PDA

View Full Version : Posnaski's Article.

koch44
08-06-2003, 12:22 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/6466757.htm

And every so often, they have Disco Night and the subsequent riot.

It's not disco night, it's flying Elvis night you ass. :angry: :)

Rocky Soprano
08-06-2003, 12:26 PM
What a lame. I wonder what he will say when his team tanks.

Steve Bartman
08-06-2003, 12:31 PM
Well, as he said, we are all "smug" Chicago fans.......what a jackass

bobj4400
08-06-2003, 12:34 PM
I want to post a picture of this hick from the KC Star website...how do you attach pictures to these posts?

dickallen15
08-06-2003, 12:35 PM
This is the same dope who wrote the crap last week. How about the going out of business sale he says the Sox hold every July. KC has dumped Appier, Dye and Damon in recent years. I believe he forgot that. They even thought of trading Beltran while in first place. He gives Manuel crap for saying the Sox will win the final 2 games of the series. I guess he is supposed to say the Sox will get swept, nevermind Pena tells everyone, the Royals will win the division. Then he gets into the strength of schedule remain argument. He is the cocky one. His facts are way off. The paper should can him.

FJA
08-06-2003, 12:44 PM
I don't think I've read a column by this guy after the Royals won. Every one I've read has been like, "Well, they Royals still lost, but WATCH OUT! They're trying!"

This guy is the KC version of Mike Kiley.

DrCrawdad
08-06-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
I want to post a picture of this hick from the KC Star website...how do you attach pictures to these posts?

http://www.kansascity.com/images/kansascity/kansascity/5095/25961581690.jpg

soxtalker
08-06-2003, 01:00 PM
OK -- I'm going to take a different view. While I won't say that I liked what the article had to say, I'm actually more concerned that there's an element of truth in what he says about how we on the Sox side are handling things. You can expect him as a Royals fan (as well as writer) to be more sensitive to slights against the Royals than we would be, but I think that it is a good perspective to read. What doesn't do us any good is if any real or imagined slights get turned into motivation for the Royals.

I was at the game last night, and the Royals are due a lot of respect. They hustle, play good defense, and never give up. There has been a general tendency among us fans and the Sox media to dismiss the Royals and focus on the Twins, though that's probably ebbing as the season progresses. We faced the same thing back in 2000. Many of the players are young and unknown; most people think that players with a track record will continue to do well.

I always see a segment of fans that will be willing to tear apart another team. And many of those will call into the talk radio shows. As has been discussed in other threads on the board, the fans at the past two nights games were probably atypical, since they were half-price nights. Hopefully, that was part of his impression. With regards to the media and Sox players, I'm a little more puzzled. I keep hearing a lot of respectful comments toward the Royals. I even think that I heard Julie Swieca comment to one of the Royals on last night's show that the two teams seemed to like and respect one another.

bobj4400
08-06-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
http://www.kansascity.com/images/kansascity/kansascity/5095/25961581690.jpg

Thanks Doc...

emaholic
08-06-2003, 01:14 PM
Talk about cocky...

hold2dibber
08-06-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
OK -- I'm going to take a different view. While I won't say that I liked what the article had to say, I'm actually more concerned that there's an element of truth in what he says about how we on the Sox side are handling things. You can expect him as a Royals fan (as well as writer) to be more sensitive to slights against the Royals than we would be, but I think that it is a good perspective to read. What doesn't do us any good is if any real or imagined slights get turned into motivation for the Royals.

I was at the game last night, and the Royals are due a lot of respect. They hustle, play good defense, and never give up. There has been a general tendency among us fans and the Sox media to dismiss the Royals and focus on the Twins, though that's probably ebbing as the season progresses. We faced the same thing back in 2000. Many of the players are young and unknown; most people think that players with a track record will continue to do well.

I always see a segment of fans that will be willing to tear apart another team. And many of those will call into the talk radio shows. As has been discussed in other threads on the board, the fans at the past two nights games were probably atypical, since they were half-price nights. Hopefully, that was part of his impression. With regards to the media and Sox players, I'm a little more puzzled. I keep hearing a lot of respectful comments toward the Royals. I even think that I heard Julie Swieca comment to one of the Royals on last night's show that the two teams seemed to like and respect one another.

I largely agree. I didn't see anything in the article that I found offensive - I just think his entire premise was off kilter. He believes that the Sox and the Sox fans don't respect the Royals. I think he's wrong; he bases his belief upon a little bit of subjective, anecdotal evidence. But my subjective belief, based on anecdotal evidence, is that most Sox fans believe the Royals are for real and are nervous that the Sox will fall apart, as they have so many times in the past.

