PDA

View Full Version : Did we surrender game 3 vs Seattle

jabrch
08-04-2003, 10:40 AM
before it even started? I have a feeling that Jerry just said screw it...we have a long trip home then a Monday game vs KC. Let's let Konerko, Thomas and Alomar all get some rest. Unfortunately, our lineup vs Meche was terrible...we didn't have a chance.

I turned the game off when I saw the lineup.

delben91
08-04-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
before it even started? I have a feeling that Jerry just said screw it...we have a long trip home then a Monday game vs KC. Let's let Konerko, Thomas and Alomar all get some rest. Unfortunately, our lineup vs Meche was terrible...we didn't have a chance.

I turned the game off when I saw the lineup.

I don't know if the Sox necessarily "surrendered" the game. That lineup is capable of winning, though not nearly as much as if the starters were in. Meche has had the Sox (and a lot of other team's) number all year. He's finally healthy and has been flat out dominant at times. Their rotation is one reason Seattle has the best record in the league.

Thus, the result Sunday wasn't anything overly remarkable. While I'd have liked the Sox to have taken 2 of 3, I'm not overly worried. Let's see if they can stick it to KC.

GO SOX!

CHISOXFAN13
08-04-2003, 10:51 AM
It reminded me a lot of the finale agaibnst the Cubs in 2000. He used Jesus Pena in a pivotal situation and we lost, only to win the next 7 on the road at Cleveland and NY.

Maybe we'll see a similar streak now with some well rested starters.

fledgedrallycap
08-04-2003, 10:53 AM
Completely agree. You can't get on the Sox for losing a couple games to a very, very good team on the road. Our team has been great, I wasn't thrilled with that lineup, but our Starting Shortstop was the reason for that game getting out of hand. Sweeping KC was the most important part of the trip, now let's do it again at home and take sole possession of first!

Gumshoe
08-04-2003, 11:05 AM
I can't believe I'm defending JM, but I gotta say that he's thinking that the KC is more important, and I agree. He was hoping to get a gem out of Buehrle, who pitched well but then started walking guys --- and the 10-0 drubbing on Saturday wasn't a good thing to help the situation (I Remember thinking, PULL Mark). But we do have KC and then Oakland, and even if we start all our guys, doesn't mean we even win vs. Meche in SEA.

If we lose a lot at home this week, bad move. But if we win, good move. Judge it by results as always.

Gumshoe

soxrme
08-04-2003, 12:02 PM
That was a junior varsity lineup he put out Sunday. He has rested guys all year. Now we have to sweep KC to get back to first. You rest one or two guys not 1/3 of the team. Put Konerko at DH, Dalbauch at 1st, nobody else needed to rest. He could have taken them all out after the 6th inning Saturday and "rested"them then. Read Hal,s column today, says it all.

Lip Man 1
08-04-2003, 12:15 PM
When you are trailing the top team with only 55 games left and they have a MUCH EASIER SCHEDULE then you do, you can NOT give up anything.

That's EXACTLY what happened Sunday. It was an utterly stupid move on Manager Gandhi's part.

If you insist on playing your bench garbage, do it when Danny Wright is pitching! The Sox are going to lose those games anyway, why screw up two chances?

Absolutely insane.

If the Sox lose the division by one game (a la 1964) make sure you remember yesterday.

Lip

voodoochile
08-04-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
When you are trailing the top team with only 55 games left and they have a MUCH EASIER SCHEDULE then you do, you can NOT give up anything.

That's EXACTLY what happened Sunday. It was an utterly stupid move on Manager Gandhi's part.

If you insist on playing your bench garbage, do it when Danny Wright is pitching! The Sox are going to lose those games anyway, why screw up two chances?

Absolutely insane.

If the Sox lose the division by one game (a la 1964) make sure you remember yesterday.

Lip

The sad part is that we probably won't have to. Odds are it will happen again in two weeks or even less, knowing Jerry.

CHISOXFAN13
08-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Even if we don't rest the four regulars, my guess is we still lose that game. Five runs after two outs against Buerhle has nothing to do with who rested.

Kilroy
08-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by delben91
I don't know if the Sox necessarily "surrendered" the game

I don't think they surrendered it before it started, but when Koch came in I thought that they packed it in at that point.

jabrch
08-04-2003, 01:02 PM
Alomar, Frank and Konerko have to knock the tar out of the ball today vs KC. I'll give Jerry the benefit of the doubt until after today...but I don't like that lineup at all.

jabrch
08-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
I don't think they surrendered it before it started, but when Koch came in I thought that they packed it in at that point.

It still blows my mind how bad this guy is, while Foulke and Biddle are closing games very well elsewhere.

Kenny had no way to know either of those guys would be good closers this year...it just irks me.

MetalliSox
08-04-2003, 01:16 PM
Alomar, Frank and Konerko have to knock the tar out of the ball today vs KC. I'll give Jerry the benefit of the doubt until after today...but I don't like that lineup at all.

If the Sox sweep KC again, all is forgiven. If we lose tonight, the only thing Jer proves is that he really knows how to kill momentum.

In those first 5 innings on Sunday, we had guys on base. Rowand K'd and left some guys on as well as Olivo. Maybe if Konerko and/or Frank/Alomar are in, we get some more runs and put more pressure on the M's. Maybe Buehrle has a tad bigger lead then 1-0 and becomes not afraid to throw strikes and doesn't walk a bunch of guys.
You never know. Can you tell I'm a Back to the Future fan? I like talking about paradox's in the space time continium.

JJAustin69
08-04-2003, 01:17 PM
Danny Wright pitching game 2 and the reserve lineup in game 3 against the best team in the American League was basically giving up two games.

jabrch
08-04-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
If the Sox sweep KC again, all is forgiven. If we lose tonight, the only thing Jer proves is that he really knows how to kill momentum.

Well said!

gogosoxgogo
08-04-2003, 01:45 PM
Yes, we did surrender before it started. Manuel was quoted last week saying that he hoped we won the first two games so that he could rest everyone on the third game. Thanks Jerry! We're only in a pennant race with the momentum of winning 13 of our last 15 on our side!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-04-2003, 01:50 PM
I think "surrender" is a bit too strong a term for Manuel's lineup yesterday. I think "mailed it in" would be a more accurate description.

jabrch
08-04-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I think "surrender" is a bit too strong a term for Manuel's lineup yesterday. I think "mailed it in" would be a more accurate description.

Same thing to me....and I guess I am ok with it since we don't have an offday on Monday after a flight home from Seattle, but I really hope what Jerry did pays off and the guys slug the tar out of the ball today vs KC.

delben91
08-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Same thing to me....and I guess I am ok with it since we don't have an offday on Monday after a flight home from Seattle, but I really hope what Jerry did pays off and the guys slug the tar out of the ball today vs KC.

Hopefully Runelvys will be a bit off his game like he was last week and the Sox batters can really tee off on him. Either way, with luck Garland will come out dealing and it will be a moot point. Pitching is where the Sox real advantage over KC is.

Mighty4
08-04-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Absolutely insane.

Lip

Lip, I think I nominate that as the best post of the day today. We don't have time to be farting around anymore with all this tinkering crap. EVERY game is vital now, play musical chairs next year if you still have a job JM. I