PDA

View Full Version : WhiteSox/Cubs reunion game

mike squires
08-06-2003, 12:07 AM
I attended the reunion game over the weekend and here is my experience...

some players in attendence were...Luzinski, Fletcher, Pall, Mcdowell, Karkovice, Thigpen... and some crappy cub players.

Overall most of the late 80's and early 90 players still looked in tremendous shape. It makes you wonder why alot of these players are out of the game. It looked like Fletcher could still go get them (I figure he lost some range) Mcdowell (arm trouble) even Karko looked better now than he did then. He may have been slightly heavier and definatly slowed down.

Pasqua was smoking them during BP. Duiring the autograph session I jokingly asked him, "Dan, when you coming out of retirement? You can still hit. He said, I can't run anymore, not that I ever could." He eventually poked a homerun during the game.

I went up to the bull and and told him I saw his roof shot off of Oil Can Boyd. HE could have cared less. He looked bored and would have rather been somewhere else. "That was a long time ago" he replied.

Karko sported a JIm "the Anvil" Neidhart GO T.

Black Jack was friendly. I told him I've e-mailed him about Wilco a few times. We talked about Wilco for a minute and he was very pleasent.

Overall, it was a fun evening and came home with a Sports Illustrated autographed cover of The Bull and got him and fletch to sign my old Comiskey seat. 6 83 players to date.

anyone else go. I can't believe noone has mentioned it, unless I overlooked it.

mrwag
08-06-2003, 08:09 AM
Crap, I wanted to go to that and 4got all about it.

Who won?

mike squires
08-06-2003, 09:15 AM
When I left in the bottome of the seventh (they only played seven innings) Sox were winning 2 to nothing. (i think) Nobody really paid much attention to the score, it was mostly just for fun. Harry Chappas was also there. I can't believe he played pro-ball. He looked as if he was only 3 foot tall. He lined them pretty good during the game though. He wore these old worn white pony cleats...Although Luzinski is into his 50's and put on some weight he ewas still lining them down the thrid base line pretty good.

hamburger, fries and a large soda...12 bucks

ice cream of the future in a montreal helmet...5 bucks

watching greg luzinski walke down to first after a base hit and then switching with an unknown young first base coach...priceless

maurice
08-06-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
Pasqua was smoking them during BP.

Given Pasqua's non-baseball-related history, this sentence can be taken two different ways.

:)

mike squires
08-06-2003, 10:40 AM
That might be the most hilarous post I've seen in a long time! Great job Maurice!!!

Lip Man 1
08-06-2003, 10:55 AM
Donn was saying that he wasn't sure what he was supposed to do on the mound. Let the guys hit the ball or actually try to pitch.

You could tell anytime an athlete gets out on a field in front of fans they want to win and the juices kick in.

Apparently he struck out a few guys then decided to take it easy.

He said he had a great time.

Lip

mike squires
08-06-2003, 11:08 AM
I was sitting down the left field line and watched him warm up. he could still smoke it in there pretty good. It was alwo pretty cool to watch Karko warm up Thigpen. IT was great seeing those guys again. Raines was a nice guy also.