PDA

View Full Version : Supp-Herrmann Interview

CiscoCarlos
08-03-2003, 08:02 PM
Another great choice by Lip and a thoughtful interview. The Sox teams from 1971-73 were a lot of fun and Herrmann was always right in the center of it.

If anyone ever has an extra few minutes they might go under google and look up "Ed Herrmann." If there was ever an award for having the the weirdest web site of any ex-Sox player, he'd win going away.

One site delves into his finding Christianity; another talks about the great fun he had being a White Sox; his like and respect for a wide range of the Sox cast in the early '70s ranging from Wibur Wood to Harry Caray. (he has a special section called "My friend, Harry Caray').

Anyways, it's refreshing to see a player who recalls his White Sox career with such happiness.

Lip Man 1
08-03-2003, 09:14 PM
Cisco:

Many thanks for your kind words. Ed was very nice during the interview.

I have a few options for the next one including a current member of the Chicago media, a former Sox pitcher from the early / mid 60's and another of Herrmann's teammates who acted a mite strange on the field sometimes.

Lip

Reichardt
08-04-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Cisco:

Many thanks for your kind words. Ed was very nice during the interview.

I have a few options for the next one including a current member of the Chicago media, a former Sox pitcher from the early / mid 60's and another of Herrmann's teammates who acted a mite strange on the field sometimes.

Lip

Keep bringin it!
I love to hear from the Sox players that played in that era. I've printed out the interviews for my internet challenged seventy-something father. Each interview prompts plenty of old-time Sox discussion.

whitesoxwilkes
08-06-2003, 10:58 AM
I haven't expressed this before and have been meaning to for a while. For young Sox fans like me (well, I'm not young, but a relative newcomer to Sox fandom) these interviews are GREAT! They give tons of insight into the history the club has which I quite frankly was not all that aware of...

TornLabrum
08-06-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I haven't expressed this before and have been meaning to for a while. For young Sox fans like me (well, I'm not young, but a relative newcomer to Sox fandom) these interviews are GREAT! They give tons of insight into the history the club has which I quite frankly was not all that aware of...

If you can find any of Rich Lindberg's books: Stuck on the Sox, Whose on Third?, Stealing First, or the White Sox Encyclopedia, do so. Rich is the consummate Sox fan. He has the box score of every game the team has ever played.

Reichardt
08-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
If you can find any of Rich Lindberg's books: Stuck on the Sox, Whose on Third?, Stealing First, or the White Sox Encyclopedia, do so. Rich is the consummate Sox fan. He has the box score of every game the team has ever played.

Amen to that. I couldn't believe my eyes when I stumbled onto Stuck on the Sox back in 1978. It was WSI condensed into book form.

Lip Man 1
08-06-2003, 09:10 PM
You can contact Rich at:

Rclwriter@aol.com

and look for the link on the main page of WSI, left side, just under the "baseball card of the week" feature called WSI Interviews.

Click on it and you can go to where we have stored all of them including the one I did with Rich.

Lip

Mule Haas
08-07-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by CiscoCarlos
Another great choice by Lip and a thoughtful interview. The Sox teams from 1971-73 were a lot of fun and Herrmann was always right in the center of it.

As a kid, i could relate to Ed, because i was always the slowest kid on my team. i still recall the udder shock and joy i had when the slow plodding Herrmann "legged" out his first career triple in 1973 after 1,500 or so career at bats (i believe the right fielder dove and missed the ball, which was ultimately chased down by the center fielder). Until reading that interview, i never realized that his "speed" was surgery induced.

Alas, i had no excuse....i was just plain slow.