TommyJohn
08-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by koch44
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/6466757.htm

It's not disco night, it's flying Elvis night you ass. :angry: :)
Is it me, or does every baseball person who isn't a Sox fan just
treat the team and its history with complete and utter disdain?
What the hell is up with that? And please don't say it's all about
Reinsdorf or disconnection with the fanbase. The team has never
gotten any respect. Even Boob Costas, who wets his pants
yammering about Cub, Red Sox and Yankee mystique, doesn't
throw any feel-good vibes our way. Is it any wonder Sox fans
are angry? That some may have that "inferiorty complex" that
all those amateur armchair Freudians associate with us? That
some rival players got booed at the All-Star game? When people
are subjected to endless abuse from all corners, they snap back.

By the way, the majority of posts on this board are far from
"cocky." Most Sox fans I read know that the Royals are a good
team and think the Sox will give out. And as for the one or two
that that twerp encountered, so what? Did he want them to
say "moan, moan. The Royals are mighty and are going to win.
Groan, groan." So some fans like our chances. What in holy
mother-lovin' hell is so wrong with that?

MarqSox
08-06-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I largely agree. I didn't see anything in the article that I found offensive - I just think his entire premise was off kilter. He believes that the Sox and the Sox fans don't respect the Royals. I think he's wrong; he bases his belief upon a little bit of subjective, anecdotal evidence. But my subjective belief, based on anecdotal evidence, is that most Sox fans believe the Royals are for real and are nervous that the Sox will fall apart, as they have so many times in the past.

I don't respect the Royals ... not because I have anything against them, just because I don't think they're that good. They're playing way above their heads and are taking advantage of a very weak division. I don't fault them for that at all ... but I'm not impressed with them either.

Hangar18
08-06-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by FJA

This guy is the KC version of Mike Kiley.

HAHAHAHAHA .....thats excellent.

Dan H
08-06-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
Is it me, or does every baseball person who isn't a Sox fan just
treat the team and its history with complete and utter disdain?
What the hell is up with that? And please don't say it's all about
Reinsdorf or disconnection with the fanbase. The team has never
gotten any respect. Even Boob Costas, who wets his pants
yammering about Cub, Red Sox and Yankee mytique, doesn't
throw any feel-good vibes our way. Is it any wonder Sox fans
are angry? That some may have that "inferiorty complex" that
all those amateur armchair Freudians associate with us? That
some rival players got booed at the All-Star game? When people
are subjected to endless abuse from all corners, they snap back.

By the way, the majority of posts on this board are far from
"cocky." Most Sox fans I read know that the Royals are a good
team and think the Sox will give out. And as for the one or two
that that twerp encountered, so what? Did he want them to
say "moan, moan. The Royals are mighty and are going to win.
Groan, groan." So some fans like our chances. What in holy
mother-lovin' hell is so wrong with that?

It's not you, Tommy John. I am a big critic of the Sox and I think many of their problems are self-inflicted. However, this media love affair with the Cubs gets to me. Outside of the overrated Wrigley Field, what do the Cubs have? Certainly not a winning tradition. Their fans know nothing about the game. Their managment knows nothing about the game.

I still think the Sox are underchievers but their overall record during the last 30 plus years is better than the lovable losers. What have the Cubs accomplished since their last World Series appearance in 1945? They managed to get MVPs elected from teams with losing records and they keep their walls fertilized. Some tradition.

MarqSox
08-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Well, maybe Chicago will win. Maybe all the smug Chicago fans will be right in the end. But there are two things for them to remember. One is Chicago inflicted Jim Belushi on America, which is bad karma.

The second is this: The White Sox led 5-2 going in the eighth inning Tuesday. They brought in Billy Koch, who promptly gave up a double because that's what he does anymore. Then, they went to Damaso Marte, probably the White Sox most dominant reliever. He proceeded to walk Desi Relaford. And Angel Berroa, the Royals amazing rookie, blasted a long fly ball to deep center field. It could have been gone. For a minute, Berroa thought it was gone.

But balls die going to center in Cellularskey Park.

1. Belushi is a Cubs fan, so don't look at us.

2. He must have missed that missile that Thomas hit to dead center earlier in the game.

Hangar18
08-06-2003, 03:01 PM
Now that ive had some time to read this article thru and thru, Im going to award him the MIKE KILEY AWARD for Yellow & Irresponsible Journalism. Some things hes right about...but everything else, this guy just Made Up on the Fly. How much do you wanna bet he didnt even have this story written, out enjoying Rush St, chowing down on midnite stuffed Pizza, when he forgot he had a story to write......then wrote this junk. Man, the only reason Im not going to rip him more than Kiley is Posnanski is still a COLUMNIST, free to make things up (sort of) and offer opinions. KILEY has no business doing that. Kiley is a Propoganda Journalist, and this KC guy is YELLOW

MarqSox
08-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
How much do you wanna bet he didnt even have this story written, out enjoying Rush St, chowing down on midnite stuffed Pizza, when he forgot he had a story to write......then wrote this junk.

