PDA

View Full Version : Time To Renogiate With Loiza

34 Inch Stick
08-06-2003, 01:44 PM
I know we have him signed up for next year. However if we tore up that contract and gave him 3 years I think both sides would be very happy.

I imagine his market value will be a little better than Byrd's was this year. They both are over 30 with a history of mediocre pitching and both had one good year. There are still many who will think Loiza was a one year wonder. I would bet he might even question it in the back of his head. I think he would take the security and we would be able to wrap up a veteran starter for a few years at a lower than average price.

3 years at 15 million plus bonuses.

Randar68
08-06-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I know we have him signed up for next year. However if we tore up that contract and gave him 3 years I think both sides would be very happy.

I imagine his market value will be a little better than Byrd's was this year. They both are over 30 with a history of mediocre pitching and both had one good year. There are still many who will think Loiza was a one year wonder. I would bet he might even question it in the back of his head. I think he would take the security and we would be able to wrap up a veteran starter for a few years at a lower than average price.

It would be smart on our part. I imagine he'd have to look seriously at something like that. The guy is going to owe his ex-wife a lot of $$$ and he had some serious legal bills with his divorce.

BTW... renegotiate

hold2dibber
08-06-2003, 01:55 PM

I don't know of any reason to do that. Byrd is the perfect example - not exactly a great signing by the Braves. The Sox have Loaiza tied up for next year. If he continues to pitch well this year and the first couple months of next year, re-negotiate at that time.

Randar68
08-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I don't know of any reason to do that. Byrd is the perfect example - not exactly a great signing by the Braves. The Sox have Loaiza tied up for next year. If he continues to pitch well this year and the first couple months of next year, re-negotiate at that time.

At that point he might as well wait to become a FA. The draw you are giving him now (and might be able to save a little $$$) is the security.

Iwritecode
08-06-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
BTW... renegotiate

Voodoo, can you change that title?

Sorry 34, I'm not usually part of the spelling police on here but that hurt my eyes...

:)

34 Inch Stick
08-06-2003, 02:03 PM
Byrd also had a history of arm trouble and IIRC he had to be shut down for part of last year with a tired arm. In addition Byrd's ERA was in the high 3's.

I just don't think you can be a fluke with an ERA as low as Loiza's has been this year. I cannot remember a White Sox pitcher that has been this reliable for 3/4 of a year.

34 Inch Stick
08-06-2003, 02:05 PM
I did it purposely in order to draw attention to my post. How do you like that spin?

Randar68
08-06-2003, 02:05 PM
Byrd also had a history of arm trouble and IIRC he had to be shut down for part of last year with a tired arm. In addition Byrd's ERA was in the high 3's.

I just don't think you can be a fluke with an ERA as low as Loiza's has been this year. I cannot remember a White Sox pitcher that has been this reliable for 3/4 of a year.

If you watch his pitch selection and the way he approaches hitters, it is easy to see this is no fluke. When a hitter thinks he has an idea of what to do against Loaiza, Loaiza throws him the opposite. Plus, he does it throwing strikes. Loaiza has been in the AL for the past, what, 8 years (off the top of my head), so it's not like people haven't seen him before.

A thrower who learned to pitch. It ain't the first time.

MarkV
08-06-2003, 03:03 PM
Definitely re-sign Loaiza. He's developed into a great PITCHER and he can get us 15 wins a year if he keeps the same mental approach and doesn't change what he's doing now.

soxtalker
08-06-2003, 03:27 PM
Well, I'm tempted on this one to leave this decision to the insiders on the club. That's not because I trust them that much. However, I know that there is a lot of resistance within the Sox organization (starting and perhaps mainly with JR) to such long-term signings. However, I'm a little nervous about committing such large amounts of salary based on one year of performance. We've got a number of players that are going to be commanding such chunks of salary over the next few years. Other than his stellar performance this year, what evidence do we have that suggests it will continue? (That's not a statement -- but a real question.)

Randar68
08-06-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by MarkV
Definitely re-sign Loaiza. He's developed into a great PITCHER and he can get us 15 wins a year if he keeps the same mental approach and doesn't change what he's doing now.

I do think Coop has been a part of it.

hold2dibber
08-06-2003, 05:17 PM
At the very least, I'd wait until the end of the season before re-negotiating. At that time, you'll know what your budget is for next year, whether or not you have any chance (or desire) to re-sign Colon, what you're going to do about CLee (who will be arbitration eligible in his last year before free agency), Buehrle (also arbitration eligible, I believe) and anyone else who is going into arbitration. I just don't see the rush now. The team will know a lot more about (1) what it needs; (2) how much $ it has to spend; and (3) what the market is, during the winter. I would think Loaiza will be just as amenable to a long term deal in the winter as he is now.

34 Inch Stick
08-06-2003, 05:30 PM
20 wins and a Cy Young tend to drive a person's market value up. That is the rush. It is a risk, but I believe one that is well worth taking.