PDA

View Full Version : Two Great Columns


Lip Man 1
08-05-2003, 01:44 PM
There are two terriffic columns today dealing with the Sox, the Chicago media and the fans.

I recommend them both very much.

Paul Lawdewski in the Daily Southtown (Hanger 18 will like it!) and Jay Mariotti in the Sun Times.

Lip

Hangar18
08-05-2003, 01:45 PM
Links?

A.T. Money
08-05-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Links?

No kidding...

Lip Man 1, you can't tease us anymore with these threads and not provide some links. Come on now, brudda! :D:

Jerko
08-05-2003, 02:31 PM
here's one for ladewski (I hope it works)

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/051sd2.htm[/URL]

Iwritecode
08-05-2003, 02:33 PM
Southtown link (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/051sd2.htm)

Moron link (http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay05.html)

Iwritecode
08-05-2003, 02:48 PM
Ok, now that I've read them both, I have to agree they are both very good columns that really hit the nail on the head.

It's about time the media realizes that Sox fans aren't "bad" fans because we don't show up in droves to watch a bad/mediocre team day in and day out like the Northsiders do. If the team starts winning, we'll show up. Simple as that. I just can't believe it's taken everyone this long to figure this out.

Lawdewski mentioned the same basic thing but also brought up media coverage.

One night earlier, the Sox completed their three-game barbecue at Kansas City to pull within one game of the Royals, the closest they had been to the American League Central lead in three months. It also happened that the Cubs had inquired about Rafael Palmeiro before the trade deadline earlier the same day. So what was front and center in one Chicago newspaper the next day? A full-page picture of Mr. Viagra himself, natch. All that for a deal that had petered out.

At this rate, one can only imagine the headlines in the next few weeks ...

Page 1: "Sammy hits two, Cubs lose"

Page 8: "Ordonez keys Sox victory"

Page 1: "Cubs streak to second in a row"

Page 6: "Sox clinch AL Central crown"

Page 1: "Dusty: Next Year is almost here"

Page 4: "Sox spank Yanks, capture ALCS"

Page 1: "Early frost threatens Wrigley ivy!"

Page 2: "Sox get lucky, sweep World Series"

I almost thought I was reading a post on this site... :cool:

JJAustin69
08-05-2003, 03:00 PM
Yes, recommended reading for everyone at WSI. We can take this town over this year! Cmon Sox we deserve it.

Rocky Soprano
08-05-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
here's one for ladewski (I hope it works)

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/051sd2.htm[/URL]


:o:

Has to be one of the best articles I have read. I am printing this one out.

Hangar18
08-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
There are two terriffic columns today dealing with the Sox, the Chicago media and the fans.

I recommend them both very much.

Paul Lawdewski in the Daily Southtown (Hanger 18 will like it!) and Jay Mariotti in the Sun Times.

Lip

Your Right.....I did like this one. Almost felt like I wrote it. This is good....the words getting out........this Bogus Coverage the Sox get in the mistaken and foolish belief that Chicago is everything cub is being proved wrong......
BUT...im a bit Suspicious. Why has it taken the Media, national and local, to finally "figure" out that the cubs and their fans are Phony? hmmmmmmmmm

TornLabrum
08-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Your Right.....I did like this one. Almost felt like I wrote it. This is good....the words getting out........this Bogus Coverage the Sox get in the mistaken and foolish belief that Chicago is everything cub is being proved wrong......
BUT...im a bit Suspicious. Why has it taken the Media, national and local, to finally "figure" out that the cubs and their fans are Phony? hmmmmmmmmm

They're in contention now. That means it's time to tear them down. That's how it works with the media. Build up the popularity of someone or something and then rip it to shreds when they get too big.