PDA

View Full Version : Sox 5th starters

balboner
08-02-2003, 09:44 PM
The Sox are giving away way too many games by not have a competent 5th starter. Our record is BRUTAL in games pitched by anyone other than the big 4. KW has done nothing all year while these pitchers get rocked.

Lip Man 1
08-03-2003, 12:55 AM
What 5th starters?

Don't worry those folks who said we could rely on Wright, Garland and Rauch back in the spring will come up with an answer anyday now!

Maybe they'll come up with a new statistical theorum that PROVES it's actually Colon and Loazia who are killing the Sox!

Lip

TornLabrum
08-03-2003, 07:55 AM
Hey! What do you want? The Sox fifth starters have two wins this year.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-03-2003, 08:04 AM
Why am I scared Williams still has this guy's phone number?

:valet
"...'Hill's and Dale's Discount Arms'... this is Ken, may I help you?"

:ohno
"Last I heard of that guy's whereabouts, he was parking cars at New Comiskey."

:jaime
"Me, too!"

adsit
08-03-2003, 10:27 AM
While I agree that we can't afford to throw away any more games using a questionable fifth starter (having thrown away so many in the first four months), I still don't know exactly what we should do about it. But we have to do something.

I'd like to think we could move to a four-man rotation. While our big four could handle it, I'd rather not trust our crack managerial staffto keep a close eye on guys starting on short rest, or to use the bullpen wisely in such cases.

Putting Wright, Ginter, et al, into a pressure situation during a pennant race is not smart baseball. Fast-tracking Schoeneweis into a spot-start role is risky; anyone who might fall into the roster off waivers would be a high-stakes gamble.

Any dreams we're having about a Sox post-season this year depend on resolving this dilemma right now. We were humbled at Safeco last night, and that's bad foreshadowing.

dougs78
08-03-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by balboner
The Sox are giving away way too many games by not have a competent 5th starter. Our record is BRUTAL in games pitched by anyone other than the big 4. KW has done nothing all year while these pitchers get rocked.

I'll agree that our 5th starters have not done much to help us this season. However, its not as if other teams have 5th starters who are world beaters. Oakland has probably the best one in the league and as Lip is fond of pointing out, hes a "can't miss kid" in Rich Harden. Even the mighty yanks have Weaver who has been spotty at best this year. If I put a list of 5th starters up from AL teams, most of you would say "who?" to half the list. There just aren't that many good starters out there. We should be happy we have 4 who are really getting the job done for us.

Lip Man 1
08-03-2003, 01:27 PM
If you REALLY expect to win, you cover ALL your bases, ALL your weak spots.

The history of the Sox has always been "just coming up short" in an area that kills them either getting to the post season or in the post season. All you have to do is look at 1996 yet the Sox (and some fans) didn't learn the lesson.

You can't make Schowenweis a strater because he hasn't done it in over a year. By the time he goes to Charlotte to start pitching five or six innings it'll take three weeks to a month until he's ready. By then you're into September.

PLUS who takes his spot in the bullpen now that the Sox in their infinate wisdom canned Rick White? Mike Porzio?? (LOL)

The only possible solution is to get a guy off waivers. I don't know how good he'll be but pitchers WILL be out there because clubs out of the race aren't going to put in claims and other teams may not be willing to add salary.

I'd say the chances are good he can get someone.

I sincerely hope we don't pay the ultimate price for Williams not being able to pull off that deal for a right handed starter Thursday.

Lip

maurice
08-04-2003, 12:07 PM
Yeah, Garland sucks. The Sox rotation would be much better with Rick Helling or Paul Byrd in place of Garland.

I really expected KW to trade for a #5 starter around mid-season (instead of Carl Everret), but it looks like he waited too long to pull the trigger. Konerko for Ponson would have been perfect. With the questionable health status of Diaz, Rauch, and Stewart, I expect to see Neil Cotts promoted. He's been on fire lately.

Sox pitching has been great all season. If the bats heat back up, we should win the central by several games. If the Sox falter again, you can blame Sox management for failing to . . .

:firejerry

MisterB
08-04-2003, 12:18 PM
I think another pitcher can still be had. With the phenomenon of teams eating a traded player's contract just to get him off the roster, I can see a high priced pitcher clear waivers due to the size of his contract, and then be dealt with his former team picking up the tab. The questions are: 1) who is a decent yet overpriced starter and 2) will Kenny pull the trigger?

34 Inch Stick
08-04-2003, 01:19 PM
IIRC Lip was calling for adding Suppan during the off season. I've got to hand it to you Lip, that would look nice right now and for next season.

Anything added now is going to be crap. What about letting Ginter go, understanding that he will have to be pulled after four or five innings. That spot is not going to come up enough where sucha philosophy will overly tax the bullpen. You could always stick with Wright and give him a VERY short leash. Let him pitch and at the first sign of trouble he is gone.

maurice
08-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Suppan . . . would look nice right now and for next season. . . . What about letting Ginter go, understanding that he will have to be pulled after four or five innings. . . .

Suppan would make a very nice fifth starter this year. I don't know about next season, though. He's been inconsistent over his career and was 9-and-16 with a 5.32 ERA last season.

As for Ginter, he's just a marginal major league reliever. I doubt he could make it through the fourth inning. Cotts, OTOH, could be quite good, especially if he can keep his walk rate down. He's certainly no worse than Wright or Porzio.

Mammoo
08-08-2003, 01:49 AM
http://chicagosportsreview.com/poll/ :smile: