PDA

View Full Version : Sox Attendance

Dadawg_77
08-06-2003, 06:30 PM
From being 16% off of last year's attendance, the Sox surpased last year's average attendance Tues night. Man, being in the chase does put butts in the seats.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=chwhitesoxattcomp&prov=st&type=lgns

hold2dibber
08-06-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
From being 16% off of last year's attendance, the Sox surpased last year's average attendance Tues night. Man, being in the chase does put butts in the seats.

I think it's more than just being in the chase - I think the trades KW made re-vitalized the fan base because it made everyone think, for the first time in a lllooooonnngggg, lllloooooonnnggg time, that the organization actually cares about winning and is willing to make some bold moves to make that happen.

If the Sox average 30,000 for the remaining 26 home dates, they hit 2 million for the year. 30,000/game seems like a stretch, but they do have 7 more 1/2 price nights, 12 more weekend (Fri. - Sun.) games, some pretty attractive teams (i.e., Yankees, Red Sox, A's, Minn and KC) and (hopefully) a playoff race to get people through the turnstyles.

CHISOXFAN13
08-06-2003, 07:07 PM
I went to Ticketmaster today to see what I could get for Saturday and the best were in 516.

Maybe another crowd of 40,000 is in the books for Saturday night.

If we get crowds like we did today, I don't see any reason why we can't get to 2,000,000 fans.

I'm excited.

dougs78
08-06-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

The real beauty of all this is we are backing Reinsdorf into a corner. So lets say we continue to be in this thing and end up making the playoffs. Lets say people keep coming through the gates in big #'s and we hit the 2 million mark. Lets say we make a respectable showing in the playoffs and win a series.

That really ties JR's hands come this offseason. So we have all these potential free agents in what could prove to be a very depressed marketplace. If we do all those things he really has no excuse to get rid of any core pieces. In fact, it may be time for him to say, "lets really go for it." And take advantage of the the lower prices and actually add a few more free agents.

So in reality, all these things that bode well for this season, also bode well for the future.

MarqSox
08-06-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
If we do all those things he really has no excuse to get rid of any core pieces. In fact, it may be time for him to say, "lets really go for it."

Short of being the Yankees (which I'm not sure I'd even want), I don't know how much harder we could really go for it. They've made a lot of moves.

dougs78
08-06-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Short of being the Yankees (which I'm not sure I'd even want), I don't know how much harder we could really go for it. They've made a lot of moves.

I'm referring to next season and making some really big free agent acquistions. Tejada? Millwood? see what i mean? :smile:

FJA
08-06-2003, 10:17 PM
I don't think 2 mil is out of the question as long as the AL Central stays close. The month you really have to look at is September, when attendance traditionally drops because of kids going back to school, etc. In that month, the only series I see us maybe having an attendance problem with is the two-game Boston series (even then, that Tuesday game should draw well). We have weekend series against Cleveland and KC--and Cleveland (the good ol' rival) should still sell well as long as we're playing well--and half-price series (meaning, two games fall on half price nights) against the Twins and Yankees. If we still have a shot at the playoffs, I am almost positive the Yankees series will sell out. If the Twins are anywhere around us, I think we'll see pretty close to a sellout then as well. KC, if we're close ... it goes without saying.

Given potential 40,000+ games, I don't think averaging 30,000 a game is going to be all that difficult.

SoxxoS
08-06-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
I'm excited.

:reinsy

"I'll bring you back down to earth."

Nick@Nite
08-06-2003, 11:15 PM
Whaddya mean Sox attendance is low? I've been to every Sox home game for 33 years!

V/R,

Bones Albergo

tacosalbarojas
08-06-2003, 11:29 PM
Seeing the park full the last two nights was so so nice. Nothing finer than seeing that place full for me. As far as 2 mill. goes I'd love to see it, but the litmus test will be the Friday and Sunday games. We know we'll fill the upper deck for Fireworks Saturday nights and for half-price Monday's, but what about Friday and Sunday (non Kids days games) when full price has to be paid? And of course, if the Central stays close, that would be the ace when it comes to getting to 2 mill. Biggest reason we didn't draw in Sept. 2000 - it was all wrapped up early.

Thunderstruck30
08-07-2003, 01:06 AM
Do you think if the Sox draw 2 million this year Reinsdorf will raise ticket prices? He just did that before this season but will he do it again?

jcw218
08-07-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
I went to Ticketmaster today to see what I could get for Saturday and the best were in 516.

I don't know how many tickets you are/were looking for, but I found two in box 152 row 4 using the best available button.