PDA

View Full Version : Who's worried?

Hokiesox
08-04-2003, 07:20 AM
OK, not taking 2 of 3 from Seattle sucks, yes. But, honestly, the Sox have 10 games left against the Royals. And, aside from the first series of the season, the Sox have owned them. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out. If nothing else, the last two weeks have gotten the Sox my attention for the rest of the season, even though Hokie football kickoff is 3.5 weeks away.

They're a good team, and we should at least pay attention to them until they're eliminated (This coming from a Blackhawks fan who at least pays attention through December for them!). Eliminated, in my opinion, is 7 games out at the start of the September series with the Royals.

:bandance: :gulp: :bandance:

MarqSox
08-04-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
OK, not taking 2 of 3 from Seattle sucks, yes.

So wait ... you're saying "Not winning a series at the home stadium of the best team in the league, a team that has beaten us silly the past 3 years, is a disappointment" ??? Worse than that, that it sucks? Are you on crack?

Hokiesox
08-04-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
So wait ... you're saying "Not winning a series at the home stadium of the best team in the league, a team that has beaten us silly the past 3 years, is a disappointment" ??? Worse than that, that it sucks? Are you on crack?

In the sense that a lot of people on this board were saying they wouldn't be believers in the team unless the Sox won 2 of 3 this weekend, yes. Did I follow that? no. My post is a post to those who said they would feel better is the Sox took 2 of 3.

All in all, it would have been nice if they had taken 2 of 3. Further, if they should lose 2, I expect them to make a better show out of it, and not get outscored 18-2.

That much, yes, I do expect, even in the home park of the best team in the American League.

kevingrt
08-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Right now, I am not really worried but I am getting close. I am more scared about losing this to the Twinkies.

alohafri
08-04-2003, 10:55 AM
I agree, Hokie....had the Sox lost to Seattle by only a couple runs, I'd be feeling a lot better about them, but they got whooped! In order to be taken seriously, they need to show they can stand up to the big boys and give them a good fight, even if they lose.

(Mrs. Aloha)

LuvSox
08-04-2003, 10:59 AM
I'm worried. This team isn't going anywhere with JM calling the shots. Even if the Sox make the playoffs they're in trouble. The veterans have to step up and take charge, no matter what stupid moves Manuel makes.

valposoxfan
08-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Manuel didn't give the Sox much of a chance to win yesterday. The Sox 6th inning was very encouraging to me though. Manufacturing a run with two outs in a big game with the veterans doing most of the damage. This further makes me believe that JM didn't give the Sox a chance in hell to win yesterday. We will be fine. I am NOT worried. This is because I always stay cautiously optimistic. Good teams lose 2 of 3 in Seattle all the time. Guys, Baltimore SPANKED Boston 2 of 3 this weekend. Calm down. Seriously. We have a chance to be in first by the end of this next series.

Lip Man 1
08-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Hokie:

The issue is not the fact that the Sox play the Royals ten more times. The issue is that the Sox play the Yankees six times, the Red Sox five times, the A's three times and the Twins seven times.

The issue is that the only teams the Royals play the rest of the way who are over .500 are the Sox and Yankees.

Unless the Sox can beat the Royals nine out of ten, K.C. is going to feast on the Tigers, Indians and Devil Rays while the Sox are going to struggle.

Like Duke said the Sox had their chance in the first half to beat those teams up and get a cushion....but they didn't, in part because Manager Gandhi feels the first half of the season is an excuse for playing everyone.

The real issue is Manager Gandhi's stupidity.

Lip

A.T. Money
08-04-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hokie:

The issue is not the fact that the Sox play the Royals ten more times. The issue is that the Sox play the Yankees six times, the Red Sox five times, the A's three times and the Twins seven times.

The issue is that the only teams the Royals play the rest of the way who are over .500 are the Sox and Yankees.

Unless the Sox can beat the Royals nine out of ten, K.C. is going to feast on the Tigers, Indians and Devil Rays while the Sox are going to struggle.

Like Duke said the Sox had their chance in the first half to beat those teams up and get a cushion....but they didn't, in part because Manager Gandhi feels the first half of the season is an excuse for playing everyone.

The real issue is Manager Gandhi's stupidity.

Lip

Lip Man 1,

If we expect to win this season, we need to step it up and beat up on the big boys of the league.

CHISOXFAN13
08-04-2003, 11:55 AM
If we are going to talk about how the Sox have to play Minnesota seven more times, then I think we should include the fact that the Royals also have the Twins on the docket seven more times as well.

Plus, they have a lot more road games remaining away from Kaufmann.

You can't win a division title with that pitching staff. It's horrendous.

Hokiesox
08-04-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
This is because I always stay cautiously optimistic.

Any chicago sports fan has to remain cautiously optimistic. I think that's the #1 trait that binds us all (aside from our love of the White Sox, of course)

We root for perennial losing teams.

MarqSox
08-04-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Any chicago sports fan has to remain cautiously optimistic. I think that's the #1 trait that binds us all (aside from our love of the White Sox, of course)

We root for perennial losing teams.

Maybe that's why I feel so at home at Brewers games. :)

jabrch
08-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Our schedule means we will have to WIN the division. We won't be able to back into it or stumble our way to October.

Dan H
08-04-2003, 04:50 PM
What worries me is Buehrle. Even during his winning streak, he didn't look like the Buehrle of 2001 and 2002. The Sox need solid efforts from him if they are going to take this thing. As the weekend demonstrated, you can't club people to death every game, especially when you are playing solid teams. And you won't do it in the playoffs. Pitching is still very important. I don't care how well you can hit.