PDA

View Full Version : Rauch v. Claussen

spanishwhite
08-05-2003, 10:47 PM
Guess who won the duel?

Rauch has been up and down in Charlotte, and I thought that
he deserved a little shout out because of all the people who have lost faith in him.

Hope he can keep it up!

pudge
08-05-2003, 10:51 PM
All I want to know: Is he ready to be our #5?

WinningUgly!
08-05-2003, 10:56 PM
I feel bad for Jon. There was no way that guy could live up to all the hype that was piled on him a few years ago. I still think he'll be a top of the rotation type pitcher eventually, once his injury problems are behind him.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/sigs/SEARSTOWER.JPG

SoxxoS
08-05-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I feel bad for Jon. There was no way that guy could live up to all the hype that was piled on him a few years ago. I still think he'll be a top of the rotation type pitcher eventually, once his injury problems are behind him.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/sigs/SEARSTOWER.JPG

Just a shame he had the worst possible shoulder injury, even though the scouting reports all raved about his mechanics.

Lip Man 1
08-05-2003, 11:25 PM
Jon is physically and mentall beat. He's done until next year (if then)

Lip

doublem23
08-05-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Jon is physically and mentall beat. He's done until next year (if then)

Lip

That 6 innings of work with 3 hits and an unearned run really prove your point.

SoxOnTop
08-06-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
[B]I feel bad for Jon. There was no way that guy could live up to all the hype that was piled on him a few years ago.

That's a bunch of BS!!! Every player in the minor leagues has that kind of pressure to make the bigs. If you don't have the mentality for the game then you don't have it. Plain and simple.

I would, however, like to see him 2 years removed from surgery before I make that assesment...

doublem23
08-06-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
That's a bunch of BS!!! Every player in the minor leagues has that kind of pressure to make the bigs. If you don't have the mentality for the game then you don't have it. Plain and simple.

I would, however, like to see him 2 years removed from surgery before I make that assesment...

Jon didn't have pressure just to make it to the bigs; he was expected to be a top of the line starter. That's a lot of pressure.

Randar68
08-06-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Jon didn't have pressure just to make it to the bigs; he was expected to be a top of the line starter. That's a lot of pressure.

Yes, but it has had nothing to do with any of that. Jon is a real mature guy and after going through the health issues he had in college to the shoulder injury, I have no doubt about his maturity and ability to handle "expectations."

Jon's problems stem from his shoulder injury. You'll never see a guy with better mechanics than Jon displayed in his 2000 "MLPOY" campaign. He routinely hit mid 90's on the gun and his fastball generally sat in the 92-94 range. He has not regained that velocity. In addition, he is not a guy who beats people on pure velocity. To a large extent, he is a control-type pitcher. After a year off from shoulder surgery, he didn't have his control, as whitnessed by the early 2002 control and BB problems. He wasn't hitting his spots and he was frustrated beyond belief. A large part of it for Jon is confidence. He is a fly ball pitcher, and a lot of the runs he's given up this year have been on HR's. Charlotte is one of the (I believe it is THE) smallest park in all of the minor leagues.

He needs to get out of CHarlotte. Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing him go to AA and get his confidence back. He has his control back for the most part, and if he can stay away from the injury, he can still be a VERY good MLB pitcher.

I don't know if he'll ever regain the form he showed in 2000 and become the dominant #1 or #2 type pitcher he was expected to become. However, he could come in next year and help this team as a #3 or #4 type of pitcher IMO. He's better than Danny Wright right now.

For Jon's future, it all hinges on his health. I am very concerned with the most recent stint on the DL for "shoulder soreness". I really pray Jon stays healthy and makes it, because they are few nicer guys in all of baseball, and he has worked his tail off the past 4 years to get to the big leagues despite his set backs.

:rauch