some people might favor a drier approach to play-by-play, but others of us enjoy what Hawk brings to the table. I think his predictability is actually very enjoyable, and I have a laugh when he inevitably references Al Kaline every game of a Tigers series and talks about playing 18 holes with the late, great Ted Williams every Red Sox series.

Similarly, DJ is growing on me some. I don't give him that much credit for it, though, because I think it's just his natural blandness and buffoonery that I enjoy. Hawk, I think, has a method to his madness...

MarqSox
08-07-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by scottmt
But that's his schtick and that's what makes him so enjoyable. I think you give him too little credit if you think that when Hawk says that he loves e-mail, or calls a strikeout with "Gas! He's gone," he's not doing it because it's the only way he knows how--he's doing it because that's what the Hawk character would say. Some people might favor a drier approach to play-by-play, but others of us enjoy what Hawk brings to the table.

I like Hawk's schtick ... I just don't like hearing it more than about once a week. I mean, if you really think about it, Hawk will still be our announcer in 30 years when he's dead. That is, all it takes is somebody at a computer pressing the button for "Gas, he gone!" or "You can put it on the board, YES!" or "I luuuv e-mail" etc. The man has very few original thoughts anymore.

dickallen15
08-07-2003, 10:06 AM
Hawk is a great announcer with a passion for the White Sox. How many other announcers would say "Thats b.s." when umpires are issuing beanball warnings.Would any of the other legends have their heads shaved for a couple of wins. I looovvvve the Hawkeroo.

thecell
08-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
The man has very few original thoughts anymore.

In defense of Hawk, he does come up with new stuff quite a bit. All of his sayings are original. I particularly enjoy listening to his catch phrases during each game. If he was constantly coming up with "new" stuff, he'd sound like the babbling, ridilin-needing Chip Caray. Hawk has been the voice of the Sox for many years and I hope we can enjoy his charisma and insight for many years to come.

fledgedrallycap
08-07-2003, 10:15 AM
I agree with with you dickallen; Hawk brings passion to the ballpark every game and wears it on his sleeve. Occasionally that makes the broadcast kind of slow (like when the Sox are losing by 4+ runs and he is ready to shoot DJ and silent periods for mintues at a time), but let's face it - Hawk is the national representative of the White Sox. You can go to Maine, Idaho, Alaska - and they all know "You Can Put it on the Board, YES!" (Except for Chris Berman :smile: ) He loves this team and Sox fans should respect Hawk for that reason alone, not to mention he does a very good job in the booth.

Hangar18
08-07-2003, 10:41 AM
I love Hawk.....he does come up with new sayings from time to time and HE is personally responsible for the NickNames our Players have....... Big Hurt, BlackJack McDowell, Little Hurt,
El Caballo. If we got rid of him, (and the cubs hadnt gotten stone back) The Cubs wouldve signed him, and the bleacher bums would have the PUT IT ON THE BOARD signs in the seats....

Hangar18
08-07-2003, 10:42 AM
speaking of Predictions....I wish I could find my Post where I predicted that Kenny Lofton would sign with the Cubs eventually....... I was off by one year.....(and by trade)

GoSox2K3
08-07-2003, 10:51 AM
I like Hawk. I'm glad he's our announcer. His biggest drawback is that he's too much of a company guy - doesn't criticize managment.

I don't know I'd call him a legend. But, if he ever jumped to the Cubs, you KNOW that everyone would suddenly treat him as a broadcast legend.

Someone on this thread mentioned his popularity. I seemed to remember that when Harry Caray was with the Sox, he was not too popular with players and not respected outside of White Sox fans.

Shoeless Joe
08-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Just be glad we never had Joe "Bad Pun Waiting To Happen" Carter.

jabrch
08-07-2003, 11:34 AM
But he isn't even close to the category of a Harwell/Breneman/Kalas etc... Hawk does a decent job...that's fine.

And yes, he was a crappy GM.

Clembasbal
08-07-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I love Hawk.....he does come up with new sayings from time to time and HE is personally responsible for the NickNames our Players have....... Big Hurt, BlackJack McDowell, Little Hurt,
El Caballo. If we got rid of him, (and the cubs hadnt gotten stone back) The Cubs wouldve signed him, and the bleacher bums would have the PUT IT ON THE BOARD signs in the seats....

Don't forget about "The Deacon" the worst player of all time.

mandmandm
08-07-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Shoeless Joe
Just be glad we never had Joe "Bad Pun Waiting To Happen" Carter.

The Jim McMahon interview about Pete Rozell was priceless.

booter14
08-07-2003, 03:50 PM
The Hawk better bow his neck, hunker down, and cinch it up if he ever wants to be considered for the HOF.

We're in the third, soon to be second, largest metro area in the USA, and we have a hill billy play-by-play guy. KC deserves this guy. maybe Tampa. We deserve Bob Uecker.

KingXerxes
08-07-2003, 04:19 PM
:rooney

"Well here we are folks in the top of the third, and it's time for our Living Legends Broadcaster to take over for the next inning."

"Mercy................thank you John..............It sure is nice to be recognized as a Living Legend here on national television."

"This isn't national television Ken, it's WCIU Channel 26 in Chicago, and the only reason we're handing this over to you is because it's a rain delay here at the ballpark."

"Yessir.........to be voted in as a Living Legend.........mercy...When I think of being born into a humble family in little ol' Woodruff, South Carolina.......well I can tell you that none of the people in Ol' Woodruff ever thought Ol' Hawk Harrelson would grow up to be the best baseball player ever from South Carolina - let alone a living legend in the broadcast booth."

:rooney

"Voted in? Geez we voted two minutes ago, and it came out two in favor, and two against - Where is Farmer anyway? And as far as being the greatest player to ever come out of South Carolina - don't make me laugh.........Why do I get the feeling that Joe Jackson just rolled over in his grave? Where the hell is.........oh here he is - It's about time Ed."

:farmer

"Here John, extra cheese and jalapenos, Darrin, they didn't have 7Up, so I got you a Sprite okay? Man it's really raining out here, and speaking of rain, when I was in line I was thinking about rain, and then Tim Raines came to mind, but not the Tim Raines who played for Montreal and the White Sox, but the other Tim Raines who played for Baltimore a couple of years ago. Neither of them would be playing right at this moment because of the rain, not raines, although rains might be appropriate because one rain drop hardly constitutes a downpour, so maybe it is rains."

"Yessir..........I'd like to thank all the little people who made this all possible for the Hawkeroo...........you cinched it up, strapped it down, and made me a Living Legend..............mercy"

Daver
08-07-2003, 06:44 PM
I'm dying here......

Thanx King!!

:)

Ol Aches & Pains
08-07-2003, 10:18 PM
I would say Hawk is overrated, but outside of Chicago, I don't think he is rated. He belongs in the Hall of fame about as much as I do. The guy's a buffoon! I turn off the TV sound and listen to Rooney and Farmer. Much less annoying (except for that damned Jerrod Jewelry commercial).

The thing I like least about Harrellson is his obsession with golf, and his constant references to golf during the games (Farmer is guilty of this too, to a lesser extent). I'm trying to watch a ball game, if I wanted to hear about golf, I'd be watching golf!