PDA

View Full Version : BEATING THE A's

LASOXFAN
08-04-2003, 02:50 PM
Taking nothing away from the importance of the next 3 games with KC, I can't help but feel like the true litmus test for this team will come against red hot Oakland. The A's own us. IMHO, by Sunday evening we'll know if the Sox have truly "turned it around."

Losing two out of three in Seattle is not the true test. A first place team held court on their own turf. They're supposed to do that. But what about the Sox doing the same? Anyone else feel that this series with the A's is equally as important as the one with the Royals?

WHarris13
08-04-2003, 02:56 PM
It will be hard having to face either Harden, Hudson, Zito, and Mulder.

npdempse
08-04-2003, 02:58 PM
If we can sweep the As, do we become serious contenders for the AL wildcard? Right now we're 5 back of them, 5.5 of the BoSox.

THAT would be downright freaky--if the wildcard came out of the central.

LASOXFAN
08-04-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
If we can sweep the As, do we become serious contenders for the AL wildcard? Right now we're 5 back of them, 5.5 of the BoSox.

I hadn't even thought about that. You're right, that would be freaky!

FJA
08-04-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by npdempse

That's a good point ... the BoSox have been slipping a bit lately, and we play them five more times. Frankly, though, I don't really want it to come down to the wild card, because that means we're not beating the Royals and Twins in head-to-head competition. And if it comes down to us having either a foot race with the Royals and Twins or a foot race with the A's and Red Sox, I'll take the Royals and Twins any day.

delben91
08-04-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by FJA
And if it comes down to us having either a foot race with the Royals and Twins or a foot race with the A's and Red Sox, I'll take the Royals and Twins any day.

Got to agree with you there FJA, I've got a lot more confidence in the Sox ability to take series and get wins against the Twins and Royals. The Red Sox don't scare me too much when Pedro isn't going (though he's been more human this season), but I'd never want to bet on the Sox beating the A's to get into the playoffs.

FarmerAndy
08-04-2003, 03:07 PM
I don't see how facing the M's was not a true test. They are a good team, and if we had a good team we would be able to hang with them, at home or on the road.

We can beat up on the Royals and Twins and back into the playoffs. But unless we start beating top level teams, then we haven't proven a thing.

I'm not trying to be negative. I want them to win. I'll be at the game tonight cheering them on. But I'm not going to have my heart broken by setting unrealistic expectations of them. They need to prove that they are for real, and they haven't done it yet. A hot streak against 2nd rate teams does not prove a thing.

IT'S TIME TO GET TOUGH, SOX! Show me something.

npdempse
08-04-2003, 03:16 PM
I don't see how facing the M's was not a true test. They are a good team, and if we had a good team we would be able to hang with them, at home or on the road.

It wasn't a true test because Jerry bailed on yesterday's game. He simply wasn't playing to win. Whether that was a good decision or not is debatable (per other threads), but the pounding we gave them on Friday makes me believe that we could really be a contender against good teams. Sat. was just a joke, with Wright out there--unfortunate as it is, without a legit fifth man, if we're playing a decent team, we're conceding each game that Wright starts.

34 Inch Stick
08-04-2003, 03:29 PM
The next three games really count as 2 games as far as our division championship hopes go. There is no way in the world this Royals series is not more important than the A's series.

Jerko
08-04-2003, 03:35 PM
I shudder to think that we may face Mulder on Sunday. Which means our Sunday lineup. That game may end in an hour.

bobj4400
08-04-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
I shudder to think that we may face Mulder on Sunday. Which means our Sunday lineup. That game may end in an hour.

[COLOR=limegreen] But the guys have that long flight back to the West Coast on Sunday night. Dont they deserve the day off on Sunday?

LASOXFAN
08-04-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
The next three games really count as 2 games as far as our division championship hopes go. There is no way in the world this Royals series is not more important than the A's series.

I hear where you're coming from. Statistically it is more important. No doubt. I guess that for me I'm still in doubt as to whether or not the Sox can take that step to the next level and play with the big boys, ie, the yanks, the A's, and the M's - three of the teams most likely to be playing in October. To do it they're going to have to face some demons against the A's. They know they can beat the Royals. The A's? :?:

gosox41
08-04-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
Taking nothing away from the importance of the next 3 games with KC, I can't help but feel like the true litmus test for this team will come against red hot Oakland. The A's own us. IMHO, by Sunday evening we'll know if the Sox have truly "turned it around."

Losing two out of three in Seattle is not the true test. A first place team held court on their own turf. They're supposed to do that. But what about the Sox doing the same? Anyone else feel that this series with the A's is equally as important as the one with the Royals?

Losing 2 of 3 to Seattle is bad enough. Losing by a combined score of 18-2 in those 2 losses is downright aggravating.

The A's are having their usual second half surge. No surprise there. Based on the Sox recent performance against the A's I'm not too optimisitic. This so-called different team still got thumped by Seattle.

Bob

bobj4400
08-04-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Losing 2 of 3 to Seattle is bad enough. Losing by a combined score of 18-2 in those 2 losses is downright aggravating.

The A's are having their usual second half surge. No surprise there. Based on the Sox recent performance against the A's I'm not too optimisitic. This so-called different team still got thumped by Seattle.

Bob

I would completely agree with you if it wasnt for Danny 'Wrong'
pitching on Saturday, and Tinkerbell benching half the team on Sunday. If they would have drubbed Loaiza/Colon on Saturday, then beat up Buehrle with a real lineup on Sunday, there would be reason to panic. Let's see how they do this week before jumping ship.

BTW, we should be facing Lilly/Halama on Friday, Mulder on Saturday, and Harden on Sunday.

LASOXFAN
08-04-2003, 06:04 PM
Sox counter with Buehrle, Garland & Loiza. I like our chances to take 2. Mulder's so tough...

Kroozah
08-04-2003, 06:50 PM
A's are not has hot as you may think, they have the pitching but are going thru offense woes right now... sound familar?

gosox41
08-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Kroozah
A's are not has hot as you may think, they have the pitching but are going thru offense woes right now... sound familar?

Except for the fac t that the A's do a better job then the Sox executing fundamental baseball. But chicks dig the long ball....

Bob