PDA

View Full Version : Benitez to Seattle for Jeff Nelson

adsit
08-06-2003, 04:19 PM
Still looking to get this confirmed... pretty good source on the info.

mandmandm
08-06-2003, 04:23 PM
Sounds like Rick White revenge, accept Nelson can pitch and is worth something in value in return. Now could the Sox block this trade and get one of these pitchers.

adsit
08-06-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
Sounds like Rick White revenge, accept Nelson can pitch and is worth something in value in return. Now could the Sox block this trade and get one of these pitchers.

Both players would have had to clear waivers before the trade could be announced. That's why I'm stumped. I'd think we would have wanted to pick up either one... unless their contracts are hideous or something.

Randar68
08-06-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by adsit
Both players would have had to clear waivers before the trade could be announced. That's why I'm stumped. I'd think we would have wanted to pick up either one... unless their contracts are hideous or something.

I can't believe both these players cleared freaking waivers. Nelson is perfect for our situation!

MHOUSE
08-06-2003, 04:30 PM
Well we could "claim" them, but then NY or Seattle could pull them back. Benitez hasn't been that bad for the Yankees. I thought he'd be a great set-up man for Rivera. Sasaki is almost back for the Mariners, why unload Nelson? This confuses me. :?:

adsit
08-06-2003, 04:31 PM
Up on ESPN now...

Linkage (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=19024135)

hold2dibber
08-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by adsit

They're both making big $, but I know that Benitez is an FA after this year, so they'd only have to pay him about 1/3 of this year's salary to get him. I don't know if Nelson is signed beyond this year, but even if he was, he would have been a great pick up. In either event, if the Sox had claimed either of these guys, his current team would have just snatched him back up. In other words, the Sox could have blocked the trade, but unless they had someone better to offer (and they don't), they probably couldn't have gotten in on either of these guys.

NewyorkSoxFan
08-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Well we could "claim" them, but then NY or Seattle could pull them back. Benitez hasn't been that bad for the Yankees. I thought he'd be a great set-up man for Rivera. Sasaki is almost back for the Mariners, why unload Nelson? This confuses me. :?:

Nelson (just like White) was running his mouth about the team not trading at the deadline. Benitez has no heart, so I'll trade you my loudmouth for your trash. HEY WE HAVE A DEAL!!!

NYSF

mandmandm
08-06-2003, 04:34 PM
why unload Nelson? This confuses me. :?:

"Rick White Revenge"

Nelson ripped on the M's front office for making no trades at the deadline. Both players are making over $5 mil I believe. If JR really wanted to make a statement hed would take some of the money he got in the last three days and get one of these guys.

Randar68
08-06-2003, 04:37 PM
Well we could "claim" them, but then NY or Seattle could pull them back. Benitez hasn't been that bad for the Yankees. I thought he'd be a great set-up man for Rivera.

Isn't that the point? Claim him to block the move against potential Playoff opponents?

mandmandm
08-06-2003, 04:45 PM
I do not fully understand all the nuances of the waiver but from what I know if the Sox are willing to throw around some cash they could make a deal. While they are definitely in the pennant race they have one of the worst records among the contenders. The Yankees, M's, and other teams are ahead of them, therefore could not block the trades, and most teams behind the Sox are out of the race or are cash strapped. So if money was thrown out there the Sox would have a good chance to get some bullpen help. Please correct me if anything above if wrong.

MHOUSE
08-06-2003, 04:46 PM
Well think about it, it's really an even trade. Neither side is gaining an advantage. One righty set-up man for another. Nelson is out for running his mouth and nobody seems to care what happens to Armando Benitez. It's win-win and why should we care? They're both in the AL and facing Nelson or Benitez on either team will be tough. What's the difference to us which team they're on?

34 Inch Stick
08-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Does it really change their teams that greatly from a possible opponents standpoint? I think you let Boston or the A's be the spoiler.

mandmandm
08-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Maybe KW has a jedi mind trick in his back pocket. "You want Billy Koch in your bullpen." Hand wave.

pudge
08-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Maybe KW has a jedi mind trick in his back pocket. "You want Billy Koch in your bullpen." Hand wave.

