PDA

View Full Version : Losing faith

gosox41
08-03-2003, 11:23 PM
I'm well aware of the great baseball the Sox have been playing since the All Star game, but the last 2 games are pissing me off and making me wonder if the last 2 weeks were a fluke or if this team only gets up for certain games.

Over the last 2 days, the Sox have lost by a combined score of 18-2 in Seattle. They still play awful on the West Coast. I don't think it's a lack of intensity as much as it's a lack of talent. I know the players are jet lagged and all that, but this is ridiculous. If the Sox want to be taken seriously they need to show up against other first place teams. It's nice to dial it up for KC and Min. But the Sox have a harder schedule then both of those teams. They also are a lot more talented on paper. They need to win 2 out of 3 against teams like Seattle once in awhile instead of getting blown out 2 days in a row.

The Sox better come out with some fire against KC. I don't want to be thinking doom and gloom and how the Sox can get swept and be back where they started last week. They need to sweep KC this week, especially if they're going to continuously play bad against all these West Coast teams.

I was a little psyched going into this weekend, but that changed quickly.

Bob

manuelsucks
08-03-2003, 11:59 PM
I agree completely, but I think that if the Sox can at least take 2 of 3 they will show that they are ready to make a move for first place.

Thunderstruck30
08-04-2003, 12:04 AM
I think getting the sweep in KC showed they were ready for 1st place.

TornLabrum
08-04-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
I think getting the sweep in KC showed they were ready for 1st place.

And now it will take another sweep of KC for that to happen. The problem with this club is that if we're not hitting home runs, we just can't score. It's been a fundamental problem all year. Home run streaks come to an end, and with them any chance of winning.

HITMEN OF 77
08-04-2003, 12:22 AM
WAS AT ALL 3 GAMES IN SEATTLE THIS WEEKEND. FRIDAY NIGHTS GAME WAS NOTHING SHORT OF AWESOME! SATURDAY NIGHTS GAME WAS CURSED AFTER THE BAD CALL ON CARLOS STEALING SECOND, IT WAS DOWNHILL FROM THERE AS IF THE AIR WAS LET OUT OF THE BALLOON RIGHT THEN. TODAY (SUNDAY) WAS WELL.......BLAH! I'M SORRY, BUT W HARRIS SHOULDN'T HAVE PLAYED, B DAUBACH I JUST DON'T LIKE HIM AND F THOMAS AND P KONERKO SAT THE BENCH ON THIS ONE. IT SEEMED TO ME THAT THEY DIDN'T CARE IF THEY WON OR LOST TODAY. WE TOOK TWO IN THE CHIN, NOW LETS BEAT UP ON KC AND GET INTO 1ST!

WhiteSox = Life
08-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
WAS AT ALL 3 GAMES IN SEATTLE THIS WEEKEND. FRIDAY NIGHTS GAME WAS NOTHING SHORT OF AWESOME! SATURDAY NIGHTS GAME WAS CURSED AFTER THE BAD CALL ON CARLOS STEALING SECOND, IT WAS DOWNHILL FROM THERE AS IF THE AIR WAS LET OUT OF THE BALLOON RIGHT THEN. TODAY (SUNDAY) WAS WELL.......BLAH! I'M SORRY, BUT W HARRIS SHOULDN'T HAVE PLAYED, B DAUBACH I JUST DON'T LIKE HIM AND F THOMAS AND P KONERKO SAT THE BENCH ON THIS ONE. IT SEEMED TO ME THAT THEY DIDN'T CARE IF THEY WON OR LOST TODAY. WE TOOK TWO IN THE CHIN, NOW LETS BEAT UP ON KC AND GET INTO 1ST!

i agree. friday's game was a blowout, but garcia, who hasn't pitched right in a long time, pitched very badly. saturday, carlos' steal of second where he was incorrectly called out (which the second base umpire knew, as hawk pointed out), was an early blow against the sox and they never recovered from that. however, that should not happen. the sox should not have the wind taken out of their sails with one caught stealing. of course, wright pitched like garcia did the night before. sunday, they were doing fine, until the 5th inning from hell. we'll see how the sox can respond the next three days. like so many have been this season, here's a pivotal series for the sox and they need to show up and kick some royal butt. i'm not pleased with the job done in seattle, but a good rebound would keep sox fans from continuing to jump off the cliff.

Note: In case you were wondering why there wasn't any capitalization in the paragraph above, it's very simple. I was trying to balance the post out.

