PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 8/3

Lip Man 1
08-03-2003, 01:16 AM
"I probably need to freshen a few guys up ,"--Manager Gandhi to Teddy Greenstein of the Tribune.

The "no tinker" policy didn't even last a week!!!!! LOL LOL LOL

What a buffoon.

Lip

Saracen
08-03-2003, 01:25 AM
Every team in baseball rests guys on getaway day. Alomar has already stated he doesn't like to play in day games after a night game, what's the harm of putting Graffy in?

I'd rather have guys rested for KC than Seattle. I just don't see the harm. They were lifeless tonight, it's been a long week. Rest a couple guys, who cares?

Lip Man 1
08-03-2003, 01:56 AM
The difference is Alomar is hitting near .300 with the Sox, Graffy's in a big slump and the Sox are facing one of the best pitchers in the league.

They only have two months left...plenty of time to rest in DECEMBER!

Lip

doublem23
08-03-2003, 02:25 AM
You're giving Gil Meche too much credit.

RKMeibalane
08-03-2003, 10:07 AM
:jerry

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

I really don't like Jerry Manuel.

Paulwny
08-03-2003, 10:19 AM
Does JM think he's running an assisted living facility ?

Jurr
08-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Please don't start showing a lack of ignorance to the game of baseball. The guys do need a day off every once in a while. It helps to recharge the batteries, so to speak. I don't care if you're playing high school, college, or MLB, you are better suited as a manager to get some of your other guys in from time to time. What's the problem with putting Graffy and Daubach in the game today? Graffanino has shown that he can get on base and produce...so has Daubach.
Jerry has been getting better about putting out a consistent lineup, so give him a break! Let his leadoff man and #3 hitter get a nice day off before heading back to Chicago for the more important series. Plus, Graffanino and Daubach aren't chopped liver. They can produce very well.
The deal is, this team hit a wall last night. They've been torridly hitting lately, and these things happen. So, you put in some guys that are fired up and ready to contribute, and you get your boys some rest. That is smart managing, and it's a policy that ANY manager would do. If we had Bobby f****** Cox out there managing the Sox, he'd do the same thing. Joe Torre, Tony LaRussa..Lou Pinella...it's called knowing the game.
Give Jerry Manuel a break.

LauraJ14
08-03-2003, 11:22 AM
Jurr,
You are preaching to the choir, it doesn't matter what JM does, someone has a problem with him. Even though other managers give guys a day off, when JM does it, he doesn't know how to manage. I think Tony LaRussa is the king of playing everyone and it seems to work for him and his teams.

By the way,
Graffanino is hitting .354 in July with a .404 OBP, 3 HR and 8 RBI.

valposoxfan
08-03-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The difference is Alomar is hitting near .300 with the Sox, Graffy's in a big slump and the Sox are facing one of the best pitchers in the league.

They only have two months left...plenty of time to rest in DECEMBER!

Lip

So Lip tell me about Graffy's slump...when did this start?? I agree with the move. You need to give them rest. It's just fine. I am the first in line on the "FIRE JERRY" bandwagon, but lay off of him for one day.

JJAustin69
08-03-2003, 12:42 PM
On a semi-unrelated note, I see that the Dodgers are playing Ventura at 1B. That is quite a piece of tinkering.

Lip Man 1
08-03-2003, 01:05 PM
Quote: "Infielder Tony Graffinino was given more playing time after a recent hot streak at the plate only to fall into a 1- for 7 slide."

The Sporting News (page 31) with Kellen Winslow Jr. on the cover

Lip

TornLabrum
08-03-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Jurr
Please don't start showing a lack of ignorance to the game of baseball. The guys do need a day off every once in a while. It helps to recharge the batteries, so to speak.

Yeah, they haven't had a day off since MONDAY! We'd better rest them all before they collapse!

TornLabrum
08-03-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
On a semi-unrelated note, I see that the Dodgers are playing Ventura at 1B. That is quite a piece of tinkering.

Not really. Ventura was a back-up first baseman here for years.

kittle42
08-03-2003, 01:34 PM
Again, I hate JM as much as the next intelligent fan, but every manager pulls out the old Sunday Afternoon Lineup.

