PDA

View Full Version : Frank's HOF Chances

RKMeibalane
08-05-2003, 04:02 PM
They are discussing Frank's chances of being inducted into the Hall of Fame on Around the Horn. I wonder what Mariotti will say.

Grobber33
08-05-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
They are discussing Frank's chances of being inducted into the Hall of Fame on Around the Horn. I wonder what Mariotti will say.

It does'nt matter what anyone says----HE'S A HALL OF FAMER RIGHT NOW!! Frank can walk away from the game now and he's in the Halll----PERIOD!

Dadawg_77
08-05-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33
It does'nt matter what anyone says----HE'S A HALL OF FAMER RIGHT NOW!! Frank can walk away from the game now and he's in the Halll----PERIOD!

Wow, I think you are the first Cub fan I have ever heard say that.

FJA
08-05-2003, 04:14 PM
It was during "Buy or Sell" and everyone bought Frank as an HOFer.

RKMeibalane
08-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by FJA
It was during "Buy or Sell" and everyone bought Frank as an HOFer.

Honestly, I don't see how anyone could say that Frank doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. Yes, he had a bad year last year, but ninety five percent of the players currently in the Major Leagues would give anything to have season like that.

If it weren't for his missing most of 2001, I think Frank would have a shot at three thousand hits, as well as five hundred home runs.

Grobber33
08-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Wow, I think you are the first Cub fan I have ever heard say that.

I have been saying he's a Hall of Famer for 5 years!! Anything he adds from here on is just gravy. I have plenty of Friends who are Cub Fans and many who are Sox Fans,and almost all of the Cubs Fans say Frank is IN,, yet only about half of the Sox fans think he's a HOFer. Go figure!!

RKMeibalane
08-05-2003, 04:52 PM
I have been saying he's a Hall of Famer for 5 years!! Anything he adds from here on is just gravy. I have plenty of Friends who are Cub Fans and many who are Sox Fans,and almost all of the Cubs Fans say Frank is IN,, yet only about half of the Sox fans think he's a HOFer. Go figure!!

The group of Sox fans who don't think he's worthy of HOF induction is appropriately known as the "Frank-haters."

Grobber33
08-05-2003, 04:54 PM
The group of Sox fans who don't think he's worthy of HOF induction is appropriately known as the "Frank-haters."

They are also know NOTHINGS!!!

voodoochile
08-05-2003, 05:16 PM

Hey, Les. You trying to get on people's good sides around here? :)

I couldn't have said it better.

Les, speaking of Frank, do you feel the Sox have treated him fairly in the last few years?

Do you see a difference betwen that and the way Sosa has been treated by Cubs management?

gogosoxgogo
08-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Frank is in!

.310+ career batting average
400+ career home runs (he'll finish with 500+)
1400+ career RBIs (he'll finish with 1500+)
2 Time MVP (plus came in second in 2000)
? Time All Star

Come on, those numbers are incredible. If he quit the game right now, he would be inducted. Just because his last few years (less 2000) have not been up to Frank's par, that doesn't mean you discredit everything he has done up until then. In the mid 90's, this guy was the most feared right handed hitter in the game. He's in - end of story.

By the way, did Moronotti really say he deserves to be in? I could have sworn I heard him the other day on ESPN Radio 1000 saying that Frank doesn't have a chance if he doesn't get to 500 homers.

RKMeibalane
08-05-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
By the way, did Moronotti really say he deserves to be in? I could have sworn I heard him the other day on ESPN Radio 1000 saying that Frank doesn't have a chance if he doesn't get to 500 homers.

Mariotti said that he thinks Frank is deserving, provided he reaches the five hundred home run mark.

mack10zie
08-05-2003, 09:03 PM
Mariotti said that he thinks Frank is deserving, provided he reaches the five hundred home run mark.

Yeah, he said that Frank was deserving provided he reach 500, but he also added that he did indeed think that Frank would reach 500 and he seemed pretty confident about that.

voodoochile
08-05-2003, 09:07 PM
They put up a graphic during the game of a list of the 12 (or so) players who have the following stats:

400 HR
2000 H
.300+ Avg.

I can't remember them all, but every single one of them is in the HOF except for Bagwell and Frank.

The following is a partial list of the rest of them:

Ruth
Gehrig
Musial
Mays
Aaron
Foxx
Ott

I didn't write it down. I am sure there are plenty of people who can fill in the blanks.

One more piece of evidence that Frank is a shoe in, IMO.

doublem23
08-05-2003, 09:07 PM
During the game, they showed all the players in history to have 2,000+ hits, 400+ HRs, and a .300+ lifetime BA...

Some names.. Lou Gehrig, Stan Musial, Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Frank Thomas, Jeff Bagwell... Couple others that escape me as of now. Either way... If there was any justice in the world, there'd be no need to even debate this.

RKMeibalane
08-05-2003, 09:08 PM
I don't want to sound like I'm leaving in a dream world, but...

I was thinking about this earlier. Right now, Frank has twenty seven home runs. If he finishes the season with forty home runs, then his career total will be at 416.

Let's assume for the moment that he is healthy the following two seasons, and his numbers in each of those years closely resemble his production from this season. Forty home runs in both 2004 and 2005 would bring his total to 496.

Now, Frank has said that he would like to play at least until he is forty. By the end of the 2005 season, he will be thirty seven. That leaves him with three more years of baseball. If he can manage to hit between thirty and thirty five home runs in each of those three seasons, he has a shot at six hundred home runs.

If he reaches that mark, he deserves to be in on the first ballot.

Daver
08-05-2003, 09:16 PM

Now, Frank has said that he would like to play at least until he is forty. By the end of the 2005 season, he will be thirty seven. That leaves him with three more years of baseball. If he can manage to hit between thirty and thirty five home runs in each of those three seasons, he has a shot at six hundred home runs.

If he reaches that mark, he deserves to be in on the first ballot.

He deserves to be on the first ballot if he retired tomorrow,he has put up numbers to prove it.If he decides to continue till he is forty that will merely be icing on the cake.

RKMeibalane
08-05-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by daver
He deserves to be on the first ballot if he retired tomorrow,he has put up numbers to prove it.

I know that, and you know that. But the baseball writers are idiots.

doublem23
08-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Couple of points here... I don't know if Frank will come close to 40 a year... He's only hit the 40 mark four times* (1993, 1994, 1996, and 2000... Had 38 in 1994 113 games into the year)... Though, his high total is only 43, so I don't know how likely it is that Frank will hit 40 year in and year out. But hey, :gulp:

600? Let's break 410 first. :)

Nellie_Fox
08-05-2003, 11:53 PM
Hank Aaron only had eight seasons of forty or more homers out of his 23 seasons.

Bisco Stu
08-06-2003, 01:31 AM
If Frank isn't a first ballot HOF, then they better remove that scumbag Revoltin' Joe...

34 Inch Stick
08-06-2003, 09:00 AM
I would like to see Frank play every one of his major league games in a Sox uniform.

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2003, 12:46 AM
The other night, all the BBTN guys agreed that Frank is an HOFer. Last night, Kurkjian said he had gotten some crap from people for saying Frank belongs in the hall. As he was defending it, Harold Reynolds was yelling in the background "what are these people thinking? What have they been watching? It's not about one season, it's about a career."

Then they all seemed to agree that he'd get 500 homers anyway, which is an "automatic" for the hall.