:smile:

npdempse
08-04-2003, 02:21 AM
I'll be interested to see what we do with teams other than Seattle (or West Coast in general) on the road the rest of the season. Feels like Seattle has pretty much had our number since the 2K playoffs.

lowesox
08-04-2003, 03:49 AM
Ok... this is a little silly. We lose two games to the best team in the AL, and you think that winning 13 out of 14 was a fluke. I'll admit, I quit on this team at one point of the season. And they proved me wrong.

It took about 80 games of terrible baseball to make me seriously doubt them. But i won't even consider it for two.

hose
08-04-2003, 05:50 AM
The Sox were 21-31 on the road before heading into KC .

They went 4-2 and swept KC and you are losing faith?

NewyorkSoxFan
08-04-2003, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
Ok... this is a little silly. We lose two games to the best team in the AL, and you think that winning 13 out of 14 was a fluke. I'll admit, I quit on this team at one point of the season. And they proved me wrong.

It took about 80 games of terrible baseball to make me seriously doubt them. But i won't even consider it for two.

Will you guys either stay on or get off the Banwagon. I am tired of reading about "losing faith" after the teams lose one or 2 games. This team is 32-19 since June 7. They have the 2nd best record in the AL since that time. They are playing .600 baseball, PLEASE GIVE IT A REST.

Now lets go home and beat the Royals and take 2 of 3 from the A's.

NYSF

Dancing Bannana Shake what Your Moma Gave You!!!!

ChiSoxBobette
08-04-2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'm well aware of the great baseball the Sox have been playing since the All Star game, but the last 2 games are pissing me off and making me wonder if the last 2 weeks were a fluke or if this team only gets up for certain games.

Over the last 2 days, the Sox have lost by a combined score of 18-2 in Seattle. They still play awful on the West Coast. I don't think it's a lack of intensity as much as it's a lack of talent. I know the players are jet lagged and all that, but this is ridiculous. If the Sox want to be taken seriously they need to show up against other first place teams. It's nice to dial it up for KC and Min. But the Sox have a harder schedule then both of those teams. They also are a lot more talented on paper. They need to win 2 out of 3 against teams like Seattle once in awhile instead of getting blown out 2 days in a row.

The Sox better come out with some fire against KC. I don't want to be thinking doom and gloom and how the Sox can get swept and be back where they started last week. They need to sweep KC this week, especially if they're going to continuously play bad against all these West Coast teams.

I was a little psyched going into this weekend, but that changed quickly.

Bob

I've come to the conclusion that Sox fans just want to complain. Look at what the Sox have done , but its never enough. Could it have been they were a little bit tired. You people always see the bad never the good. We went 4 & 2 on this short road trip we left home 4 games back and we come back home 2 games back any other team in a divsion race would be overjoyed to be in our postion. But all I've read on any of the internet sites is this doom & gloom crap.

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!

gosox41
08-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
i agree. friday's game was a blowout, but garcia, who hasn't pitched right in a long time, pitched very badly. saturday, carlos' steal of second where he was incorrectly called out (which the second base umpire knew, as hawk pointed out), was an early blow against the sox and they never recovered from that. however, that should not happen. the sox should not have the wind taken out of their sails with one caught stealing. of course, wright pitched like garcia did the night before. sunday, they were doing fine, until the 5th inning from hell. we'll see how the sox can respond the next three days. like so many have been this season, here's a pivotal series for the sox and they need to show up and kick some royal butt. i'm not pleased with the job done in seattle, but a good rebound would keep sox fans from continuing to jump off the cliff.

Note: In case you were wondering why there wasn't any capitalization in the paragraph above, it's very simple. I was trying to balance the post out.

:smile:

It's sad to see the Sox so mentally weak that one blown call breaks their concentration and psyches them out. How pathetic.

Bob

gosox41
08-04-2003, 07:39 AM

Like you said the Sox played 80 games of terrible ball. The season is 110 games old, so that means they've only played 30 well played games. 15 of the have come in the last 2 weeks when they were on a hot streak (unless you're sayign I can expect the Sox to play .900 ball the rest of the way, then it's not a hot streak it's gret baseball.)

Then they go to Seattle a possible playoff opponent and srop 2 games by a score of 18-2. I don't want to hear excuses about Wright or bad calls against Lee or resting too many starters. The bottom line wins and losses effect the standings. The Sox hardly played well in those 2 games, not something I'd expect from a team that's been so dominating. At least if hte games were close, I could have more hope saying the Sox played Seattle tough on the road in a place they generally suck at. Instead they're proving that they're underacheivers.

