PDA

View Full Version : Looks like a lot of us will be heading off to Afghanistan soon....


Chisox353014
08-06-2003, 12:16 PM
From ESPN's Page 2 review of Wrigley Field: (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/ballparks/wrigley.html) So much has been written about Wrigley's many charms that I don't need to add anything. I'll just say this. If you don't like Wrigley, you might as well leave the country and join the Taliban.

Actually the article is not quite as nauseating as you might think it would be. I'll give him bonus points for mentioning how bad the bathrooms are, calling the throw back the home run ball thing "the worst tradition in sports", and an Office Space reference; major points off for peeing in his pants about the scoreboard and 7th-inning stretch and a Dave Matthews reference :D:

MisterB
08-06-2003, 12:43 PM
It's still mostly drivel. The exterior gets 5 out of 5 because of the big red sign on the front? ***? 3.5 points on 'seat comfort' although he stood the whole game? Huh? 10 points at the end just 'cuz? I can't wait to see his USCF review so we can tall just how full of it he is.

Hangar18
08-06-2003, 12:56 PM
This guy certainly wasnt very PROFESSIONAL with his assessment
of this dump. Think he was letting the views of the sorority girls get in his way. He was a bit too Giddy for me to take him
seriously.

JJAustin69
08-06-2003, 12:58 PM
Wow, another tourist likes Wrigley. What a shock. They make up about a third of the crowd on any given day. While you are visiting museums, Mr. Tourist, be sure to check out Science and Industry. You can learn a lot more there.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-06-2003, 01:14 PM
My God, where to begin?

This is the biggest load of first-grade level pap I have ever read from any big "grown up" media site anywhere on the internet.

A-N-Y-W-H-E-R-E.

When Caple isn't slavishly genuflecting to every cliche ever written about the Urinal ("the scoreboard is the greatest" -- even though you have to add up the score in your head, not all games around the majors fit, and the inning by inning details are pointless because 95 percent of the games start at night), he's busy getting his facts just plain wrong ("Frank Lloyd Wright never built anything as lovely as Wrigley? Yea, right... those 60's-vintage composite concrete panels have been there forever).

What a bozo. I'm embarrassed for him.

I strongly urge discounting EVERYTHING this idiot has written about every ballpark he has ever visited based solely on the abominations that his Urinal report contains. As for the credibility of the website that published this ****... we already knew they had precious little to begin with.

:boston
"You mean Chicago has a ballpark nearly as old as Fenway?"

cheeses_h_rice
08-06-2003, 01:40 PM
It's funny -- it's like everything that's wrong with the park (except the bathrooms, which he ranks a 1) gets discounted or excused away. He sounds like a Tribune employee in this article.

maurice
08-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
It's funny -- it's like everything that's wrong with the park (except the bathrooms, which he ranks a 1) gets discounted or excused away. He sounds like a Tribune employee in this article.

But if he didn't go back and inflate his point ratings, he wouldn't have been able to meet his predetermined goal of giving his favorite park an 84 grade -- lower than only Pac Bell and Camden Yards, but higher than Comerica, et al. For example, he pans the fans at length for their lack of knowledge, then awards them a 3.5 (on a 5 point scale). He pans the exterior achitecture (except for the big red sign), yet awards it a 5. They ran out of Old Style at the game he attended, but he gives a 3 for beer. He says they need a diamond vision, but gives the scoreboard a 4.5. He points out that there is absolutely nothing interesting to do in the park but gives that item a 3.5. He says that the souveniers in the park are "criminal" but gives it a 5.

The review of the Cell should be . . . um . . . interesting. If someone has the time, the two reviews should be compared item by item. For example, if the Urinal gets a 4 for accessibilty (despite no parking), shouldn't the Cell get an 8?

FJA
08-06-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by maurice
But if he didn't go back and inflate his point ratings, he wouldn't have been able to meet his predetermined goal of giving his favorite park an 84 grade -- lower than only Pac Bell and Camden Yards, but higher than Comerica, et al. For example, he pans the fans at length for their lack of knowledge, then awards them a 3.5 (on a 5 point scale). He pans the exterior achitecture (except for the big red sign), yet awards it a 5. They ran out of Old Style at the game he attended, but he gives a 3 for beer. He says they need a diamond vision, but gives the scoreboard a 4.5. He points out that there is absolutely nothing interesting to do in the park but gives that item a 3.5. He says that the souveniers in the park are "criminal" but gives it a 5.

The review of the Cell should be . . . um . . . interesting. If someone has the time, the two reviews should be compared item by item. For example, if the Urinal gets a 4 for accessibilty (despite no parking), shouldn't the Cell get an 8?

If the Cell doesn't get a 5 for accessibility, there is something seriously wrong ... it is even more CTA accessible, and you can park there.