Actually, I was thinking the opposite ... he had it written before he left KC and just added some details from the game.

dickallen15
08-06-2003, 06:10 PM
Can you imagine this idiot's take on the Royals getting 3 in the ninth today.The Roy Hobbs like homerun off of Flash Gordon the ex Royal who left for a billion dollar contract, Desi Relaford fouling pitch after pitch off until dirt flew in his eyes and he couldn't swing at strike three, which was only called a strike because the umpires had a plane to catch.The Royals are the greatest team in baseball this year, maybe in its entire history.The White Sox have no class. Miguel Olivo actually swung at a pitch last week when they were up by ten runs. Of course he'll fail to mention they lost again.

valposoxfan
08-06-2003, 08:49 PM
Comments about the stadium, the Sox playoff record, cheating in the '19 World Series, riots, etc. are completely irrelevant in this article. This is the worst piece of "professional" journalism that I have ever seen hands down. There is a reason that this pud wad does not work in a big market. Because he couldn't handle that. You will never see anything like that from a Houston, Detroit, New York, Chicago, or L.A. paper. Worst piece of journalism I've ever seen. Make your points but at least make them relevant. This blabbering blatant rip on Sox fans as a whole is a huge cheap shot when it is not deserved at all. KC hardly drew 70,000 for the three game set with us. The Sox drew 108,000+ for the three game set AND THAT INCLUDED A WEEKDAY DAY GAME. Tell me about passion now, amateur. Go back to newspaper delivery, give the typewriter to someone with talent.

doublem23
08-07-2003, 12:50 AM
Anyone else notice how that article was published in the Tribune today, but you won't ever see them publishing anything from a Cardinal or Astro perspective?

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

gosox41
08-07-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

He basis the opinions of Sox fans on 6 people. Maybe in KC that is a fair sample size, but not in Chicago.

Two other things he got wrong, if you want to be picky:

1. It wouldn't be Cellularski park, it would be Cellularskey.

2. The Sox didn't pay Albert $13 mill. per year, it was $11.

Not saying these 2 issues make or break the article, but as a journalist, at least do some research. Maybe he's KC's version of JayMo.

Bob

MarqSox
08-07-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
He basis the opinions of Sox fans on 6 people. Maybe in KC that is a fair sample size, but not in Chicago.

In his defense, it's called anecdotal evidence. He's not saying "100 percent of Chicagoans think this," he's just saying the six he talked to think that. It's possible that those are the only six people in the whole city who think that way, but it's highly improbable. The article is garbage, but the six-person "sample size" isn't the reason.

soxtalker
08-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Take a look at his column for today.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/6475211.htm

It focuses on the Royals, but many on this board will love his comment about how JM handles the Sox bullpen.

MarqSox
08-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Take a look at his column for today.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/6475211.htm

It focuses on the Royals, but many on this board will love his comment about how JM handles the Sox bullpen.

Did he just put Jeremi Gonzalez and Jeremy Bonderman in the same class as Tim Hudson and Esteban Loaiza? Huh? Talk about an apologist.

kevingrt
08-07-2003, 11:54 AM
Can someone get Mariotti or Morrisey or someone to just write up a complete crap article on the Kansas City Royals and there fans!

bobj4400
08-07-2003, 11:59 AM
Jeremi Gonzalez, Jeremy Bonderman, the 2003 version of Brad Radke are considered "very good pitchers" by this guy???? Has anyone ever seen this guy and Mike Kiley in the same room???

inta
08-07-2003, 12:23 PM
that KC Star guy is nuts.
sox fans are the most pessimistic bunch around, which is a good thing.

he must be thinking of the cubs fans and the media harping about the cubs going to the playoffs.

inta
08-07-2003, 12:28 PM
HOLY CRAP
today's article by this jagoff is even worse.

"we just needed one more hit!"

who thinks of baseball like that?

i swear this guy is the biggest ninny....

Hangar18
08-07-2003, 12:34 PM
This guy is DEFINITELY the COLUMNIST VERSION of Mike "Cubpoganda Machine" Kiley

inta
08-07-2003, 12:41 PM
To reach Joe Posnanski, columnist for The Star, call (816) 234-4361 or send e-mail to jposnanski@kcstar.com

at least he leaves contact info, unlike mary-otti