PDA

View Full Version : Sox Hoping For a Warm Welcome

NewyorkSoxFan
08-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Many of the Sox players are hoping for a warm reception after the trip they just finished. In an article Tony G. mentioned that the players have already been talking about what the crowd have will be like and that its half-price nite and that they would be disappointed if there weren't 40,000. Interesting that the players are that tuned in. So lets make it happen Sox fans.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/041sd6.htm

NYSF

gosox41
08-04-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
Many of the Sox players are hoping for a warm reception after the trip they just finished. In an article Tony G. mentioned that the players have already been talking about what the crowd have will be like and that its half-price nite and that they would be disappointed if there weren't 40,000. Interesting that the players are that tuned in. So lets make it happen Sox fans.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/041sd6.htm

NYSF

I'll probably give the Sox a warm welcome for making a great comeback in the standings. But these players shouldn't get too hurt if they don't get big crowds for all 3 games (though it would be nice.) It's because of their underacheiving first half that this team is not running away with the division already. If the Sox averaged 5 runs a game the first half of the season they'd probably be in first place by 8-10 games or so.

Instead we're 2 games behind a team in the weakest division in baseball with a tough schedule ahead of us, while the other 2 teams competing for the division have a much easier schedule. Let's see the talent "manifest" itself as JM would say. The last 14 games (befoer 2 losses against Seattle) have been great, but now it's time to be consistent.

Bob

MarqSox
08-04-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'll probably give the Sox a warm welcome for making a great comeback in the standings. But these players shouldn't get too hurt if they don't get big crowds for all 3 games (though it would be nice.) It's because of their underacheiving first half that this team is not running away with the division already. If the Sox averaged 5 runs a game the first half of the season they'd probably be in first place by 8-10 games or so.

Well, according to everyone who defended the low attendance in 2000 as "the division was locked up," if the Sox hadn't underachieved, they would get small crowds because it wasn't a race. So, now that it's a race, they'd better not get small crowds. Right?

VaSoxfan
08-04-2003, 07:55 AM
Instead of worrying about the crowd Monday, maybe they can reflect on the way they rolled over Saturday and Sunday. It's not like they gave a heck of an effort and came up a little bit short. Getting ripped 18-2 in the final two games of a big series isn't exactly the way to pump up the home folks, regardless of the sweep in KC beforehand.

TornLabrum
08-04-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Well, according to everyone who defended the low attendance in 2000 as "the division was locked up," if the Sox hadn't underachieved, they would get small crowds because it wasn't a race. So, now that it's a race, they'd better not get small crowds. Right?

Whether attendance gets close to 40,000 tonight will depend a lot on the weather. As I write this just before 8:00 a.m., the skies are overcast, and the memory of the Sox first game in Seattle that was overshadowed by the Cubs game lasting over 8 hours due to rain, and the memory of that 19-hour rain delay (yes, I'm exaggerating) at The Cell before the start of a game just a few weeks ago is also fresh in everyone's mind.

So the weather could keep the crowd down. I'll be there, though. I've had my ticket since March.

gosox41
08-04-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox

OK. Never thoght about it and could care less as the size of the crowd has no direct bearing on my life. It would be cool to see the Sox draw well. I have season tickets. I was there in 2000 and am still there in 2003 no matter how much I question their inability to play on the West Coast or how much I think they've underacheived.

Bob

hold2dibber
08-04-2003, 08:06 AM
According to this morning's Tribune, the Sox have sold 25,000 tickets to tonight's game already. It is 1/2 price night, and I think the team usually gets a walk up of about 5,000 to 10,000 on 1/2 price Mondays (not sure about that). The weather forecast (http://www.wunderground.com/US/IL/Chicago.html), however, is not good. Cloudy and foggy all day, 40% chance or rain this afternoon and evening. I'm guessing they'll draw right around 30,000. With good weather, they would have drawn at least 35,000.

