PDA

View Full Version : "Another Royal Beating": Clever or Tasteless?

MarqSox
08-04-2003, 04:22 PM
I saw this photo on chicagosports.com. Not sure what I think of it ...
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/story/2003-08/8854529.jpg

Eddie Gaedel
08-04-2003, 04:26 PM
i like it. what makes you iffy about it?

pl8ump1012
08-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel

Gamboa nearly getting the crap beaten out of him at Comiskey.

MarqSox
08-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel

It's a reference to the Gamboa attack and the Laz Diaz attack. At least, it can certainly be taken that way.

cheeses_h_rice
08-04-2003, 04:28 PM
I doubt any Sox fan in their right mind would make that sign trying to evoke memories of the Gamboa incident. It certainly didn't cross my mind -- the Sox thumped the Royals 3 straight, is all.

Sheesh.

MarqSox
08-04-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I doubt any Sox fan in their right mind would make that sign trying to evoke memories of the Gamboa incident. It certainly didn't cross my mind -- the Sox thumped the Royals 3 straight, is all.

Sheesh.

Well then, I'm either not a Sox fan or I'm not in my right mind. I know I'm a Sox fan, so I guess you're talking to a nutcase.

FJA
08-04-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Sheesh.

Agreed, but I can see your point Marq. I don't think ChicagoSports.com even considered the Gamboa incident in printing this photo.

JJAustin69
08-04-2003, 04:31 PM
Never crossed my mind either. I can see how some could misconstrue it but I don't think that is the impression that most people have.

MarqSox
08-04-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Agreed, but I can see your point Marq. I don't think ChicagoSports.com even considered the Gamboa incident in printing this photo.

If most people aren't thinking of it that way, then I'm glad. It was the first thing I thought of, though.

Eddie Gaedel
08-04-2003, 04:34 PM
I didn't think about the Gamboa thing. I guess you could look at it that way, but the saying 'A royal beating' is really common in sports talk. I like the pun either way.

Hangar18
08-04-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
It's a reference to the Gamboa attack and the Laz Diaz attack. At least, it can certainly be taken that way.

Thats NOT what I thought when I saw that sign. That guy turned around a couple times in the last innings with that sign,
and he got booed, for being a SOX Fan...thats all. None of those
fans thought that either.

HawkDJ
08-04-2003, 04:49 PM
I didn't think about the Gamboa incident either. Personally, I think "A Royal flush" is better anyways.

A.T. Money
08-04-2003, 05:14 PM
Crap! I voted for the "Yuck" answer! I wanted "Clever"

fquaye149
08-04-2003, 05:17 PM
it never even crossed my mind about the fan beatings

i figured the beatings were how we brutally assaulted them to the tune of like 40 runs in that series

that picture's my desktop wallpaper!

34rancher
08-04-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by FJA
I don't think ChicagoSports.com even considered the Gamboa incident in printing this photo.

Are you kidding me???? You know that chicagosports.com is the tribune in disguise, right? Anything to keep up the "thug" image of the Cell is anything the Tribune will do to put down the Sox and promote the warm fuzzies of Wrigley.

AsInWreck
08-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
Are you kidding me???? You know that chicagosports.com is the tribune in disguise, right? Anything to keep up the "thug" image of the Cell is anything the Tribune will do to put down the Sox and promote the warm fuzzies of Wrigley.

I agree, but it's f'n hilarious. Check out the look on the Royal's fan-priceless