PDA

View Full Version : The AL Central is totally winnable.

cheeses_h_rice
08-05-2003, 11:10 AM
OK, last night sucked. Sunday sucked. Saturday sucked. But, all hope is not lost, Sox fans. Because of the imbalance in scheduling, relying heavily on intra-divisional games, the Sox can take this division as long as they play the Twins and Royals much better head-to-head. I mean by sweeping series or taking 2 of 3 or 3 of 4 minimum, every time. The Twins, IMO, are the team to beat, given their remaining schedule features almost all mediocre teams, plus the Royals and White Sox. The Twins have *12* games left against the Indians out of 51 -- unbelievable. Meanwhile, the Sox play the A's, Yankees (twice), and Red Sox (twice), while the Royals get the Yanks, and that's it among the premier teams of the AL. The Sox's only saving grace in this schedule is that 27 out of 50 games are at home.

Let's compare the remaining schedules, shall we?

ROYALS 52 games remaining (23 home, 29 away):

Home:

Yankees (3)
Twins (3)
Rangers (3)
Angels (3)
D-backs (1)
Indians (3)
Tigers (3)
White Sox (4)

Away:

White Sox (5)
D-Rays (4)
Yankees (3)
Twins (4)
Rangers (3)
Angels (3)
Tigers (4)
Indians (3)

WHITE SOX 50 games remaining (27 home, 23 away)

Home:

Royals (5)
As (3)
Angels (3)
Rangers (4)
Red Sox (2)
Indians (3)
Twins (4)
Yankees (3)

Away:
Angels (4)
Rangers (3)
Yankees (3)
Tigers (3)
Red Sox (3)
Twins (3)
Royals (4)

TWINS 51 games remaining (22 home, 29 away)

Home:
Indians (6)
Royals (4)
Angels (3)
Rangers (3)
White Sox (3)
Tigers (3)

Away:
White Sox (4)
Indians (6)
Tigers (4)
Orioles (3)
Tigers (3)
Royals (3)
Angels (3)
Rangers (3)

Reading between the lines, it's obvious that the division will be decided on the head-to-head matchups. The Sox will be at a disadvantage, playing such a high-caliber lineup of teams, so they need to begin thumping the Royals and Twins at every turn. This has to begin tonight.

rahulsekhar
08-05-2003, 11:19 AM
Man - I didn't realize the disparity in schedules. Counting games against "good" teams - I have

KC: 27 (Yanks, DBacks, Twins, Sox)
Sox: 33 (KC, Twins, Yanks, As, BoSox)
Twins: 14 (Royals, Sox)

I actually think the Sox can beat the Royals enough H2H to make up for any disparity in the other games. But the Twins have a real opportunity to beat up on teams and will be in it if they even split the 14 v. KC/Chi.

Procol Harum
08-05-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Reading between the lines, it's obvious that the division will be decided on the head-to-head matchups. The Sox will be at a disadvantage, playing such a high-caliber lineup of teams, so they need to begin thumping the Royals and Twins at every turn. This has to begin tonight.

Cheeses, I thought you were trying to make us feel good about our prospects! You are proposing that the Chicago White Sox take advantage of their one opportunity to slide in and win the division--that despite playing maybe sub-.500 ball against the rest of the AL that they somehow play .800+ against their main competitors. These guys haven't given me any reason to think that they have the cajones to step up and take advantage of that kind of scenario--but it reads like the M.O. of the Royals thus far this year and sounds a lot like what the Twins have done in the past. I'm depressed.... :(:

sox_fan_forever
08-05-2003, 11:30 AM
Jeez, I knew the Twins had an easy schedule, but I hadn't actually looked at it! That's unbelievable.

harwar
08-05-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
These guys haven't given me any reason to think that they have the cajones to step up and take advantage of that kind of scenario--but it reads like the M.O. of the Royals thus far this year and sounds a lot like what the Twins have done in the past. I'm depressed.... :(:

Yes,exactly how i feel.
Although it is a great post by Cheeses it just reminds me of how the Sox usually play in Big Games when the chips are down and the pressure is REALLY on.
Last night was a HUGE missed opportunity to show the whole world( including themselves) just exactly what the White Sox are made of.
Well,i guess they saw.