That's friggin hilarious. I'm in tears.

hold2dibber
08-06-2003, 05:24 PM
I do not fully understand all the nuances of the waiver but from what I know if the Sox are willing to throw around some cash they could make a deal. While they are definitely in the pennant race they have one of the worst records among the contenders. The Yankees, M's, and other teams are ahead of them, therefore could not block the trades, and most teams behind the Sox are out of the race or are cash strapped. So if money was thrown out there the Sox would have a good chance to get some bullpen help. Please correct me if anything above if wrong.

I think you're right, but the Sox would still have to deal somebody to get either of those guys. And neither the Mariners nor the Yankees are going to accept prospects, since they're both in the hunt for the World Series. Neither of those teams would trade either of those guys for anyone other than a top flight set up guy. The best the Sox could do would be Gordon or Marte, and I wouldn't trade Marte for either of those guys. I'm not sure if I'd trade Gordon for either of them, nor am I sure that either of those teams would accept Gordon for Nelson or Benitez.

JUGGERNAUT
08-06-2003, 05:57 PM
next year. After he spoke out of turn when the deadline passed (you wonder if he had spoken to someone the Yanks), you knew that if he was a ufa next yr they would try to deal him.

Benito & cash for Nelson.
Translation: NYY picking up the remainder of their contracts.

The NYY just acquired a career 3.29 ERA with .222 opp BA. 2003: 643 OPS vs (589 vs RH, 729 vs LH).

The M's just acquired a career 3.03 ERA with .188 opp BA. 2003: 648 OPS vs (563 vs RH, 725 vs LH).

By looking at the #'s & Benito's 197 sv's over his career you can't blame the M's. I know Nelson has shown up in the playoffs over the years with the Yanks, but on paper the M's got the better player.

Maybe this deal will come back to bit the Evil Empire in the arse.

As for the SOX, I have to go :gulp:
now as the Tinkerer caused me yet another heart attack. :angry:

Brian26
08-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Honestly, there would be no point for the Sox to even try to block this trade. First of all, neither team is in our divison. Second, the trade seems pretty straight-up fair. Third, claiming either guy to block the trade is ultimately a move to piss off both teams. The Sox have been buddies with the Yankees for awhile (Reinsdorf and Steinbrenner are on good terms). Don't we owe the Yankees a favor anyway for helping us get Colon this winter? Let's not forget the goodness they displayed in taking Fatsuna and Leif off our hands.

Brian26
08-06-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Let's not forget the goodness they displayed in taking Fatsuna and Leif off our hands.

Before someone corrects me, I know that Leifer ended up going to Montreal. Just saying the Yanks were kind enough to broker this deal for us to spite the Carmines.

brewcrew/chisox
08-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Honestly, there would be no point for the Sox to even try to block this trade. First of all, neither team is in our divison. Second, the trade seems pretty straight-up fair. Third, claiming either guy to block the trade is ultimately a move to piss off both teams. The Sox have been buddies with the Yankees for awhile (Reinsdorf and Steinbrenner are on good terms). Don't we owe the Yankees a favor anyway for helping us get Colon this winter? Let's not forget the goodness they displayed in taking Fatsuna and Leif off our hands.

Please don't start talking about "the goodness" of the Yankees. Please! That team is out to do one thing, buy championships!! The Yankees needed to get rid of El-duke' and his salary and ended up getting what they thought was going to be a solid middle relief man (his numbers for the sox suggested that). Heck, they still had 5 great starting pitchers without EL-Duke' so what were they losing? Furthermore, we still had to give up Biddle, who is turning out to be a great closer for the Expo's.

This trade is just one more sickening example of how Selig's idiotic Luxury tax will not work. Granted, Nelson is not the same man he was when he was with NY years ago, but he is a solid middle reliever, an area where NY was weak in this year. Where are the holes in the Yankee team now? Oh, yeah, right field. Be sure to see that hole filled during the next month or so as well.

It would be great......no, awesome to see this team implode like they did last year, especially if it were at the hands of the Sox. But the future looks grim...not only for this year but for the extended future of baseball as a whole.

Boy, this is turning depressing. I need a
:) . It must be the brewer fan in me.

ScottyTheSoxFan
08-07-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by brewcrew/chisox
Furthermore, we still had to give up Biddle, who is turning out to be a great closer for the Expo's.

now that would have been a nice deadline pickup, if the 'spos were willing to deal.