PDA

View Full Version : Neal Cotts should start next time

lowesox
08-03-2003, 02:42 AM
I think Neal Cotts should get a start to prove that he can be the first starter. I've been a supporter of Danny Wright all year, but lets face it he's not getting the job done.

While I think a trade is a good idea, and a big possibility, why not give Cotts a shot now. I think he's our best option and gives us the best chance of winning.

If after one or two starts he's not fairing well, we can use Porzio again (who I think did well two out of three starts) or trade for somebody.

DrCrawdad
08-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Cotts stats from 8/2 start

WinningUgly!
08-03-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I think Neal Cotts should get a start to prove that he can be the first starter. I've been a supporter of Danny Wright all year, but lets face it he's not getting the job done.

While I think a trade is a good idea, and a big possibility, why not give Cotts a shot now. I think he's our best option and gives us the best chance of winning.

If after one or two starts he's not fairing well, we can use Porzio again (who I think did well two out of three starts) or trade for somebody.

I agree. Supposedly, the Sox considered calling up Cotts to start Saturday's game, but decided against it. Wright got the start because the Sox didn't like Cotts going against the strong right-handed lineup of the Mariners. Cotts deserves a shot.

Lip Man 1
08-03-2003, 01:33 PM
You know I'm opposed to playing "can't miss kids" in the middle of a pennant race but considering Wright has brought NOTHING to the table and Porzio NEXT TO NOTHING, it might be worth a one shot gamble.

I mean we're going to lose the game anyway so why not for one shot?

By the way whatever happened to that kid pitcher who made the club out of spring training and won a game against the Tigers in April?

Didn't he get hurt or something because I'm surprised the Sox haven't considered him.

Lip

jeremyb1
08-03-2003, 01:45 PM
i'd really like to see how wright fares in the bullpen.

WinningUgly!
08-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

By the way whatever happened to that kid pitcher who made the club out of spring training and won a game against the Tigers in April?

Didn't he get hurt or something because I'm surprised the Sox haven't considered him.

Lip

Josh Stewart. He was sent down on May 5th when Danny Wright came off the DL. Stewart was decent in his 1st 4 starts, with a 3.68 era against DET(twice), CLE & BAL. He was rocked for 8 runs in 3.2 innings against SEA on May 3rd & we haven't seen him since.

RKMeibalane
08-03-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Josh Stewart. He was sent down on May 5th when Danny Wright came off the DL. Stewart was decent in his 1st 4 starts, with a 3.68 era against DET(twice), CLE & BAL. He was rocked for 8 runs in 3.2 innings against SEA on May 3rd & we haven't seen him since.

Bringing Stewart back isn't a bad idea. He will most definitely be back with the big league club in September. Cotts will probably come up, as well.

Danny Wright is really getting on my nerves. He has great stuff, but he knows absolutely nothing about getting people out. Too many times last night, the count went full on Seattle hitters. Hawk and DJ pointed this out more than once. If Wright would just go after hitters and not fall behind in the count, he would be a much better pitcher. Garland had the same problem earlier in the year, but he seems to have finally moved beyond it, and so, he has become a more effective pitcher. Wright needs to do the same, or he won't be around much longer. The Sox appear to be "putting all of their eggs in one basket," and players who aren't contributing will become expendable.

gogosoxgogo
08-03-2003, 02:27 PM
I'm opposed to this. While I do believe that Cotts is a better option than Porzio/Wright/Stewart, I don't think that we should rush this guy to the big leagues. He so far has not pitched above AA. Rushing him into the big leagues in the middle of a pennant race would be a mistake in my opinion. He will be under a ton of pressure with a lot of media watching everything he does. I believe we bring this kid up in a low pressure environment, where he can get acclamated to big league hitting. Our schedule is not the easiest one for some 22 year old rookie to make his first big league starts against. What is this going to do for this kid's confidence when he gets shelled by the offense of New York, Boston, Seattle, Oakland, etc. Yes, there have been some success stories of rookies pitching very well in pennant races (Rich Harden), but everyone of those stories, I can give you a completely reverse story of a "can't miss prospect" who was brought up to the big leagues in the middle of a pennant race, and hasn't been seen since (Scott Ruffcorn). Plus, if my memory serves me correctly, Cotts is not on the 40 man roster.

MisterB
08-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Stewart is currently on the DL. He was 0-3 in 5 starts with a 6.15 ERA for Charlotte before he was disabled.

Lip Man 1
08-03-2003, 06:29 PM
Jeremy says:

I'd really like to see how Wright fares in the bullpen.

You know what Jeremy, I'd really like to see how Wright fares in ANOTHER friggin' organization!

Lip

maurice
08-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

IIRC, he pitched very well until he was hit in the chest with a batted ball. Then he was demoted to AAA and placed on the DL soon thereafter. If he's healthy and performing, he'll be a Sept. callup and contend for a rotaion spot next spring. The Sox are very high on him, though Kermit and others are not.

A.T. Money
08-04-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Jeremy says:

I'd really like to see how Wright fares in the bullpen.

You know what Jeremy, I'd really like to see how Wright fares in ANOTHER friggin' organization!

Lip

LOL.

Randar68
08-04-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
He so far has not pitched above AA. Rushing him into the big leagues in the middle of a pennant race would be a mistake in my opinion. He will be under a ton of pressure with a lot of media watching everything he does. I believe we bring this kid up in a low pressure environment, where he can get acclamated to big league hitting.

Were you around in 2000? Mark Buehrle. End of discussion.

gogosoxgogo
08-04-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Were you around in 2000? Mark Buehrle. End of discussion.

Randar, that's great. We call throw names back and forth all day of pitchers who suceeded when they brought into the middle of a pennant race, or ones who fell of the face of the earth. I just believe that someone with the talents of Cotts is not someone that you want to rush to the big leagues, because the risk is far too great in my opinion.

Randar68
08-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Randar, that's great. We call throw names back and forth all day of pitchers who suceeded when they brought into the middle of a pennant race, or ones who fell of the face of the earth. I just believe that someone with the talents of Cotts is not someone that you want to rush to the big leagues, because the risk is far too great in my opinion.

They've already said the 5th starter will have no more than 2 (maybe 3 IIRC) more starts this season. What is the damage of calling Cotts up for those starts and returning him to AA? If the starts are on the normal rotation, they can keep him up with the team.

I don't see the harm. It's a much better option than Wright (although he has gotten ZERO offensive support) or Porzio. Heck, at this point I'd rather see Big Jon. It doesn't matter, but Wright obviously cannot handle this starting once every 15 days crap in addition to his other well-documented issues. Cotts is a mature guy who knows how to pitch.

At the point, what the Hell. These 2-3 games could help decide the division. You want to go with lesser pitchers at this point? This team is built to win this year, not 2 years from now.

If they feel he can help, you do it.

delben91
08-04-2003, 01:03 PM
I'm as much against rushing someone as the next guy. However, as Lip and others have said, if our alternatives are watching Wright or Porzio get pummelled, then I agree, Cotts can't be much worse.

If he's great, all the better, if he's torched, it's one start, send him back down, and he's not much worse for the wear.

Can't hurt.