PDA

View Full Version : Pena vs. Manuel

gosox41
08-05-2003, 12:53 AM
I know it's difficult to quanitfy, but how many more wins do you think the Sox would have right now if Pena had been manager from the start of spring training and not JM?

I'm guessing at least 10-15 more. Pena would have the team working on the fundamentals during ST. He isn't afraid to get in a player's face yet seems to keep a good atmosphere on the team. The Royal players seem to respect him and play hard for him. They also play good team ball. I don't know much about his decision making, but no one can tinker as much as JM. I guess all these little things to make some difference in how well a team plays.

Bob

Nellie_Fox
08-05-2003, 01:00 AM
I was watching the game with my Twins fan son-in-law (he's a good kid, he really is.) I was watching Peņa work the dugout, and I commented that I really liked seeing a manager like that. He was pumped up, pumping the team up, but not being a maniac.

I don't know that much about him; he may be a water cooler-smashing idiot, in which case I take it back. But I'd love to work for a manager who was into the game without being a Billy Martin type.

JJAustin69
08-05-2003, 01:03 AM
I posted this comment on another thread, but it is worth repeating. The Royals would run through a wall for Tony Pena, the Sox probably want to throw Jerry Manuel through one. Any questions?

gosox41
08-05-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
I posted this comment on another thread, but it is worth repeating. The Royals would run through a wall for Tony Pena, the Sox probably want to throw Jerry Manuel through one. Any questions?

So this wall they're going to throw Manuel through...when is it going to happen??? I want to be there.

Bob

SouthBendSox
08-05-2003, 02:03 AM
Pena is doing a great job in KC

they take it one game at a time, and have agreat sense of consistency

uhh

which is

uhh

not JM's strong suit

TornLabrum
08-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by SouthBendSox
Pena is doing a great job in KC

they take it one game at a time, and have agreat sense of consistency

uhh

which is

uhh

not JM's strong suit

Jerry is consistent. He consistently screws up.

Shoeless Joe
08-05-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Jerry is consistent. He consistently screws up.

I'm not sure what Jerry's plan is this year. I mean does he WANT to get fired. It almost seems like both managers are showing the do's and don't's in managing. Pena is showing all the do's while Jerry is showing all the don't's.

WhiteSox = Life
08-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Shoeless Joe
I'm not sure what Jerry's plan is this year. I mean does he WANT to get fired. It almost seems like both managers are showing the do's and don't's in managing. Pena is showing all the do's while Jerry is showing all the don't's.

:jerry
"It's very obvious. So obvious even I could come up with it. I'm simply doing practically whatever I can to put this team in a hole. Why, you ask? Well, I'll tell ya. See, I know this team has so much talent, that they can overcome absolutely anything. And, that includes a certain gerund that starts with the letter "t". The more I do it, the more I know this team will jump over every road block, dodge every bullet and avoid every obstacle, despite and in spite of me. It's brilliant, isn't it?"

believenroyals
08-05-2003, 10:54 AM
i am a royals fan, and pena has worked wonders. But c'mon we were due for a good manager, before pena, we had muser and boone, probably the worst back to back managers the game has seen in a long time.