Jerko
08-05-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever
Jeez, I knew the Twins had an easy schedule, but I hadn't actually looked at it! That's unbelievable.

That's why playing with little league rules until after the all star game will kill us, and no matter who defends him, that falls on JM's head.

cheeses_h_rice
08-05-2003, 11:38 AM
Cheeses, I thought you were trying to make us feel good about our prospects! You are proposing that the Chicago White Sox take advantage of their one opportunity to slide in and win the division--that despite playing maybe sub-.500 ball against the rest of the AL that they somehow play .800+ against their main competitors. These guys haven't given me any reason to think that they have the cajones to step up and take advantage of that kind of scenario--but it reads like the M.O. of the Royals thus far this year and sounds a lot like what the Twins have done in the past. I'm depressed.... :(:

Sorry to bum you out. Man, that Twins schedule is something else, now that I look at it more carefully.

But, the Sox can turn it on against the AL East powerhouses when they need to. And every game they beat the Twins and Royals puts their opponents 1 game further back.

I guess I shouldn't have said "totally winnable." More like "possibly winnable."

:(:

Procol Harum
08-05-2003, 11:42 AM
But, the Sox can turn it on against the AL East powerhouses when they need to. And every game they beat the Twins and Royals puts their opponents 1 game further back.

I guess I shouldn't have said "totally winnable." More like "possibly winnable."

:(:

You make a good point in saying that the Sox can ratchet up their level of play against the Big Boys out East. But those teams are both so good, even that would probably leave us at .500 with them. Heck, I'm just hopin' that we don't see a typical Sox scenario this week against KC and then Oakland and find ourselves 7 games out come Sunday night.

cheeses_h_rice
08-05-2003, 11:45 AM
You make a good point in saying that the Sox can ratchet up their level of play against the Big Boys out East. But those teams are both so good, even that would probably leave us at .500 with them. Heck, I'm just hopin' that we don't see a typical Sox scenario this week against KC and then Oakland and find ourselves 7 games out come Sunday night.

And another point to consider is that the Sox have been heating up the past few weeks, while MN and KC are playing about where they've always been. The Sox also play a lot better at home, so their schedule is a help there, too.

TornLabrum
08-05-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever

Thay have a scedule as hard as our first half. If they play as poorly as we did when we had a schedule like that...well...

Procol Harum
08-05-2003, 11:48 AM
And another point to consider is that the Sox have been heating up the past few weeks, while MN and KC are playing about where they've always been. The Sox also play a lot better at home, so their schedule is a help there, too.

So we hope! Of course, there's a difference in heating up and playing well at home when there's something actually on the line. Boy, I think I'm scarred from being a Sox fan all these years....

A.T. Money
08-05-2003, 11:53 AM
I'm not getting my hopes up again. Manager Ghandi will find a way to rest guys or tinker when it matters most. He's flushing our dreams down the toilet!

voodoochile
08-05-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
I'm not getting my hopes up again. Manager Ghandi will find a way to rest guys or tinker when it matters most. He's flushing our dreams down the toilet!

I will be shocked if he doesn't tinker with tonight's lineup. Rowand and Graff for starters, but anything is possible...

kevingrt
08-05-2003, 12:09 PM
Twinkies have the easiest 2nd half schedule I have ever seen. It's insane! I haven't looked but they must have had an impossible first half schedule so maybe that's why they have such a sucky record.

kempsted
08-05-2003, 12:37 PM

Actually, Minnosota has been the second hottest team in the AL since the allstar break - second to the Sox. Baltimore has been the third hottest team. Hopefully the O's will win the next three against the Twinks. It is amazing actually - the O's have been over 500 every month (including last month where they were hot second only to the Chicago WhiteSox) except for June where they were awful. Why were they awful? They played bad against the NL. If you subtract the NL games they were 4 games OVER 500.

ma-gaga
08-05-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Twinkies have the easiest 2nd half schedule I have ever seen. It's insane! I haven't looked but they must have had an impossible first half schedule so maybe that's why they have such a sucky record.

Cleveland's played well against the Twins so far (2-4). Amazingly enough, the team that will end up derailing the Twins could very likely be the Indians.