PDA

View Full Version : Any word on Miggy?

doublem23
08-05-2003, 10:11 PM
Have they said anything on the injury and how long he is expected to be out?

A have a bad feeling the lack of catching in this organization is about to bite us in the ass.

OEO Magglio
08-05-2003, 10:45 PM
On the post game show they said that he'll be day to day.

WinningUgly!
08-05-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
On the post game show they said that he'll be day to day.

From whitesox.com...

Olivo was hurt as he scored on Alomar's hit, tripping over catcher Brent Mayne and bruising his right shoulder. An examination found no structural damage, and Olivo was listed as day-to-day after leaving the game in the third.

gosox3072
08-05-2003, 10:54 PM
wow thats HUGE, losing Olivo would hurt more than most would think. Miguel is one of the best defensive catchers in the leauge. Without him we would see a lot more teams stealing bases on us.

Give Olivo a week off to recover and hell be fine!!!

OEO Magglio
08-05-2003, 10:55 PM
Hopefully Miguel will be fine, the lack of catching depth was also the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw Miguel go down.Can we get Josh Paul back from the Cubs?

doublem23
08-05-2003, 11:16 PM
Bullet. Dodged.

delben91
08-06-2003, 07:47 AM
Though it looks like Miguel will be fine, it brings up the question: Are Jamie Burke or Rivera in Charlotte capable of playing passable ball for a couple weeks if Sandy, or god-forbid, Olivo have to go on the DL?

I know Burke has been solid, if not spectacular all year, and that Rivera has been hot since the Sox picked him up, but know nothing about their long term prospects. They're both "older" right?

WinningUgly!
08-06-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by gosox3072
wow thats HUGE, losing Olivo would hurt more than most would think. Miguel is one of the best defensive catchers in the leauge. Without him we would see a lot more teams stealing bases on us.

Give Olivo a week off to recover and hell be fine!!!

Alomar as our everyday catcher is a scary thought & not only because of the way teams would be running all over us. Sandy is not exactly the most durable player in the league. I'm not sure he's physically able to even play 4 games a week.

maurice
08-06-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted on whitesox.com
Olivo was hurt as he scored on Alomar's hit, tripping over catcher Brent Mayne and bruising his right shoulder. An examination found no structural damage, and Olivo was listed as day-to-day after leaving the game in the third.

This doesn't relax me in the slightest. This is similar to what the scrubs said the day after Patterson got hurt and what the Sox said for about a week after Thomas tore his tricep. IIRC, they both later received MRIs, which revealed season-ending injuries. I'm still hoping for the best but glad we have Rivera (instead of Paul) in reserve.

Foulke You
08-06-2003, 11:19 AM
If Olivo needs to be shelved for more than four straight games then they should put him on the DL and call someone up immediately. Sandy is a fine backup catcher but I think if he had to play 5 or 6 in a row we'd be sending him back to the DL and then our catching situation would be real ugly.

Randar68
08-06-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
If Olivo needs to be shelved for more than four straight games then they should put him on the DL and call someone up immediately. Sandy is a fine backup catcher but I think if he had to play 5 or 6 in a row we'd be sending him back to the DL and then our catching situation would be real ugly.

15-day DL for more than 4 days of missed time? Are you nuts?

The way he landed, it would likely be a broken bone. He will be fine, people.

If this team has to do without Olivo for more than 15 days, we're screwed. Put Wright back in Charlotte if you have to call up a catcher for a few days. Good lord, 15 day DL??? GMAB.