If Caple wants to jack up the Wild Card since it's his favorite park, that's fine, but he shouldn't pad the legit ratings.

MarqSox
08-06-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by FJA
If the Cell doesn't get a 5 for accessibility, there is something seriously wrong ... it is even more CTA accessible, and you can park there.

I could see giving it a 4.5 ... the Dan Ryan isn't exactly fun to drive on.

maurice
08-06-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I could see giving it a 4.5 ... the Dan Ryan isn't exactly fun to drive on.

Would you rather take the surface streets that lead to Wrigley? It's the same I-90/94 that gets you near the Urinal, yet it's much closer to the park. The el is about the same distance from the park, there's a second el line two blocks from the first, and the stadium is immediately surrounded by thousands of parking spaces. That's got to be worth more than a .5 bonus. Instead, they'll probably subtract 3.5 points, because the surrounding neighborhoods include black folks. (SHUDDER)

:angry:

Foulke You
08-06-2003, 03:13 PM
That Wrigley article made me sick to my stomach. Ugh. Is it any wonder that Wrigley is so highly regarded? It is rammed down everyone's throats as this wonderful slice of Americana. Could life possibly be better than a day at Wrigley Field? I doubt it! Dying people should go to a game at Wrigley so they will have a preview of what heaven is like!

Hangar18
08-06-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by maurice
But if he didn't go back and inflate his point ratings, he wouldn't have been able to meet his predetermined goal of giving his favorite park an 84 grade -- lower than only Pac Bell and Camden Yards, but higher than Comerica, et al. For example, he pans the fans at length for their lack of knowledge, then awards them a 3.5 (on a 5 point scale). He pans the exterior achitecture (except for the big red sign), yet awards it a 5. They ran out of Old Style at the game he attended, but he gives a 3 for beer. He says they need a diamond vision, but gives the scoreboard a 4.5. He points out that there is absolutely nothing interesting to do in the park but gives that item a 3.5. He says that the souveniers in the park are "criminal" but gives it a 5.

The review of the Cell should be . . . um . . . interesting. If someone has the time, the two reviews should be compared item by item. For example, if the Urinal gets a 4 for accessibilty (despite no parking), shouldn't the Cell get an 8?

Excellent Points Maurice. This guy has an Apparent POINT SYSTEM, but ignored it when scoring Club Wrigley. I wonder what his point system would REALLY have looked like. If The Urinal is 84, then Comiskey would easily be 95 then....according
to his Grading System.....

emaholic
08-06-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
If The Urinal is 84, then Comiskey would easily be 95 then....according
to his Grading System.....

I was thinking the same thing.

southsidegirl
08-06-2003, 05:10 PM
"Fan knowledge: 3.5"


hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha yea right! and billy koch should be our closer!!!!!!!!!!! i would give them a score of .5!!!!!!



:thankgod

inta
08-06-2003, 05:15 PM
yeah that's just wrong.
the writer even says that most fans are tourists, they leave the game early, don't know much about baseball... etc etc.

then goes on to say he loves those type of fans...
***?

Max Power
08-06-2003, 05:36 PM
Wow, just wow. I had been enjoyed his reviews and thought them to be reasonable, but this was a complete joke. I've lost all respect for this guy. All the points that I would make have already been made.
I'm dreading his Cell review. How many times will be mention Wrigley in it?
The thing I hate most is that a lot of people around the country read these reviews and think this guy knows what he talking about cause he's on espn.com and he's going to all the parks. He inflates Wrigley and he'll probably deflate the Cell. Perception is reality. The cycle continues.

TornLabrum
08-06-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Dying people should go to a game at Wrigley so they will have a preview of what heaven is like![/COLOR]

I've heard that dying people who have been doused with Old Style at Wrigley have been cured.

inta
08-06-2003, 05:55 PM
you know when he reviews the cell he'll end up buying an UD seat and complain about it, then say things like "there's a fan deck and a bullpen bar, but i wasn't able to get to those with my UD ticket" and we'll get a 0 for ballpark extras.

:chunks

Jerko
08-06-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by southsidegirl
"Fan knowledge: 3.5"


hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha yea right! and billy koch should be our closer!!!!!!!!!!! i would give them a score of .5!!!!!!



:thankgod

SSgirl, you beat me to the punch. 3.5 for fan knowledge? Knowledge of what? Certainly not baseball.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-06-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
SSgirl, you beat me to the punch. 3.5 for fan knowledge? Knowledge of what? Certainly not baseball.

No kidding, especially after he dissed the fans for not knowing baseball. This idiot ruined what little credibility he ever had with his Urinal ballpark review. He probably rated the restrooms a 1 because he was so disappointed there was no place to beat off.

