PDA

View Full Version : Fights at The Cell


Viva Magglio
08-04-2003, 11:55 PM
There were some incidents in the stands tonight, which can happen when you have large crowds. There was a particularly nasty incident in the upper deck right field corner. I heard they took 20+ patrons away as a result of that one.

gosox41
08-04-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
There were some incidents in the stands tonight, which can happen when you have large crowds. There was a particularly nasty incident in the upper deck right field corner. I heard they took 20+ patrons away as a result of that one.

I didn't catch that one. When I was leaving the game (about 10pm) I saw a young woman in an amblulance right where the elevators are to the suites. Anyone know what happened? Was this the result of the fight?

Bob

Dadawg_77
08-05-2003, 12:06 AM
The fight just kept going in the LF corner. A couple of guys started throwing haymakers, and then people started to fight the secruity guys going up there.

chisox06
08-05-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
There were some incidents in the stands tonight, which can happen when you have large crowds. There was a particularly nasty incident in the upper deck right field corner. I heard they took 20+ patrons away as a result of that one.

It can also happen when you have "half price Monday". Or when the cubs are in town and you can have 8 beers and then come on down for about 7 more.

Shoeless Joe
08-05-2003, 01:05 AM
I was directly next to the fights in left in sec. 557. The fights took place in 556. Plain and simple this started out with a couple of Cubs/Sox shouts here and there i.e. Cubs suck, Sox suck. Then when a Cubs fan got up and started to comfront one of the hecklers all hell broke loose. It was almost a chain reaction. One fight broke into another. I'm guessing there was at least 7 different fights from that section alone. And even though I don't really condone extreme violence, some of those fights were a lot better than ESPN's Saturday Night Fights.

I'm a little relieved that it didn't get much attention from the media since it was on a national stage but I was almost expecting something crazy to happen when I came into the ballpark. Still I doubt the crowd tomorrow will be as intense as Monday's.

moochpuppy
08-05-2003, 07:47 AM
Hmmmm....has anyone seen Randar yet this morning? :D:

CLR01
08-05-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Shoeless Joe
I was directly next to the fights in left in sec. 557. The fights took place in 556. Plain and simple this started out with a couple of Cubs/Sox shouts here and there i.e. Cubs suck, Sox suck. Then when a Cubs fan got up and started to comfront one of the hecklers all hell broke loose. It was almost a chain reaction. One fight broke into another. I'm guessing there was at least 7 different fights from that section alone. And even though I don't really condone extreme violence, some of those fights were a lot better than ESPN's Saturday Night Fights.

I'm a little relieved that it didn't get much attention from the media since it was on a national stage but I was almost expecting something crazy to happen when I came into the ballpark. Still I doubt the crowd tomorrow will be as intense as Monday's.

Who, in their right mind, would fight up there? Take it to the concourse. I would be afraid of rolling down.

34 Inch Stick
08-05-2003, 08:23 AM
The same kind of person who would fight with a security guard. Nothing good comes of it. If you win, you lose and if you lose, you really lose. I don't understand what makes a person want to fight when they have paid good money to be entertained.

Jerko
08-05-2003, 08:50 AM
Well, it was the first game back, half price night, Royals in town, I knew something would happen. Maybe tonight won't be so bad since Manuel alone probably cost them a couple thousand walk ups. Every time we have a huge half price monday crowd we embarrass ourselves. Didn't we have a half price Monday against NY last year and lose like 14-5 or something? Then last night with fights all over the place. Animals. You should have to be able to name at least one of JMs starting lineups this season to be allowed into the Cell. If you can't, that means you're just a drunk ididot looking for the "in" thing to do by going to the game on half price night, and that makes you no better than a Cub "fan" and I wish you would just stay away.

Hangar18
08-05-2003, 08:59 AM
So this was a Sox Fan vs Cub Fan exchange huh? My cousin figured as much, we were leaving and he said he betted that Cub Fans were instigating things...... I did speak to a Cub fan there to cheer on the Royals, though he was older and alone, and didnt look like he was there to brawl or anything

Jerko
08-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
So this was a Sox Fan vs Cub Fan exchange huh? My cousin figured as much, we were leaving and he said he betted that Cub Fans were instigating things...... I did speak to a Cub fan there to cheer on the Royals, though he was older and alone, and didnt look like he was there to brawl or anything

Well, Jesus Prior's Ressurection is tonight, so hopefully those idiot Cub fans will stay home and watch his Holiness in action. That is if they even know he's pitching tonight, but I'm sure if they're anywhere near a radio, tv, computer, or newspaper, they'll find out fast enough.

xil357
08-05-2003, 09:30 AM
The Sox may be made to look like arse-holes for this, but they need to implement a policy that no one wearing ANY Cubs hats, shirts, pants, jerseys, etc. will be allowed in The Cell. It would cause a media outrage, but in the process of explaining themselves the Sox should say that it has been drunk Cubs fans who have come to the park and instigated most of the brawls and field-chargings.

