PDA

View Full Version : What Happened To No Tinkering?

princek
08-03-2003, 04:06 PM
todays lineup is all bench guys

TornLabrum
08-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by princek

They need a rest. They haven't had a day off since Monday.

Jurr
08-03-2003, 04:26 PM
I think it's smart as hell. Meche is a tough pitcher. That's all we would need...have a tough pitcher befuddle Thomas and Konerko, two of the most mental guys in the game, and hurt them for the KC series. If we lose this game, oh well. We'll be okay. They boys still have good vibes going, and this way, you keep 'em going into KC. This game is set up to be a defensive/pitching matchup anyway.

princek
08-03-2003, 04:41 PM
Buerhle is a tough pitcher too, but you dont seattle with their pony league squad in. It was gonna be tough enough to score runs on meche with our A squad, and with one of our hottest pitchers going we should have our a squad in to back him up for a chance to take this series. Manuel is an idiot plain and simple.

Procol Harum
08-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Un--stinkin'--believable..we need to win the series and we start the Junior Varsity.

rmusacch
08-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

Ridiculous to rest them all at the same time. Manuel said he gave Thomas the day off so that he can get his 2,000th hit in Chicago. Isn't it more important to win than to make sure a player gets a hit at home?

fuzzy_patters
08-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Ridiculous to rest them all at the same time. Manuel said he gave Thomas the day off so that he can get his 2,000th hit in Chicago. Isn't it more important to win than to make sure a player gets a hit at home?

No, it is not more important than making sure he gets the hit at home. The reason is that this upcoming series against KC represents more than just three baseball games. It is a chance to make a statement to the Royals and Twins that the past few weeks have not been flukes. However, this will be tough to do coming off the long road trip followed by and off-day. You have to fear a let down going into this KC series, and the Sox cannot afford that. The solution is to give Thomas a shot at getting hit number 2000 in game one against the Royals. That way you get the crowd in the game, which pumps the team up and decreases the likelihood of a let down.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

It's nothing but an excuse. Manuel needs an excuse for why he NEEDS to play Daubach and Rowand. Telling us the truth (that he enjoys tinkering, even though it usually doesn't work) will only get him in trouble. So now he's inventing reasons. Today it is Frank's 2000th hit. Two weeks ago it was Frank's "mystery" leg muscle pull.

It's all bull****. He is such a COWARD, he won't even come clean with us anymore. That laughable excuse he offered Greenstein before Friday's game won't even work anymore ("I try to play everyone the first-half"). Sorry Jerry, now it's August. Think of something else.

The man needs to be fired.

OKCSoxFan
08-03-2003, 05:52 PM
I guess my only question to those supporting resting certain players to protect their "psyche" before a big home series is: How will the team psyche be affected by two blowout losses?

LuvSox
08-03-2003, 05:54 PM

Boo ****ing hoo.

Saracen
08-03-2003, 05:57 PM
Every team in baseball rests their starters on getaway day, particularly when they have a long flight that night. It's of the utmost important for everyone to be fully rested for KC. I think it's the right move.

WhiteSox = Life
08-03-2003, 05:57 PM
I believe TornLabrum's post, though not in that color, was to be seen in teal.

That's what I read it as. Pardon me if I'm wrong.

SoxOnTop
08-03-2003, 06:19 PM
Unbe-F***-lieveable!!! If you really need to get these guys rested, then rest them when we've got a AAA scrub, ala Wright, on the mound. Not when we've got Buehrle and an excelent chance to close out the series!

OEO Magglio
08-03-2003, 06:22 PM
Every team in baseball rests their starters on getaway day, particularly when they have a long flight that night. It's of the utmost important for everyone to be fully rested for KC. I think it's the right move.
Maybe rest one guy, there is really no reason at all to rest your dh, come on now, we have all of our bench players in, every single one of them, and if Manuel really rested Frank so he can get his 2000th hit at home, then Manuel has got to learn it's more important for this team to win ball games, instead of worrying when Frank gets his 2000th hit, it's really not a tough concept.

TornLabrum
08-03-2003, 06:24 PM

Sorry, I forgot to put that in teal.

LongLiveFisk
08-03-2003, 07:16 PM
what happened to no tinkering?

I propose a new nickname for Jerry Manuel....

"Tinkerbell"

:cool:

gosox41
08-04-2003, 12:03 AM

:jerry
Did you really think I was going to sit back and do nothing the rest of the season when I have all these great new ideas I want to see fail???

Bob