PDA

View Full Version : Sox hypocirsy

gosox41
08-03-2003, 11:37 PM
I'm just trying to understand something. The Sox have a reliever who wants to start. This reliever has failed as a starter before and can't get righties out too often. Still, the Sox plan on putting him in the rotation in 2004.

Before this season, the Sox had a reliever who was putting up excellent numbers for the team. He, too, wanted to be a starter but the team never gave him a shot. Of course this was just the start of their mistakes handling this pitcher before trading him for garbage.

So why does Schott Schoenwies get a shot at the starting rotation next season while Keith Foulke get booted out of town without that chance at all. I know there are a lot of Koch lovers out there who liked the trade. Does anyone here want to debate who is a better pitcher, Keith Foulke or Scott Schoenweis?

Bob

WhiteSox = Life
08-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'm just trying to understand something. The Sox have a reliever who wants to start. This reliever has failed as a starter before and can't get righties out too often. Still, the Sox plan on putting him in the rotation in 2004.

Before this season, the Sox had a reliever who was putting up excellent numbers for the team. He, too, wanted to be a starter but the team never gave him a shot. Of course this was just the start of their mistakes handling this pitcher before trading him for garbage.

So why does Schott Schoenwies get a shot at the starting rotation next season while Keith Foulke get booted out of town without that chance at all. I know there are a lot of Koch lovers out there who liked the trade. Does anyone here want to debate who is a better pitcher, Keith Foulke or Scott Schoenweis?

Bob

The difference is the Sox acquired Schoewenweis to become a starter. Foulke wanted to be a starter while he was closing for the Sox and they didn't want it. Now, the Sox want a starter and figured Schoewenweis would work for them. Why they traded for a reliever for this year to become a starter next year still eludes me.

It all boils down to what the Sox want to do not what a player wants to do.

And, who's better? Keith or Scott. There's no debate there. The better, by far, pitcher is currently closing for the Oakland Athletics.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-03-2003, 11:44 PM
when Neal Cotts is starting for the Sox, you will all feel better.

WhiteSox = Life
08-03-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
when Neal Cotts is starting for the Sox, you will all feel better.

As long as it's not :wright I'll feel better.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-03-2003, 11:57 PM
I am not too good at math, but here is an equation I think is "wright" (pun intended).

:wright = :jaime

Have you ever noticed that they are never in the same room????

TornLabrum
08-04-2003, 12:22 AM

Bob

I don't know how many pitches Schoeneweis has, but Foulke had two, a mediocre fastball and a wicked change. He also had a nothing slider which no one in his right mind would count as a usable pitch. Foulke was great for one inning, but if you recall, Foulke couldn't go two. So how in the world would anyone expect him to be able to start?

NewyorkSoxFan
08-04-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I don't know how many pitches Schoeneweis has, but Foulke had two, a mediocre fastball and a wicked change. He also had a nothing slider which no one in his right mind would count as a usable pitch. Foulke was great for one inning, but if you recall, Foulke couldn't go two. So how in the world would anyone expect him to be able to start?

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNA!!!

Shoe throws his fastball at about 95 to 96 mph, and he has a curve and cut fastball unlike Foulke who needs to trick you with a change or an unsuspecting fastball. Foulke as a starter would have been a disaster. He is a 1 to 2 inning pitcher at best.

That being said, I would certainly take him over Koch at this point.

NYSF

gosox41
08-04-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

If I had both Foulke and Shoeneweis on the same team right now and that team only had 4 reliable starters, I would definitely give Foulke a chance before Schoeneweis. Last season was a perfect opportunity to pitch Foulke in the rotation to see what he can/can't do. But they stuck with Glover too long, a guy who won't make a good starter.

I may be dead wrong about Foulke. There was a lot of criticism and doubt when Derek Lowe was converted to a starter by Bostn and that's turned out all right. But Sox managment isn't always that bright when it comes to handling pitchers so I will continue to question what I think is lousy managmeent.

Think of it this way, if could draft, identify, and develop major league pitching well, then the Sox may still have Fogg and Wells. They failed in the development aspect of this and even failed to identify how good they could become (they did give both up for Todd Ritchie in the same trade.) Of course if the Sox had Fogg and Wells (or even if they kept one and traded one for Ritchie) there's be a whole lot less worry about the fifth starter spot.

Bob

MarqSox
08-04-2003, 07:51 AM
If I had both Foulke and Shoeneweis on the same team right now and that team only had 4 reliable starters, I would definitely give Foulke a chance before Schoeneweis.

That's why you aren't the manager, thank God.

gosox41
08-04-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
That's why you aren't the manager, thank God.

We'll see. It's not like Schoeneweis is Cy Young here. He's a 29 eyar old pitcher who hasn't been a successul starter before. I hope Foulke gets a chance to start somewhere, I'd like to see how he does.

Bob

Jerko
08-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Guys, Schoenweis may not be a Cy Young pitcher as stated earlier, but he did START FOR THE TEAM THAT WON THE WORLD SERIES last year! THAT makes him deserve a crack at starting before Foulke, who himself said he got tired when he had to go 2 innings.

NewyorkSoxFan
08-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Guys, Schoenweis may not be a Cy Young pitcher as stated earlier, but he did START FOR THE TEAM THAT WON THE WORLD SERIES last year! THAT makes him deserve a crack at starting before Foulke, who himself said he got tired when he had to go 2 innings.

He actually wasn't starting in the Playoffs last year. They called a pitcher up from AAA and he started at the end of the season, and I think in the playoffs. But Shoe was def in the pen last fall.

NYSF