Dan H
08-04-2003, 09:39 AM
The White Sox have been through all of this before. Yes, it would be great for 40,000, but to be disappointed not to get that figure only will lgive the team a let down they cannot afford to have at this point. The players need to concentrate on winning because I don't think they realize what serious problems this franchise has. You are not going to turn everything around in two weeks. They are lucky to be in a race. Now let's concentrate on winning it.

Lip Man 1
08-04-2003, 11:54 AM
Of course there is also the disturbing trend the past few years of not doing well before big crowds and before the national TV spotlight.

Lip

FJA
08-04-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
According to this morning's Tribune, the Sox have sold 25,000 tickets to tonight's game already. It is 1/2 price night, and I think the team usually gets a walk up of about 5,000 to 10,000 on 1/2 price Mondays (not sure about that). The weather forecast (http://www.wunderground.com/US/IL/Chicago.html), however, is not good. Cloudy and foggy all day, 40% chance or rain this afternoon and evening. I'm guessing they'll draw right around 30,000. With good weather, they would have drawn at least 35,000.

The weather could very well hold out in the Sox's favor ... the weather channel (Link (http://www.weather.com/outlook/sports/hourbyhour/60616)), which was previously predicting rain all through the afternoon, clearing around 5 or 6 p.m., is no longer even predicting rain for then.

I bought tickets this morning and the best available pair was all the way in BOX520, row 14 ... I think if we keep partly sunny skies through about 5:00, we'll get very, very close to 40,000, if not reach it.

FJA
08-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by FJA
The weather could very well hold out in the Sox's favor ... the weather channel (Link (http://www.weather.com/outlook/sports/hourbyhour/60616)), which was previously predicting rain all through the afternoon, clearing around 5 or 6 p.m., is no longer even predicting rain for then.

I bought tickets this morning and the best available pair was all the way in BOX520, row 14 ... I think if we keep partly sunny skies through about 5:00, we'll get very, very close to 40,000, if not reach it.

To update, the best available for two tickets is already over at BOX516, row 12. Two sections over means steady sales over the last two hours. A good walk-up crowd could potentially sell the place out ... I don't think that will happen, since I'm sure some of the usual walk-ups bought tickets ahead of time, but you never know.

voodoochile
08-04-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by FJA
To update, the best available for four tickets is already over at BOX516, row 14. A good walk-up crowd could potentially sell the place out ... I don't think that will happen, since I'm sure some of the usual walk-ups bought tickets ahead of time, but you never know.

That is not the best available, merely the best available OF THE MOST EXPENSIVE SEATS IN THE HOUSE that are still left.

You can probably find seats in the 16th or 17th row within a few sections of home plate. You might have to go to 20. If buying on-line, don't take the best available option, click the UDR option and see what comes up. Home plate is section 531...

soxruleEP
08-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
That is not the best available, merely the best available OF THE MOST EXPENSIVE SEATS IN THE HOUSE that are still left.

You can probably find seats in the 16th or 17th row within a few sections of home plate. You might have to go to 20. If buying on-line, don't take the best available option, click the UDR option and see what comes up. Home plate is section 531...

My season seats are in 535--an excellent view--however, I have a large additional group going tonight and bought tickets in Row 9 of 524 on Saturday morning.

I think we can expect a large crowd tonight.

FJA
08-04-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I know this, and I tried this ... using that, I pull up sec. 531, row 29, and IIRC, that is the top row.

Point is, usually you can get UDB around home plate even right up to the game. That is obviously not the case with today's game, so I think we can expect a larger crowd than usual.

anotherDCsoxfan
08-04-2003, 06:39 PM
It will be great to get 40,000 tonight (and I'll tell you how it looks on TV from the east coast). But no team, not even the flubs, can sustain 20,000 individual game tickets on a regular basis. The key to increased attendance is creating a buzz and building a strong season ticket base.

I expect 37,000 tonight, 30,000 tomorrow night, 24,000 Wednesday.