PDA

View Full Version : General impressions of the Cell 8/4

FJA
08-05-2003, 12:45 AM
1) I was a little disappointed there wasn't a great ovation before the game, but that's what losing two in a row will do, I guess.

2) The crowd seemed to fall apart, for the most part, after Garland was pulled. People watching the game didn't know what the hell Manuel was doing, and people who were there to drink had a chance to get another beer. Once Tucker went down, the crowd got bored and started the wave. Then the Royals took the fans out of the game (temporarily). An inning or so later, fights started to break out, and I'm talking nasty fights (more on that in a minute). Then, with the Sox down by one run in the 8th, A LOT OF PEOPLE STARTED LEAVING. Were they disappointed Mike Downey didn't lead the crowd in the 7th inning stretch? Were they only there to keep a tab on the Twins score? Maybe it was the Frog Races they were there to see. Either way, I thought it was embarrassing that people were flocking to the exits in such a close and important game. Obviously not much was made of it on TV, etc., so we'll have to sweep it under the carpet.

3) The fights. I am really glad this didn't get coverage on ESPN, because they looked bad, especially the one in the right field corner. The left field corner looked ridiculous too, with guys trying to throw security over chairs, but in right field, there were at least four sections of fans watching the fight(s) and not the game. From where I was, I saw a lot of beer thrown, and I think, though I'm not sure, the fight involved Sox fans abusing several Royals fans. It looked ugly, and my big worry was that ESPN was going to play it off as "First Gamboa, then Diaz, now Sox fans are attacking Royals fans." Again, not much was made of it on TV, etc., so we'll have to sweep it under the carpet.

4) It was great to see a full stadium cheering the Sox on. Unfortunately, they choked and I don't think we'll see it as full tomorrow. I hope I'm proven wrong, but something tells me tomorrow will be more along the lines of the 35,000 or so we expect for half-price. Had we won today, I think we could have gone 40,000 again, but I highly doubt it now.

Shoeless Joe
08-05-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by FJA
2) The crowd seemed to fall apart, for the most part, after Garland was pulled. People watching the game didn't know what the hell Manuel was doing, and people who were there to drink had a chance to get another beer. Once Tucker went down, the crowd got bored and started the wave.

I felt sick once the entire UD was gleefully starting the wave. And I know there was a huge discussion about this not too long ago but the wave sucks!

Hokiesox
08-05-2003, 08:23 AM
I'll tell you what I did notice, and it did get mentioned by ESPN... the crowd gave Tucker a nice hand when they wheeled him out on a stretcher. I thought that showed a lot of class, and that's about all that I noticed mentioned about the fans.

bobj4400
08-05-2003, 08:30 AM
I didnt get to watch the the game after the Crede's HR last night, b/c I had a softball game of my own, so I didnt see the implosion of the bullpen or any of the crowd reactions, but I did get to work this morning to find an email from a friend in KC who watched the game on TV. This was his comment:

"I think my favorite part of the game was when a bunch of the fans started leaving early because fights were breaking out left and right in the stadium. You southside meth-heads are such TRASH!"

From comments I have read on this board, I am thinking that he may be right about why people were leaving early. How could there be this many fights??? It DOESN'T happen at other parks and is a sad commentary on White Sox fans...

Hangar18
08-05-2003, 08:54 AM
No.....thats not why people left EARLY (because of the fights)
They LEFT EARLY because the team Looked LAME and QUIT in the 7th inning. I hate to say this, but I left Early...that game was
U-G-L-Y. It was like watching a Little League Team taking on a High School Team. Brutal. Especially the way they kept Hitting and Running on us...Knowing weve got the Sloooooowest Center Fielder in the MLB right now (every guy took an extra base on him....NOT very good DEFENSE in close games now is he?) I left early because I was AGGRAVATED at the way Jerry Manuel was BOTCHING a 6-3 lead by taking out Garland way way too early.....Taxing our Bullpen by using an assortment of pitchers out of character. So today.....I'll bet we see Everett out in CF again...and batting 5th.......Im really not liking this guy.

FoulkeFan
08-05-2003, 08:58 AM
I was at the game last night since it is part of my partial season ticket package. I highly doubt that fights don't happen in other parks, but I will agree that last night seemed out of control. I was in the upper deck, 2nd row between home and first, and had a good view of the fights in both corners. They looked pretty nasty, with people tumbling over seats and down the stairs. That being said, I don't think these people were all Sox fans and that this reflects badly on us. I think too many people come just to party when you can buy a $6 upper deck seat. Also, the length of the game (most of the fights seemed to start after 10 pm) with its numerous pitching changes (Thanks Jerry!) allowed people to consume a few more beers than normal I think.

Hangar18
08-05-2003, 09:37 AM
On a side note....was cool to meet a customer of mine on the
Fan Deck yesterday...forgot she was a big Sox Fan. also on a
side note......was standing with some people, watching the Sox Bullpen give up 7 runs, and ran into SoxDemon. Nice to meet him cool guy. Always cool to meet up with other WSI'ers ....

A.T. Money
08-05-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
On a side note....was cool to meet a customer of mine on the
Fan Deck yesterday...forgot she was a big Sox Fan. also on a
side note......was standing with some people, watching the Sox Bullpen give up 7 runs, and ran into SoxDemon. Nice to meet him cool guy. Always cool to meet up with other WSI'ers ....