Bob

gosox41
08-04-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
I've come to the conclusion that Sox fans just want to complain. Look at what the Sox have done , but its never enough. Could it have been they were a little bit tired. You people always see the bad never the good. We went 4 & 2 on this short road trip we left home 4 games back and we come back home 2 games back any other team in a divsion race would be overjoyed to be in our postion. But all I've read on any of the internet sites is this doom & gloom crap.

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!

I'm a Sox fan. Years of heartbreak and disappointment by this team has forced me to expect nothing but doom and gloom. I hope this time is different, but my hopes aren't that high yet.

Bob

MarqSox
08-04-2003, 07:43 AM
It's sad to see the Sox so mentally weak that one blown call breaks their concentration and psyches them out. How pathetic.

Bob

It's sad to see Sox Fans so mentally weak that two bad games out of 15 throws them into panic mode and gets them down on the team. How pathetic.

Marq

gosox41
08-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
It's sad to see Sox Fans so mentally weak that two bad games out of 15 throws them into panic mode and gets them down on the team. How pathetic.

Marq

I'm just saying I'm concerned about this team. I hope they win it all. Of course this is a team that has a history of playing crappy on the West Coast (where 2 possible playoff opponents can come from.) They have failed to improve on this trend, even though they are supposedly a different team then in June. how pathetic.

Bob

TornLabrum
08-04-2003, 07:59 AM

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!

Yeah, that's the ticket. They were tired! That's why four starters needed to rest yesterday! Thanks for explaining that. They'd played five games since their last day off. I can see where that would be exhausting, especially in the 68-degree weather at game time yesterday.

Thank you for explaining it all for me.

TornLabrum
08-04-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox

Marq

It it were only 2 games out of 15 that would be one thing. The problem is that this team was absolutely pathetic through most of the first three months of the season. It has only been a month (which I'm informed is nothing when it regards the performance of an individual player like Rick White, and hence must count the same way for a team) since the Sox the Sox went 2-9 against the likes of Tampa Bay, Detroit, and Cleveland.

It's not just 2 out of 15. It's the whole bloody season.

MarqSox
08-04-2003, 08:07 AM
I'm just saying I'm concerned about this team. I hope they win it all. Of course this is a team that has a history of playing crappy on the West Coast (where 2 possible playoff opponents can come from.) They have failed to improve on this trend, even though they are supposedly a different team then in June. how pathetic.

Bob

The Royals are 18-28 against the AL East and West. Are they pathetic? (OK, bad example)

The Mariners are 5-7 against the AL East.

Houston is 14-22 against the NL East and West.

St. Louis is 9-15 against the NL West.

San Francisco has a losing record against the NL East.

Point is, you can look at any team and find a team or group of teams that they struggle against. As long as they play well against the Royals (and Twins), all that won't matter.

gosox41
08-04-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
It it were only 2 games out of 15 that would be one thing. The problem is that this team was absolutely pathetic through most of the first three months of the season. It has only been a month (which I'm informed is nothing when it regards the performance of an individual player like Rick White, and hence must count the same way for a team) since the Sox the Sox went 2-9 against the likes of Tampa Bay, Detroit, and Cleveland.

It's not just 2 out of 15. It's the whole bloody season.

Well said. The recent hot streak was nice but hardly makes up for the disappointing first half.

Bob

Jerko
08-04-2003, 08:57 AM
You know what, it is all fine and dandy that "we left 4 games out and are now 2 games out", which seems to be the excuse for nobody caring anymore that we just gave away 2 games on a silver platter. I look at it this way: "We were tied for first on Friday, we're 2 games out 2 days later, even though we know that the team we're tied with is playing the 2nd worst team in the league and will probably win, so let's start Dan Wright. Oh wait, we're a game out now and KC is still playing TB so let's send the Willie Harris lineup out the next day and be 2 games out 2 days after we were tied". Call me negative if you will but EVERY time we can do something, that's when we fall back. I'm also sick of hearing "Oh, Seattle is so good, we always lose to them". I hope none of you are Bears fans; that must mean that losing to the Packers doesn't bother you because "it always happens". BULL! We only seem to get up for whoever is in first in our division at the time and the Cubs. Well, there are no more Cub games left, the All-Star high is over, what can motivate this team now? I'm sure they'll be fired up these next 3 with KC, but the visage of facing Mulder with our "sunday best" on Sunday just kills me already. Not to mention if the 5th starter spot doesn't get skipped with the day off thursday. That's 2 losses to the A's right there. And if Dick Harden pitches, well, we've never seen him before, sweep city here we come. And who does KC play when we're playing OAK? Tampa. We can be 8 games out by Sunday, so if that happens just remember Dan Wright and the Sunday special lineup and then tell me how happy you are that we left 4 games out and came back only 2 out when we're 8 out. (That sounded dirty, ate out). If we actually surprise people and win, I'll still hate Manuel's guts but I'll give him credit if he deserves it.

