PDA

View Full Version : So how 'bout that bullpen...

MarkEdward
08-05-2003, 01:31 AM
You know you're in a sad state of affairs when Matt Ginter is your number two righty out of the pen. Seriously, I'm a fan of Matt Ginter. He could become a quality reliever. However, I really don't think he should be put into high-pressure situations at this moment. He's just not ready for it.

Kenny Williams should probably make a move soon. We only have two above-average relievers right now (Gordon and Marte). Wunsch is very effective, but he's a LOOGY.

So Williams has three choices: A) leave things the way they are and hope for the best. B) Go after a righty on the waiver wire. C) Move Shoeneweis into the rotation and move Wright to the pen.

hold2dibber
08-05-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
So Williams has three choices: A) leave things the way they are and hope for the best. B) Go after a righty on the waiver wire. C) Move Shoeneweis into the rotation and move Wright to the pen.

(A) is not a good option; although it is possible that either Ginter or Koch will suddenly become effective, I'm not a big fan of just "hoping" that that happens.

(B) Probably the best option, but of course it depends upon who and for how much. Does anyone have any names of right handed relievers pitching for non-contenders that are likely to make it through waivers and are good enough that they would actually be good additions? My guess is that the list is not very long.

(C) Not an option; Schoenweiss hasn't thrown more than 39 pitches in a game this year. He is not anywhere near being ready to step into a starting role 110 games into the season.

They also could acquire a 5th starter via a waiver trade (I don't know who might be available - Hentgen? Helling? I don't know if they're any better than Wright) or call up Cotts for the 5th starter, and then put Wright in the bullpen. But I also don't know if Wright would be any better as a reliever than he has been this year as a starter. Good Lord I wish KW had been able to land Scott Williamson.

chosk8
08-05-2003, 08:25 AM
I thought that the key moment of the game was when Tucker hit the ball off his shin and they brought in Harvey to finish the at-bat. Shoeneweis should have put it right there for a player coming off the bench cold. At the time I thought it was a mistake by Pena using Harvey in that situation. Why not use a weaker hitter, but someone with good wheels to see 1 pitch with a 50/50 chance of getting on with a walk and saving Harvey for a full at-bat later in the game. Turned out it was a non-issue, but still IMO a mistake by Pena and and even bigger mistake by Shoeneweis. Shoeneweis should have been tossing with Olivo to keep loose during the delay (unless he was and TV wasn't showing it). That is a must out in that sort of situation.

Jerko
08-05-2003, 09:22 AM
Well, if the bullpen is so bad, then maybe we should wait as long as possible before going to the bullpen instead of in the 6th inning with a 3 run lead.