"Oh, Wrigley... Oh, Wrigley... Oh, WRIGLEY!!!"

:)

emaholic
08-06-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
No kidding, especially after he dissed the fans for not knowing baseball. This idiot ruined what little credibility he ever had with his Urinal ballpark review. He probably rated the restrooms a 1 because he was so disappointed there was no place to beat off.

"Oh, Wrigley... Oh, Wrigley... Oh, WRIGLEY!!!"

:)


LMAO.

FJA
08-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by inta
you know when he reviews the cell he'll end up buying an UD seat and complain about it, then say things like "there's a fan deck and a bullpen bar, but i wasn't able to get to those with my UD ticket" and we'll get a 0 for ballpark extras.

Actually, on the ballpark review homepage, there is a "send your comments" form asking fans to give suggestions ... I sent one saying he has to buy a lower deck ticket to experience many of the best things about the park.

BTW, you can get in the bar with a UD ticket.

cheeses_h_rice
08-06-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
No kidding, especially after he dissed the fans for not knowing baseball. This idiot ruined what little credibility he ever had with his Urinal ballpark review. He probably rated the restrooms a 1 because he was so disappointed there was no place to beat off.

"Oh, Wrigley... Oh, Wrigley... Oh, WRIGLEY!!!"

:)

Post of the week.

:gulp:

WhiteSox = Life
08-06-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


No kidding, especially after he dissed the fans for not knowing baseball. This idiot ruined what little credibility he ever had with his Urinal ballpark review. He probably rated the restrooms a 1 because he was so disappointed there was no place to beat off.

"Oh, Wrigley... Oh, Wrigley... Oh, WRIGLEY!!!"

:)


Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice


Post of the week.

:gulp:

Well, you know what they say. Sex sells. Even that kind!

:D:

Hangar18
08-07-2003, 11:24 AM
The other thing that gets me about Jim "Im-a-writer-but-break-own-rules-about-accurate-reporting" Caple is his Lauding the cubs for NOT HAVING BILLBOARDS throughout the park like Comiskey does. Now if Jim had done some RESEARCH (like most reporters writing stories are required to do) he would know that the cubs CANT PUT BILLBOARDS UP. THEYVE TRIED.
but the landmark status prevents them from doing so. The Trib wont tell you that...but theyre PISSED ABOUT THAT. Thats just extra money they cant make. but theyre still laughing ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK. Caple, the laughs on you, despite all the things that are REALLY WRONG in that park, your the SAP that lets them off the hook by not giving them the REAL MARK they deserved.

cheeses_h_rice
08-07-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The other thing that gets me about Jim "Im-a-writer-but-break-own-rules-about-accurate-reporting" Caple is his Lauding the cubs for NOT HAVING BILLBOARDS throughout the park like Comiskey does. Now if Jim had done some RESEARCH (like most reporters writing stories are required to do) he would know that the cubs CANT PUT BILLBOARDS UP. THEYVE TRIED.
but the landmark status prevents them from doing so. The Trib wont tell you that...but theyre PISSED ABOUT THAT. Thats just extra money they cant make. but theyre still laughing ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK. Caple, the laughs on you, despite all the things that are REALLY WRONG in that park, your the SAP that lets them off the hook by not giving them the REAL MARK they deserved.

I guess it's OK that Wrigley doesn't have billboards, but that every other building on Sheffield and Waveland does? Is there really a difference there?

:?:

inta
08-07-2003, 11:43 AM
yeah no joke, there's that huge sears sign, and that giant budweiser painted roof behind center.

and once you leave the park there's an onslaught of billboards along clark.

JJAustin69
08-07-2003, 12:18 PM
When they are on ESPN, they superimpose advertisements on the wall behind home plate. They have a blank screen back there kind of like the weather man uses. I personally don't think it is right to advertise in a graveyard....and since Wrigley is the place that baseball seasons go to die, they should show more respect. :smile:

kittle42
08-07-2003, 01:04 PM
Caple also says that the Cubs should put another scoreboard up in right field to block the views of the "greedy" rooftop owners.

Maybe he *does* work for the Trib!

GoSox2K3
08-07-2003, 09:25 PM
The article is not as bad as I feared. He actually has alot of bad things to say in his ratings. But then he backwards-calculates points to assure that Wrigley gets a high score. The points he awards seem to have no connection with his analysis. Also, he buries his analysis with the vomit inducing drivel about how great Wrigley is and it's like Disneyland and being there gives him a boner, etc.

His whole point system is a farce if he doesn't have the guts to admit that Wrigley scores poorly. I expect that he'll give The Cell a good analysis on most categories and then slap us with low numbers and totally slam the park in is write up.

This man needs some de-programing. He's obviously been brainwashed about all things Cubbie.