voodoochile
08-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
You know what, it is all fine and dandy that "we left 4 games out and are now 2 games out", which seems to be the excuse for nobody caring anymore that we just gave away 2 games on a silver platter. I look at it this way: "We were tied for first on Friday, we're 2 games out 2 days later, even though we know that the team we're tied with is playing the 2nd worst team in the league and will probably win, so let's start Dan Wright. Oh wait, we're a game out now and KC is still playing TB so let's send the Willie Harris lineup out the next day and be 2 games out 2 days after we were tied". Call me negative if you will but EVERY time we can do something, that's when we fall back. I'm also sick of hearing "Oh, Seattle is so good, we always lose to them". I hope none of you are Bears fans; that must mean that losing to the Packers doesn't bother you because "it always happens". BULL! We only seem to get up for whoever is in first in our division at the time and the Cubs. Well, there are no more Cub games left, the All-Star high is over, what can motivate this team now? I'm sure they'll be fired up these next 3 with KC, but the visage of facing Mulder with our "sunday best" on Sunday just kills me already. Not to mention if the 5th starter spot doesn't get skipped with the day off thursday. That's 2 losses to the A's right there. And if Dick Harden pitches, well, we've never seen him before, sweep city here we come. And who does KC play when we're playing OAK? Tampa. We can be 8 games out by Sunday, so if that happens just remember Dan Wright and the Sunday special lineup and then tell me how happy you are that we left 4 games out and came back only 2 out when we're 8 out. (That sounded dirty, ate out). If we actually surprise people and win, I'll still hate Manuel's guts but I'll give him credit if he deserves it.

We didn't give away the second game, we just got shelled. The third game is all on Manuel and his "Suckday Special Lineup".

One series in August rarely makes or breaks a team. This one sucked, but we got beat bad, time to get over it and move on. No late game blown calls or bullpen meltdowns to contend with, just a couple of days where the pitchers took it on the chin and the offense didn't hit. Wait until Thursday before making any bandwagon decisions, IMO.

Jerko
08-04-2003, 02:02 PM
Any game Dan Wright starts I consider "giving away". Everybody on here since last week predicted that would be a loss.

LASOXFAN
08-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Let's face it, they lost two in Seattle because of a combination of bad pitching and poor hitting, pure and simple. Yesterday's game could've been a tight one had Buehrle not lost his composure after Manos blew an easy out. I've lost count of how many times Buehrle tanks after a crucial error. He even admitted as much a few weeks ago.

The bats cooled off in the face of quality pitching. We didn't match them on the mound. That's it. Before we make any rash predictions, lets see how they bounce back against KC. We'll know if they're doubting themselves or if they still have that swagger.

Frankly speaking, it's time for Thomas to lead this team. Right now. He sets the table in the 3-hole. Let's hope he gets on track. It sure seems to loosen up everyone else when he does.

More importantly, I'm soooo sick of losing to the A's!! That's the barometer series, IMHO.

kempsted
08-04-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Any game Dan Wright starts I consider "giving away". Everybody on here since last week predicted that would be a loss.
And you would have been wrong in 6 of 12 of his starts all of which we won.

Jerko
08-04-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by kempsted
And you would have been wrong in 6 of 12 of his starts all of which we won.

Yeah, and one of those games he had an era over 6 and another one one his era was 9 and the Sox won because they got his butt out of there in time. 2 of those wins also came in our "streak" vs. Cubs and Minny, and 3 more were vs. Baltimore, San Diego, and Detroit. A far cry from Seattle. It's been over a month (july 2) since the Sox have won a game he started, so don't hit me with this "and you would have been wrong 6 out of 12 times" stuff. I wasn't talking about those games, I meant ONCE HE GOT RECALLED, everyone here lamented his next start, predicting a loss. It was a loss. He has not won a game yet. Also, 6 out of 12 is .500. Let the Sox play .500 the rest of the year and see how far they get.

gosox41
08-04-2003, 11:26 PM

How about 3?

Bob

gosox41
08-04-2003, 11:30 PM

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!

So far it's panning out. How am I supposed to show faith in a team where:
1. The manager is a dolt.
2. The team can't execute fundamental baseball...a problem for 3 years.
3. It seems to be home runs or nothing. How many times in the first 3 innings did the Sox have a chance to blow the game open early?
4. the bullpen keeps blowing up.

These are all the trends of the season. The difference is for two weeks a bunch of hitters finally got hot all at once and clobbered the ball making the 4 points moot.

Bob