On a slightly related note, how likely is it that umpires are holding a grudge against the Sox and taking it out in the form of close calls going against the Sox?

This is not an excuse for the Sox losing, because the team has to rise above it and play through bad umpiring.

But, umps are human beings and are a close-knit fraternity. If one of their own is assaulted, it has to be in the back of their minds and there have to be some umps that would be willing to "stick it" to the Sox when a judgement call has to be made (fair or foul when passing the pole, borderline pitches, etc.). We all know that it was a Cubs fan who attaked the ump, but perhaps the umps don't know that (they didn't read it in the media, after all) and all they know is that the attack happened at The Cell.

I completely support any initiatives to verify the accuracy of umpires calls, including the Ques-tec (sp?) system and even instant replay when it comes to fair/foul and home run/ground rule double questionable fly balls. If a game can be re-played weeks later because of a question over a pine tar bat, then it can be delayed for a minute to check instant replay to get the call right. If making games too long is a problem, then cut down on the number of seconds a batter has to leave the box or a pitcher has between pitches.

Baseball would not have the number of strange instant replay fiascos that the NFL has had because there are not any arcane "tuck rules" and the like in the MLB.

Hangar18
08-05-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by xil357
The Sox may be made to look like arse-holes for this, but they need to implement a policy that no one wearing ANY Cubs hats, shirts, pants, jerseys, etc. will be allowed in The Cell. It would cause a media outrage, but in the process of explaining themselves the Sox should say that it has been drunk Cubs fans who have come to the park and instigated most of the brawls and field-chargings.

On a slightly related note, how likely is it that umpires are holding a grudge against the Sox and taking it out in the form of close calls going against the Sox?

This is not an excuse for the Sox losing, because the team has to rise above it and play through bad umpiring.

But, umps are human beings and are a close-knit fraternity. If one of their own is assaulted, it has to be in the back of their minds and there have to be some umps that would be willing to "stick it" to the Sox when a judgement call has to be made (fair or foul when passing the pole, borderline pitches, etc.). We all know that it was a Cubs fan who attaked the ump, but perhaps the umps don't know that (they didn't read it in the media, after all) and all they know is that the attack happened at The Cell.



If Umpires are doing this, I hope they REALIZE/REMEMBER that it was a bunch of Drunk Cub Fans from the previous afternoon game at Wrigley, that ran on the Field ......

bobj4400
08-05-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
So this was a Sox Fan vs Cub Fan exchange huh? My cousin figured as much, we were leaving and he said he betted that Cub Fans were instigating things...... I did speak to a Cub fan there to cheer on the Royals, though he was older and alone, and didnt look like he was there to brawl or anything


I find it hard to believe that every fight that starts at Comiskey is started by Cub fans. I think we need to look at ourselves in the mirror a little bit here. It usually takes two willing parties to fight (and from what I hear, there were many more than two last night), and all these people cant be Cub fans. Maybe Sox fans should learn to ignore this stuff...we have an image to repair.

Hangar18
08-05-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
I find it hard to believe that every fight that starts at Comiskey is started by Cub fans. I think we need to look at ourselves in the mirror a little bit here. It usually takes two willing parties to fight (and from what I hear, there were many more than two last night), and all these people cant be Cub fans. Maybe Sox fans should learn to ignore this stuff...we have an image to repair.

Your mostly right about that. Theres no need to be brawling like this. You and I and everyone around realize that cub fans can touch a special nerve. Imagine the Royals scoring 7 runs and
having some Cub fans Cheering/Jeering all of this. There were a LOT OF flub fans at the game last nite...full cub garb and all last nite at the game, so it doesnt surprise me. Esp the fact that all of this happened Upstairs in the upper deck. I think the words out that because the way the UpperDeck is set up, with the exits at the BOTTOM of the like 50 rows, you can fight up there and would be impossible to break up.

Randar68
08-05-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Hmmmm....has anyone seen Randar yet this morning? :D:

I was there but was in section 143. Fire Jerry. He's the only guy I wanted to pound yesterday. 6-3 lead and 79 pitches. *****!

Procol Harum
08-05-2003, 10:09 AM
No sense at all in blaming Grub fans for the fighting at the Cell.

Anyone who has been a Sox fan for as long as I have can tell you that there is an enduring, long-term percentage of morons who are Sox fans--and I'm talking beyond the normal odds of the general population. I wish it weren't so, but I speak from decades of observation. In fact, up until Wrigley moved into position as Chicago's premier outdoor saloon a few years back, I would say that a visit to Wrigley in the '60s, '70s, or '80s was always downright blissful on the fighting score compared to Comiskey. Fights have always been a problem at the Cell, and before that, at Old Comiskey.

The only reason I can think for this is that as a subset of baseball fans, a higher percentage of people who attend Sox games drink too much. Is it a socio-economic thing? Don't know. What I do know, however, is that I've seen NASTY fights at every game I've been to this year and too much beer is always the root of the problem--for at least the people who are responsible for instigating the trouble. I've been to other parks over the years--Oakland, Anaheim, SF, Baltimore, Milwaukee--and NEVER seen anything like what you'll see on the South Side.

