PDA

View Full Version : Will first place become ".500"?


MHOUSE
08-03-2003, 10:27 PM
It seems over the 2nd half of last year and until around the break this year that the Sox have had trouble getting over .500. They'd break even or get to a game under and then lose a couple and not get over the hump. Do you think this will happen with first place in the central? We swept KC, beat Seattle, and were tied. Then we lose two, they win two and we're back down. Will this become the trend? :(:

gosox41
08-03-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
It seems over the 2nd half of last year and until around the break this year that the Sox have had trouble getting over .500. They'd break even or get to a game under and then lose a couple and not get over the hump. Do you think this will happen with first place in the central? We swept KC, beat Seattle, and were tied. Then we lose two, they win two and we're back down. Will this become the trend? :(:

Let's hope not. I figure 90 wins is good enough to win the AL Central. The Sox need to go 32-19 for that to happen. Hopefully they'll start another run Monday ngiht.

Bob

MarqSox
08-03-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Let's hope not. I figure 90 wins is good enough to win the AL Central.

I was thinking more like 88.

whitesoxwilkes
08-04-2003, 06:51 AM
Had the same thought walking to work this morning...just remember, we always found a way to get to .500 the past 2 seasons...if this theory holds true, we'll find a way to backdoor ourselves a division title.

Shoeless Joe
08-04-2003, 07:29 AM
The Jndians got the central division with 86 wins in '97, and I believe that's still the fewest so far. But anyways, the Sox were not going to play .900 ball the entire second half and neither are the Royals. In time the Royals are going to get Sweeney back which is going to be huge for them, but realistically their entire pitching staff is full of overachievers while the Sox staff is full of underachievers. Pretty soon that will show up come September.

MHOUSE
08-04-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Shoeless Joe
The Jndians got the central division with 86 wins in '97, and I believe that's still the fewest so far. But anyways, the Sox were not going to play .900 ball the entire second half and neither are the Royals. In time the Royals are going to get Sweeney back which is going to be huge for them, but realistically their entire pitching staff is full of overachievers while the Sox staff is full of underachievers. Pretty soon that will show up come September.

Well our offense certainly underachieved and now it's back where we thought it would be all along. But our pitching has been inconsistent. Buehrle was worse than we thought, so was Colon. Loaiza was way better than advertised and Garland seems to have figured something out. Any 5th starter has been ok to awful. The bullpen has had Marte and Wunsch be HUGE while Koch sucks. White sucks. Gordon has been good lately. Can't we just be consistent?