PDA

View Full Version : Media Fawning Over Cubs Win Making Me Sick

Viva Magglio
08-03-2003, 09:49 PM
I am going to be sick. I get the sense already that the media is going to fawn all over the Cubs' victory today and act like a World Series championship is a foregone conclusion. At the same time, we're probably being written off because 1) We're the Sox, and 2) We lost two of three to Seattle.

We could go into first place this week, God-willing. Yet, the media will be more "ga-ga" over any success the Cubs have this week against NL West powerhouses San Diego and Los Angeles.

I am not promoting the idea that what the Cubs do should take precedence over rooting for our team by any means. However, that Cubs win today made me sick. You know, if there is a manager who might really should be fired, it just might be Bob Brenley. Maybe it's because I'm a partisan White Sox fan, but the fact that the Cubs won on a home run by Sammy Sosa especially sickened me. I still cannot understand why people consider this guy a hero with all his character flaws. I am not saying any of us or our players are perfect, but Sosa is so flawed that people's love for his is a head-scratcher.

:chunks

DrCrawdad
08-03-2003, 10:14 PM
Obviously the Sox would love to have won 2 of 3 in Seattle. But 4 of 6 on the road trip ain't too shabby.

The Cubbie had a .500 homestand a while back and it was portrayed as a dominant homestand.

What the Sox need to do is just beat the Royals and ignore what the media is saying.

MarqSox
08-03-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Maybe it's because I'm a partisan White Sox fan, but the fact that the Cubs won on a home run by Sammy Sosa especially sickened me. I still cannot understand why people consider this guy a hero with all his character flaws. I am not saying any of us or our players are perfect, but Sosa is so flawed that people's love for his is a head-scratcher.

I hate Sosa as much as anybody, but the dude hit a game winning home run for a team that is very much in the pennant race, like it or not. What would you have the media do, ignore the homer and just flash the score up on the screen while dissecting how the Sox got trounced today?

cheeses_h_rice
08-03-2003, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it, Viva.

The Flubs are destined for third place and about a .500 record this year, no matter how much screeching Chimp Caray does about it. You know when Augie Ojeda's being called up that it isn't your year.

Just relax and let the natural Flubbiness take over. They're in third place now and will continue to flounder, even despite the 2 narrow victories over the D-backs...

FJA
08-04-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I wouldn't worry too much about it, Viva.

The Flubs are destined for third place and about a .500 record this year, no matter how much screeching Chimp Caray does about it. You know when Augie Ojeda's being called up that it isn't your year.

Just relax and let the natural Flubbiness take over. They're in third place now and will continue to flounder, even despite the 2 narrow victories over the D-backs...

I was gone today, so sorry if this is a repost, but Mark Grudzielanek is out for probably four weeks (per SportsCenter or BBTN), and at least two to four weeks according to this link-->Link (http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/chc/news/chc_news.jsp?ymd=20030803&content_id=458571&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chn)

For those who don't want to click, he has a broken hand.

If the Flubs go to the playoffs without Patterson, maybe without Grudzielanek and maybe without Prior in pre-idiotic collision form, I will eat my Cardinals hat.

http://www.kansascity.com/images/kansascity/kansascity/5095/25961581690.jpg

Maybe they'll play God's second favorite team the Royals in World Series.

Hangar18
08-04-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I hate Sosa as much as anybody, but the dude hit a game winning home run for a team that is very much in the pennant race, like it or not.

What would you have the media do, ignore the homer and just flash the score up on the screen while dissecting how the Sox got trounced today?

Yeah...he hit a GW homer on 1. No-Name Pitcher, like 90% of all his homers are.... 2. the "homer" went only 368 ft....a Fly Ball in every Other Major League Park. why the media IGNORES that part of the equation....I dont know. Brenly outmanaged himself all weekend....he shouldve had the Dbacks SWEEP the cubs, but instead, slinks out losing 2 of 3

alohafri
08-04-2003, 11:17 AM
" but the fact that the Cubs won on a home run by Sammy Sosa especially sickened me. I still cannot understand why people consider this guy a hero with all his character flaws. I am not saying any of us or our players are perfect, but Sosa is so flawed that people's love for his is a head-scratcher."

Go to MLB.com and read the player profiles for scamME and for Big Frank. You will see all the statistics about them. Then read about all the charitable work that Frank is or has been involved with. You will find that there is NOTHING about charitable work in scamME's profile. I think charitable work is an obligation by these millionnaire sports figures and it is their duty to give back to the community. Also says LOTS about their character.

So I, too, am baffled by the scamME love affair.

(mrs. Aloha)

LuvSox
08-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
You know when Augie Ojeda's being called up that it isn't your year.
Just relax and let the natural Flubbiness take over.

True words of wisdom.

gosox3072
08-04-2003, 05:45 PM
The media coverage havent been that bad the past week or so, first of all to viva, the cubs didnt play the padres and the dodgers, they played the giants and the diamondbacks. the cubs won and the sox last who do you think the media will cover more?

Listening to 670 today there was a lot of sox coverage, probably more than cub coverage so i dont think they are doing to very bad with the media coverage.