Yeah, isn't funny how things happen like that? If you didn't post your mug on the site, I would have walked right past you and wouldn't have thought about it.

alohafri
08-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Soxdemon,

Now that you've met Hangar in person, watch for him on TV during Sox games--he's even on there when the Sox are out of town! :D:

(Mrs. Aloha)

MarqSox
08-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by FoulkeFan
I highly doubt that fights don't happen in other parks, but I will agree that last night seemed out of control.

For what it's worth, I've been to games at Miller, County, SkyDome, Olympic, Jacobs, Fenway, Busch, Metrodome, Quallcomm and Wrigley ... and with the exception of Cubs/Sox games on the North Side, I've never seen a fight anywhere else. That's not to say they don't happen anywhere else ... but it sure seems like we get an inordinate amount.

steff
08-05-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
How could there be this many fights??? It DOESN'T happen at other parks and is a sad commentary on White Sox fans...

I've been to many, MANY parks.. it happens at ALL of them.

steff
08-05-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
For what it's worth, I've been to games at Miller, County, SkyDome, Olympic, Jacobs, Fenway, Busch, Metrodome, Quallcomm and Wrigley ... and with the exception of Cubs/Sox games on the North Side, I've never seen a fight anywhere else. That's not to say they don't happen anywhere else ... but it sure seems like we get an inordinate amount.

There were fights at the AS game at Miller last year. I've seen one every single time I've been to Cleveland. Try Fenway during the Yankee series. And Wrigley on the weekends.. always good for a few.

A.T. Money
08-05-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
Soxdemon,

Now that you've met Hangar in person, watch for him on TV during Sox games--he's even on there when the Sox are out of town! :D:

(Mrs. Aloha)

I saw his 2000 sign in KC, and I saw him up on the fan deck during the Sox/Cubs game with his cork sign.

It was cool to meet him though. It was pretty random.

bobj4400
08-05-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
I've been to many, MANY parks.. it happens at ALL of them.

In isolated instances, yes, there are fights at other ballparks. You can never stop every idiot determined to do something stupid. At our park, if there are more than 30,000 people in the stands, you are guaranteed to see at least 5-10 fights. Of these, at least half are all out brawls where people actually get hurt. This is especially true on 1/2 price nights.

THAT does not happen at ALL parks.

voodoochile
08-05-2003, 05:14 PM
There were fights at the AS game at Miller last year. I've seen one every single time I've been to Cleveland. Try Fenway during the Yankee series. And Wrigley on the weekends.. always good for a few.

You are 100% correct. This is the case anywhere there are sports fans who disagree and lots of beer. Soxpark is no different.

Me thinks Sox fans are a little over-sensitive to the situation because of some bad national publicity in the last few years, but this is not an issue...

Heck, the Raider fans literally KILLER a Steeler fan one year. Now you want to talk about bad publicity...

DrCrawdad
08-05-2003, 06:46 PM

Last year I was at The Shrine in the bleachers when the Messiah made his first appearance.

My Cubbie fan father-in-law & I had a bouncer standing near us. I asked the bouncer how many fights they get in the bleachers. The bouncer said 3-4 each night game in the bleachers.

A.T. Money
08-05-2003, 07:00 PM
Hey guys, are we forgetting that Old Comiskey Park was the "World's Largest Outdoor Saloon"????

Not only did people get hammered there, but all the fights?

Sox Park (whether it's the old or new) will always have that attitude about it. Maybe if we won a little bit more, things would be more mellow.

I agree that Sox games aren't as family friendly as we would all like. Hell, my bleacher seats are in a prime spot for misbehavior. You should see all the cussin' that goes on. I feel bad hearing that and seeing little kids around. Their parents don't even say anything probably because they don't want confrontation with drunks. It's tough.....but we're a tough city. Nature of the beast.

Max Power
08-05-2003, 09:21 PM
I thought the crowd was very good for the first few innings. The ovation the Sox got before running on the field was pretty good, in my opinion. And when Crede hit that HR everything was peachy... then it all came apart. A 7 run inning that seemed to take an hour + half price night + sellout = plenty of fights. I wasn't surprised. Stuff like that doesn't really bother me, but it's got to be a turn off to the familes that come out and are the centerpiece of the Sox marketing campaigns.
I wonder if security was increased (I would hope) or if the Sox were caught off guard (again) cause there were several fight hot spots (LFUD, RFUD) that seemed to take forever to get settled down.

inta
08-05-2003, 09:35 PM
sheesh, whoever is complaining about fights, how long have you been going to sox games for? I'm not saying it should be our badge of honor, but it just happens, always has. there's no doubt sox fans are a grittier breed than the northsiders and more passionate. i remember being a kid in the 70's and my dad pointing out all the fights at comiskey as "part of the game".

have you ever watched a cards/cubs game on tv? every few minutes you can hear the crowd yelling and the people behind home plate looking into the distance.
and these are cubs fans.

still, my friend from philly says sox park has nothing on the vet.

also no there's no way espn would cover fights in the stands, most teams and television stations have rules against showing any type of bad fan behavior. unless someone gets stabbed or shot, that's not going to happen ever.