PDA

View Full Version : Insight into JM's Sunday lineup

pudge
08-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Just wanted to pass along:

A Seattle radio station was interviewing JM on Friday night before the start of the series, and JM said he hoped the Sox win the first two so they could "rest guys" on Sunday...

So I instantly thought, "Even if we lose on Saturday, he's still going to tinker on Sunday... there's no way I'm buying a ticket to Sunday's game." Thank goodness I didn't.

My big beef is, what kind of friggin attitude is that? It really is "giving away" a game, as if the Sunday game didn't mean anything. I think winning a series in Seattle might have meant more to this team than throttling KC again. Couldn't we have scattered our days off?

And I just don't understand why these guys need to sit so much. I'm older than most of the guys on the team, and I play in three softball leagues, one hardball league and two basketball leagues a week, not to mention the occassionally hiking or biking on the weekend... I might get one day off per week over the summer. I'm not saying I'm in shape to be a professional athlete, I just don't understand why pro baseball players can't play six games a week.

LuvSox
08-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Why can't he give these guys a day off one/two at a time. Rotate 'em. How hard is that to figure out?

TornLabrum
08-04-2003, 12:38 PM
I'll ask once again. Why does ANYBODY need a day off. They had one off last Monday and they get another one off on Thursday. They can't play 9 games without a day off?????

LuvSox
08-04-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I'll ask once again. Why does ANYBODY need a day off. They had one off last Monday and they get another one off on Thursday. They can't play 9 games without a day off?????

You're getting me worked up. It's a pennant race, rest in the off season!

:firejerry

Paulwny
08-04-2003, 01:33 PM
I can't wait till the Sept. call-ups, we'll have more players to rest more players.

Foulke You
08-04-2003, 01:55 PM
The biggest joke was resting Paul Konerko!! Paul Konerko "rested" the whole friggin' 1st half of the season and was rotting on the bench!! Now that he is finally hot and tatooing the ball all over the park, Manuel decides he needs some rest. Unfrikkin' real. If we win the Central Division it will be in SPITE of Manuel not because of him.

ssang
08-04-2003, 02:09 PM
Manuel's idiotic theory of resting players truley baffles me. If one man, Cal Ripken, can play in 2,632 consecutive games then why does Moron Manuel insist that Sox players need to rest every 10 days or so?!??! I'm not saying that just anyone can play in that many games in a row without a day off, but if one particular player can play over 2,500 games straight I certainly find it hard to believe that any MLB player needs as much rest as Manuel thinks. It's not like these guys bang up there bodies like football or hockey or even basketball players. One word describes Jerry Manuel in every sense.....(censored: watch the language, please)!!!!

Dadawg_77
08-04-2003, 02:34 PM
I could see where he would rotate the bench players to keep them fresh. Make sence in moderation which mean don't bring in the entire bench at once.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-04-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
The biggest joke was resting Paul Konerko!! Paul Konerko "rested" the whole friggin' 1st half of the season and was rotting on the bench!! Now that he is finally hot and tatooing the ball all over the park, Manuel decides he needs some rest. Unfrikkin' real. If we win the Central Division it will be in SPITE of Manuel not because of him.

I completely agree. There was lots of hand-wringing going on around here yesterday about Manuel's lame excuse for resting Thomas, and there has been lots of hand-wringing about Manuel's lame excuse for resting Alomar, too. But the absolute worst benching Manuel made has to be Paul Konerko's. What the ****? The guy has needed over 3 months to get his swing together, he finally starts heating up, has an 8-game hitting streak going, and now Manuel decides to give him the day off? If I was Konerko, I would have used my bat to beat my locker into splinters. Oh course he is too much a team player to do that. :smile:

Manuel's excuse for benching Konerko yesterday (along with 3 others) is the latest evidence of either one of two possibilities:

1. Manuel is a coward and a liar who won't come clean about the real reason for the benchings (he likes to tinker, even though it usually doesn't work), or

2. Manuel's grip on reality has weakened to the point of managing his clubhouse like it was the Orland Park Little League. Thus he needs psychiatric help, because clearly he is suffering from acute mental confusion.

:jerry
"My job is to make sure everybody plays and everybody feels they are contributing."

:ohno
"Somebody get him a doctor."