If people are really serious about stopping this business they'll stop the sale of beer after the 3rd innning...in other words, we're gonna see plenty of fights because that ain't happening. I'm not sure--beyond increasing the number of security personnel by 500%--what might make a difference.

harwar
08-05-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Shoeless Joe
Then when a Cubs fan got up and started to comfront one of the hecklers all hell broke loose. It was almost a chain reaction. One fight broke into another.

This is something that has always amazed me,as in my younger years i happened to be involed in quite a few bar fights,even on nights when i was just minding my own business,one fight will start out of nowhere and then BAM the whole place goes up just like that.I've seen it so many times,like there is some kind of unconscious connection between everyone nearby that is triggered,in the same way an army of ants just all start fighting at once(although in that case it would be a chemical reaction).

Hangar18
08-05-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by harwar
This is something that has always amazed me,as in my younger years i happened to be involed in quite a few bar fights,even on nights when i was just minding my own business,one fight will start out of nowhere and then BAM the whole place goes up just like that.I've seen it so many times,like there is some kind of unconscious connection between everyone nearby that is triggered,in the same way an army of ants just all start fighting at once(although in that case it would be a chemical reaction).

or in cub fans......a Chemical Imbalance

Randar68
08-05-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by harwar
This is something that has always amazed me,as in my younger years i happened to be involed in quite a few bar fights,even on nights when i was just minding my own business,one fight will start out of nowhere and then BAM the whole place goes up just like that.I've seen it so many times,like there is some kind of unconscious connection between everyone nearby that is triggered,in the same way an army of ants just all start fighting at once(although in that case it would be a chemical reaction).

I'm amazed that fans of other teams come into Comiskey/The Cell and try to physically intimidate Sox fans in their own park despit being outnumbered 20,000+ -> 2 even on a poor attendance night.

I have been a participant in 2 real fights at Comiskey and each started because some fan of another team turned a good-humored barb-exchange into physical contact. In each case they left with tails between their legs.

I'm sorry, but if somebody initiates a physical confrontation, I will defend myself, and they're getting one or more in the chops.

It is somewhat of a blue-collar attitude, and maybe that is part of the fight problem. I have never gone to a baseball game looking for anything but a good time, but I will defend myself if confronted.

Mark it on your fight count, 2 more fights started by fans of other teams. (count about 3 more if you count the big ones I've seen started by Cubs fans during the cross-town)

kevingrt
08-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Seriously fighting on the UD... I think you have a better chance of rolling of the UD then beating the hell out of someone!

gogosoxgogo
08-05-2003, 12:10 PM
What the hell are Cub fans doing at that game yesterday? Why do they have to come to our park looking for trouble? I hope the Sox fans gave them a good beating...

voodoochile
08-05-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
What the hell are Cub fans doing at that game yesterday? Why do they have to come to our park looking for trouble? I hope the Sox fans gave them a good beating...

There was some 8 YO kid all decked out in the latest "cool" flubbie garb clapping everytime the Royals did something good. He was there with his father (I guess) who didn't seem to be enjoying himself nearly as much. How did this guy raise such an idiot?

SaltyPretzel
08-05-2003, 12:39 PM
There was some 20 year old bimbo wearing one of those lame Cubs sportsjersey dresses kind of like Mariah Carey wore while serenading Michael Jordan at the NBA All-Star Game.

I always see some obnoxious fans all decked out in Cub gear at Comiskey, even when they aren't playing the Cubs. It makes me want to vomit.

mandmandm
08-05-2003, 01:10 PM
I am all for fights in the upper deck if it weeds the Sox fans base of morons who can not control themselves and need to get physically involved with another human being. It is one thing to get into a discussion with a individual about whose team is better. But to come to blows is ridiculous, especially for grown adults.

bobj4400
08-05-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
I am all for fights in the upper deck if it weeds the Sox fans base of morons who can not control themselves and need to get physically involved with another human being. It is one thing to get into a discussion with a individual about whose team is better. But to come to blows is ridiculous, especially for grown adults.

I agree...I will put up with fights in the UD for the rest of this year if all the idiots that get caught fighting are banned from the park for life. I have a feeling that many of the idiots are repeat offenders that only come to the ballpark on half-price nights. Grown adults that get into physical confrontations b/c of a BASEBALL GAME have serious issues...and I dont want these people at Comiskey anyway.

If it takes doing away with half-price nights, so be it. I feel bad for the families that would get screwed by this, but enough is enough. I will not go to the game tonight b/c of the half-price bozos that will be in attendance...and I think many others will begin to feel this way if nothing changes.

moochpuppy
08-05-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I'm amazed that fans of other teams come into Comiskey/The Cell and try to physically intimidate Sox fans in their own park despit being outnumbered 20,000+

I'm hoping they find a buried Cubs hat near the bones they found in the parkinglot. That should shut fans of other teams up. :gulp: