PDA

View Full Version : Appier to Royals

valposoxfan
08-06-2003, 10:02 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/story?id=1590957

Looks like the Royals are on the verge of picking up castoff Appier. Makes me a little concerned...discuss.

Paulwny
08-06-2003, 10:13 AM
I think he's washed up.

delben91
08-06-2003, 10:22 AM
I didn't read the article, but he's had some injury issues this year has he not?

And I don't think he's exactly been "light's out" or even overly "effective" for that matter.

adsit
08-06-2003, 10:22 AM
He started the year unable to fill Anaheim's fifth starter role, and they desperately tried to shop him before the non-waiver trading deadline. Nobody bit. His shoulder may be on the verge of disintegrating... again. And I assume he'll clear waivers in order for KC to be able to sign him, what does that tell you? KC may be gambling that getting him back in a Royals uniform will inspire a return to form, but I don't see it as anything to be concerned about.

gosox41
08-06-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by adsit
He started the year unable to fill Anaheim's fifth starter role, and they desperately tried to shop him before the non-waiver trading deadline. Nobody bit. His shoulder may be on the verge of disintegrating... again. And I assume he'll clear waivers in order for KC to be able to sign him, what does that tell you? KC may be gambling that getting him back in a Royals uniform will inspire a return to form, but I don't see it as anything to be concerned about.

The fact that the Angels are still going to have to pay him $12 mill. next year is a sign of how far he must have fallen.

Bob

valposoxfan
08-06-2003, 10:30 AM
Yeah this looks like the Royals are trying to pull off a miracle and hope that he can miraculously become an effective pitcher again. I don't see it happening at all. They are desperate for pitching.

34 Inch Stick
08-06-2003, 10:52 AM
I've got two words for you: Ken Hill.

They pulled Lima out of their butt already this year (and he is hurt and will return to suck form soon). You don't get two miracles in one year.

SoxxoS
08-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Too many pitching needy teams for ANY decent pitcher to clear waivers to a first place team.

mandmandm
08-06-2003, 11:11 AM
So the Sox could block him from going to the KC? Do the Sox have to sign him them? If the Angels released him does he still have to go through the process or would it be a free agent signing?

WhiteSox = Life
08-06-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/story?id=1590957

Looks like the Royals are on the verge of picking up castoff Appier. Makes me a little concerned...discuss.

The key word here is little, as in little concern.

JJAustin69
08-06-2003, 01:42 PM
He is broken down. I wouldn't worry about it.

FJA
08-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
He is broken down. I wouldn't worry about it.

I am not worried at all.

MHOUSE
08-06-2003, 01:57 PM
While none of their signings or trades have really scared me, the fact is that they're filling their staff with veterans and guys with experience and they can send down all their rookies and overachievers. Come crunch time, Leskanic, Levine, Lloyd, will all be better off out there than some of the other guys they've had. Lima and Appier let them take pressure off of Snyder, Wilson, Ascencio, etc. Most all of these guys are washed up, but veterans win games.

Jjav829
08-06-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Too many pitching needy teams for ANY decent pitcher to clear waivers to a first place team.

Not at that salary. You think theres actually a team out there willing to play over $15 mil during the next 2 years to a 35 year old with an ERA around 6?

Jjav829
08-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
So the Sox could block him from going to the KC? Do the Sox have to sign him them? If the Angels released him does he still have to go through the process or would it be a free agent signing?

The Sox could have blocked the Royals by claiming Appier and taking the hook for his enormous salary. And yes, if they claim him he does become their property. They can't block him but yet not sign him.

Lip Man 1
08-06-2003, 09:58 PM
Like the Padres did with Randy Myers back in 98 (?) They took him to stop the braves from getting him.

Appier is the 4th pitcher the Royals have picked up in the past month.

Give them credit for doing what they can. God how I wish the Sox had Lescanic or Levine!

Lip

MHOUSE
08-07-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Give them credit for doing what they can. God how I wish the Sox had Lescanic or Levine!

Lip

Was that supposed to be teal? I honestly would take Leskanic definately over Koch and Ginter too at least in a playoff run. He's great for an inning every 3rd day or so. High injury risk, but he's lights out. "Non reason to panic, we've got Leskanic!"

Paulwny
08-07-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Not at that salary. You think theres actually a team out there willing to play over $15 mil during the next 2 years to a 35 year old with an ERA around 6?

As GOsox41 stated in an earlier post in this thread the Angels are paying the bulk of Appier's salary.

From the AP
Appier was released by the Angels last week, even though Anaheim still owed him more than $15.6 million. The Royals will pay less than $100,000 for the right-hander this year, and Anaheim also will be responsible for his $12 million salary next year.

Jjav829
08-07-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
As GOsox41 stated in an earlier post in this thread the Angels are paying the bulk of Appier's salary.

From the AP
Appier was released by the Angels last week, even though Anaheim still owed him more than $15.6 million. The Royals will pay less than $100,000 for the right-hander this year, and Anaheim also will be responsible for his $12 million salary next year.

Thats because he cleared waivers. If the Sox, or any other team for that matter, claimed him off waivers they would be on the hook for that $15.6 million contract. However, no team in their right mind, no matter how desperate they were for pitching, was going to claim Appier off waivers. So he cleared waivers and once he cleared, he became a FA meaning that the Angels had to pay his salary over the next 2 years and any team who wanted to sign him, could sign him as a FA.