PDA

View Full Version : Umpire question

gosox41
08-05-2003, 12:57 AM
Was the idiot home plate umpire of tongiht's game the same guy who called Crede's HR ball in Baltimore foul???

TornLabrum
08-05-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Was the idiot home plate umpire of tongiht's game the same guy who called Crede's HR ball in Baltimore foul???

No, this was Mark Wegner.

Shoeless Joe
08-05-2003, 02:31 AM
I'm not sure what Mr. Wegner's plan was after he warned both benches. I'll guarantee you all the HBP's were unintentional. IMO umps are way to busy trying to please the league rather than doing the right thing and make their on calls.

Nellie_Fox
08-05-2003, 02:58 AM
Is it too much to ask that MLB umpires actually understand the game? I went into a rant after he issued the warnings to begin with. No way did he want to hit Frank in that situation. That was not the time for a "payback." Then, there was even less motivation for Ginter to want to hit someone in the situation the Sox were in.

There are times when you are willing to put someone on base to settle a score. Neither of these fit the bill.

voodoochile
08-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Is it too much to ask that MLB umpires actually understand the game? I went into a rant after he issued the warnings to begin with. No way did he want to hit Frank in that situation. That was not the time for a "payback." Then, there was even less motivation for Ginter to want to hit someone in the situation the Sox were in.

There are times when you are willing to put someone on base to settle a score. Neither of these fit the bill.

Actually, the timing on Frank looked really bad with the Sox having hit their guy in the top half of the first and Pena having just been to the mound. That pitch was right at Frank's ribs, IMO - but I haven't seen a replay. I certainly wouldn't put that past Pena who would gladly sacrafice a base at that stage of the game to fire up his team.

The Ginter one was ridiculous. NO WAY he wanted to hit that guy and it was just barely inside (again, as I saw it - sitting behind home in the UD). Hey, it got Jerry tossed and forced them to bring in a real reliever. It wasn't all bad...