PDA

View Full Version : Cardiac Kids

hold2dibber
08-06-2003, 04:23 PM
Man, being a fan of this team this year is like riding on a 6-month long roller coaster. They suck for months, then they crush the Cubs and Twins over a 2 week span, then they make 2 huge trades to improve the team, then they suck for a 2 week span, then they're awesome for a few weeks including a sweep to move into a tie for first, then they immediately get blown away in 3 straight games, then they win 2 straight to get back within a game but only after nearly blowing big leads in the 9th both games. I'm dizzy.

Somebody get me a de-fribulator, an industrial sized jug of Tumms, and a fresh supply of undershorts. Come to think of it, that sounds like a hell of a Sox game promotion!

But I ain't complainin'. If you would have told me about 5 or 6 weeks ago that the Sox would be one game out of first on August 6th, I would've been thrilled. Particularly in light of the fact that they are now 7-2 against the Royals since the season-opening sweep. Very, very nice.

They need to keep it up and consistently win series, and they can get right back in this thing.

MHOUSE
08-06-2003, 04:29 PM
I know what you mean! I guess it's exciting and all, but I'd rather have more consistent play by these guys. Why didn't Manuel let Colon at least start the ninth with a 4-0 lead? His last two starts have been gems, but Jerry pulled him after the 8th. Oh well a win is a win. Keep the :gulp: handy.

emaholic
08-06-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Man, being a fan of this team this year is like riding on a 6-month long roller coaster.

Man, being a fan of this team is killing me.

Jurr
08-06-2003, 05:09 PM
He didn't let Bart continue because he tweaked something slightly in his back. Bartolo is lucky he got that ball down to induce that double play, or he wouldn't have made it through the eighth. It was smart to go to the pen, but Marte should have started the inning.

hold2dibber
08-06-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Jurr
He didn't let Bart continue because he tweaked something slightly in his back. Bartolo is lucky he got that ball down to induce that double play, or he wouldn't have made it through the eighth. It was smart to go to the pen, but Marte should have started the inning.

Marte threw 1 1/3 last night, right? I know Gordon threw a lot on Monday (though not particularly effectively), but he at least had had a day's rest. If Colon couldn't go in the 9th, I don't have a problem with bringing in Gordon instead of Marte. The 9th inning was Gordon's fault, not JM's.

chosk8
08-06-2003, 08:33 PM
White Sox Baseball...plenty of good seats available, but you'll only need the edge.

Lip Man 1
08-06-2003, 08:52 PM
All the more reason that Williams has to beg, borrow or steal a right handed relief guy through waivers.

Lip

Brian26
08-07-2003, 09:12 AM
Get off it, Lip. Rick White was a bum, plain and simple. Ginter is gonna be just fine.

hold2dibber
08-07-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Get off it, Lip. Rick White was a bum, plain and simple. Ginter is gonna be just fine.

You don't think the Sox have issues with right handed relief right now? Koch has been ineffective and Ginter has been ineffective (admittedly in very limited work). Gordon runs hot and cold. I didn't have a problem with the release of White, because I don't think Ginter could be much worse. But this team really needs another good right handed reliever.

harwar
08-07-2003, 09:29 AM
In order to get anyone good,we would have to make a deal like the Ms & yanks did where they agreed to claim each others guy so as to block other teams out.There are definatlely a few out there but the trick is to sneak em by the other teams.I'm not sure KW has the same kinda mojo goin for him as king george(let me make you an offer that you can't refuse) up in yankee town.

Brian26
08-07-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
You don't think the Sox have issues with right handed relief right now? Koch has been ineffective and Ginter has been ineffective (admittedly in very limited work). Gordon runs hot and cold. I didn't have a problem with the release of White, because I don't think Ginter could be much worse. But this team really needs another good right handed reliever.

How many guys are we supposed to carry in the bullpen? We have 3 righties and 3 lefties. Carrying 6 guys used to be a luxury. Most teams in the 70's and 80's had a 5-man bullpen. Now you're telling me that we need another righthanded reliever? You want a 7-man bullpen? I can't sacrifice Willie Harris or Rowand to add another reliever that may never get used (isn't that why we traded Glover?). Let Ginter work. I don't know what to say about Koch. At this point, he's got to be relugated to the long-man/mop-up role.

hold2dibber
08-07-2003, 10:02 AM
How many guys are we supposed to carry in the bullpen? We have 3 righties and 3 lefties. Carrying 6 guys used to be a luxury. Most teams in the 70's and 80's had a 5-man bullpen. Now you're telling me that we need another righthanded reliever? You want a 7-man bullpen? I can't sacrifice Willie Harris or Rowand to add another reliever that may never get used (isn't that why we traded Glover?). Let Ginter work. I don't know what to say about Koch. At this point, he's got to be relugated to the long-man/mop-up role.

6 in the pen. If the Sox could add a quality RH reliever (ala Rod Beck or Jeff Nelson), Ginter goes back to Charlotte. I'm talking about upgrading, not piling on.

Jerko
08-07-2003, 11:39 AM

We may NEED a 7 man pen because somebody always seems to be "unavailable" because of the way the pitching staff is handled. If the Sox lead the league in "quality starts", why is the bullpen always so taxed?

gosox41
08-07-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
We may NEED a 7 man pen because somebody always seems to be "unavailable" because of the way the pitching staff is handled. If the Sox lead the league in "quality starts", why is the bullpen always so taxed?

Excellent question. Too bad one player on the Sox doesn't think Sox fans know what they're talking about. Maybe we should use Gordon in relief every game.

Bob