Let's take a quick look around the majors at who is getting rested today:

Darren Bragg is playing CF for the Braves over Andruw Jones.

Orlando Merced subbing for Richard Hidalgo.

Ben Petrick, Shane Halter and Craig Monroe for Eric Munson, Dmitri Young, and Carlos Pena.

Larry Bigbie for Melvin Mora.

Some guy named Reyes for Larry Walker.

OK...now I'm boring myself.

Lip Man 1
08-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Let's see....

You mentioned the Braves (10 1/2 game lead- NOT in a pennant race)

You mentioned the Tigers, Rockies, and Orioles all NOT in a pennant race...

and you mentioned the Astros, in a pennant race but tied for first place.

See my point?

Lip

valposoxfan
08-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Quote: "Infielder Tony Graffinino was given more playing time after a recent hot streak at the plate only to fall into a 1- for 7 slide."

The Sporting News (page 31) with Kellen Winslow Jr. on the cover

Lip
I'm going to say that 1-7 is hardly slumping yet, Lip. Thomas is slumping. Give Graffy the benefit of the doubt right now. You don't determine anything in seven at-bats...

kittle42
08-03-2003, 01:54 PM
There are a handful of teams who haven't started playing yet.

Cubs are sitting Alou and "Mark G."

D-Backs are sitting Hillenbrand.

RKMeibalane
08-03-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Not really. Ventura was a back-up first baseman here for years.

Mr. Vickery is correct. Ventura occasionally saw action at first base during his time with the Sox and also with the Mets.

RKMeibalane
08-03-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14
Jurr,
You are preaching to the choir, it doesn't matter what JM does, someone has a problem with him. Even though other managers give guys a day off, when JM does it, he doesn't know how to manage. I think Tony LaRussa is the king of playing everyone and it seems to work for him and his teams.

By the way,
Graffanino is hitting .354 in July with a .404 OBP, 3 HR and 8 RBI.

When Tony LaRussa makes a lineup change, he has a logical reason for making the move. More often than not, Manuel is making his moves randomly, without regard for numbers or tendencies exhibited by certain players. Case and point: the Frank Thomas situation. Everyone here knows that Frank hits better when he plays first. Yet Manuel has him at DH day after day. Now, Frank is struggling. Playing him at first would allow him to take his mind off 2,000 hits. I guarantee you LaRussa would be playing Thomas at first.

kittle42
08-03-2003, 02:11 PM
OK. Harris, Rowand, Graffanino AND Daubach? I take back my Sunday afternoon lineup comments. JM sucks.

voodoochile
08-03-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
OK. Harris, Rowand, Graffanino AND Daubach? I take back my Sunday afternoon lineup comments. JM sucks.

"It's my 4-for-1 special. Why rest one regular when you can rest a whole bunch of them?"

Anyone want to take the over on Seattle resting 4 regulars today? I'll take the under...

kittle42
08-03-2003, 02:18 PM
Is zero less than four? If so, the under wins!

Does hitting Randy Winn second count as tinkering?

voodoochile
08-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Is zero less than four? If so, the under wins!

Does hitting Randy Winn second count as tinkering?

Shocking...

"My work is done here. Time for a nap..."

valposoxfan
08-03-2003, 02:35 PM
Unbelievable...FOUR NON REGULARS!!! I'm about to have a brain hemorrage... :angry:

TornLabrum
08-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
Unbelievable...FOUR NON REGULARS!!! I'm about to have a brain hemorrage... :angry:

I dare any of you to call or email Julie Swieca in the next 24 hours and tell her Manuel is an idiot.

LuvSox
08-03-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Mr. Vickery is correct. Ventura occasionally saw action at first base during his time with the Sox and also with the Mets.

Inside-the-park-homer for Robin today.

SoxOnTop
08-03-2003, 05:26 PM

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Who rests 44% of their starting line-up in the same game???? I'm sure Buerhle felt good knowing that his manager didn't give 2 craps about winning a game he was starting.. :(: