PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Day Thread - Saturday, 8-2 Vs. Seattle

voodoochile
08-02-2003, 09:30 PM
Use this thread for all game related comments. All others will be deleted. The chat room is open.

Go Sox!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/hawk/HAWK5WINS.JPG
"Mercy, I'm going to get shaved again at this rate..."

mack10zie
08-02-2003, 09:32 PM
Go SOX!!!! :)

A WGN game so one of the rare occasions that I get to see a game on TV, unfortunately it's on a Saturday night and I'm probably gonna be forced to go out at about the 4th or 5th inning, but 4 innings of watching the Sox is better than none.

HawkDJ
08-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Regular lineup:

2B Alomar
LF Lee
DH Thomas
RF Ordonez
CF Everett
1B Konerko
SS Valentin
3B Crede
C Alomar Jr.

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-02-2003, 10:02 PM
Hawk is wearing a hat! :(

koch44
08-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Bull****!!!

soxrme
08-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Frank needs to get 2000 tonight, he is pressing too much. Does anybody have the e-mail address of fsn I want to voice my displeasure about that coverage last night. Carlos was SAFE.

JJAustin69
08-02-2003, 10:23 PM
I finally get to watch a game. First thing I see is Carlos getting hosed on a call and having a meltdown.

doublem23
08-02-2003, 10:41 PM
Wright not looking too good.

2-0 M's

princek
08-02-2003, 10:41 PM
Danny Wright looking stellar as usual!!!

balboner
08-02-2003, 10:42 PM
I"ll be perfectly happy if Danny Wright never pitches again for the White Sox. He's horrible, doesnt have major league pitches, and seems to never give the Sox a good chance to win. Earth to KW, WE NEED A 5TH STARTER!

princek
08-02-2003, 10:57 PM
this is exactly why we need to go with a 4 man rotation. We cant afford to lose every 5 th game automatically with the schedule that we have in front of us.

doublem23
08-02-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by princek
this is exactly why we need to go with a 4 man rotation. We cant afford to lose every 5 th game automatically with the schedule that we have in front of us.

Can't afford to have one of the "Big 4" go down with injury, either though. 'Tis quite the quandry on our hands.

balboner
08-02-2003, 11:10 PM
Frank has definitely taken over Konerko's role from earlier this year as the rally killer. Frank needs to be benched tomorrow so he can straighten out his swing. He's now 1 for last 19, and not hitting the ball hard at all.

doublem23
08-02-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by balboner
Frank has definitely taken over Konerko's role from earlier this year as the rally killer. Frank needs to be benched tomorrow so he can straighten out his swing. He's now 1 for last 19, and not hitting the ball hard at all.

He needs to go to first base.

:jerry
Tinker with my lineup? NEVER!

A.T. Money
08-02-2003, 11:35 PM
Is there a problem with the chat?

doublem23
08-02-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon

I think so. There's also a problem with Dan Wright.

WhiteSox = Life
08-02-2003, 11:40 PM

I don't know, but I was having problems getting in after being dropped about 10 minutes ago.

In fact, I still am, and it's saying, "Error Connecting. Please Try Again."

I know one thing: The problem(s), if there is any, sure wasn't caused by an overload of people.

WhiteSox = Life
08-02-2003, 11:42 PM
3-run homer by Olerud.

That's game.

JJAustin69
I am watching this slowly unravel and I am thinking, why waste anybody in the bullpen. Make him pitch 8 innings. Oops, so much for that idea.

doublem23
Homer for Olerud... Seattle 6, Sox 0.

Damn! I am a TBGR jinx. :(:

princek
6-0 Seattle

Achhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

here we come back to 2nd place

Viva Magglio
08-02-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
I am watching this slowly unravel and I am thinking, why waste anybody in the bullpen. Make him pitch 8 innings.

Nope. JM yanks him. Now, if only KW would release Wright tonight.

A.T. Money
08-02-2003, 11:44 PM
Have a nice flight back to Charlotte, Mr. "I can't pitch in the Majors" Wright.

It's an automatic loss any time he pitches. You just know it.

WhiteSox = Life
08-02-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Homer for Olerud... Seattle 6, Sox 0.

Damn! I am a TBGR jinx. :(:

You need to look up your overall record, d23. It'd be interesting to see what it is.

JJAustin69
08-02-2003, 11:45 PM
Ok, I am not prepared to claim those Sox fans dancing to the YMCA.

JJAustin69
08-02-2003, 11:47 PM
I am prepared to claim that guy that just caught that foul ball though. Way to stick up for the team.

Viva Magglio
Someone tell Hawk & DJ to stop making excuses for Danny Wright. He is not going to be great. Danny Wright is an automatic loss, and the Sox should outright release him.

WhiteSox = Life
Have a nice flight back to Charlotte, Mr. "I can't pitch in the Majors" Wright.

It's an automatic loss any time he pitches. You just know it.

For five innings, Wright actually pitched okay, and gave up only 3 runs, 1 unearned. However, the 6th inning was his big inning today.

On TV: A Sox fan caught a foul ball and stood up with his jersey on and held it out to the crowd, ball in hand, smiling heartily.

JJAustin69
08-02-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Someone tell Hawk & DJ to stop making excuses for Danny Wright. He is not going to be great. Danny Wright is an automatic loss, and the Sox should outright release him. I was thinking the same thing. Hawk: "He is going to be alright." Maybe as a car salesman but not as a MLB starting pitcher.

A.T. Money
08-02-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
For five innings, Wright actually pitched okay, and gave up only 3 runs, 1 unearned. However, the 6th inning was his big inning today.

On TV: A Sox fan caught a foul ball and stood up with his jersey on and held it out to the crowd, ball in hand, smiling heartily.

Big deal, so he pitched ok for 4 innings. He got lit up in 2 of them. That's enough in my book. He always has an inning that puts a nails in the coffen, and I'm sick of it.

doublem23
08-02-2003, 11:50 PM
You need to look up your overall record, d23. It'd be interesting to see what it is.

According to the ones I still have saved on my computer, I think I'm 6-7 on the year. Still, why does it seem like I keep getting heartbreaking losses (see last Saturday's 8-game streak snapping loss).

JJAustin69
08-02-2003, 11:51 PM
I guess Frank is waiting to get back to Chicago for #2000.

WhiteSox = Life
08-02-2003, 11:56 PM
Big deal, so he pitched ok for 4 innings. He got lit up in 2 of them. That's enough in my book. He always has an inning that puts a nails in the coffen, and I'm sick of it.

I agree. Wright pitched very poorly. He did all right for a few innings, and through 5, only gave up 3 runs. Surely, it could be better.

The real big deal is the total absence of any White Sox offense against Franklin. He's laid cookies in, been all around the plate, and has been very inconsistent (along with getting a few nice umpirical calls in his favor), yet the Sox have managed only 3 hits off him. That, in my eyes, is even more unacceptable than Danny "I'm So Wrong I'm" Wright and his poor performance.

Franklin hasn't pitched a whole lot better than Wright did, yet he's totally baffling the Sox hitters and that is just intolerable.

koch44
08-03-2003, 12:03 AM
The real big deal is the total absence of any White Sox offense against Franklin. He's laid cookies in, been all around the plate, and has been very inconsistent (along with getting a few nice umpirical calls in his favor), yet the Sox have managed only 3 hits off him. That, in my eyes, is even more unacceptable than Danny "I'm So Wrong I'm" Wright and his poor performance.

corpseball

ShoelessFred
08-03-2003, 12:07 AM
WE NEED A 5TH STARTER. WE CANNOT GO INTO EVERY 5TH GAME WITH NO CHANCE TO WIN. KENNY WILLIAMS NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS. AND IF THIS TEAM CANNOT GET A RUN OFF OF RYAN FRANKLIN THEN THEY DESERVE TO LOSE.

A.T. Money
Franklin has pitched an absolute gem.

And as I typed this, Olerud hit a slam. I could never stand Olerud, the NERD.

doublem23
10-0... Olerud with the slam.

WhiteSox = Life
A three-run homer backed up by a grand slam. What a game by Olerud.

JJAustin69
08-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Well, nothing like 7 RBI in two at bats for Olerud. We need to win this series tomorrow.

Scotty347
08-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Grand slam Olerud, 10-0 Seattle.

That should do it.

Hope for 2 out of 3 with a win tomorrow.

5-1 on this road trip wouldn't be so bad.

Looks like the series with KC will be a battle for first.

WhiteSox = Life
08-03-2003, 12:11 AM
Franklin has pitched an absolute gem.

And as I typed this, Olerud hit a slam. I could never stand Olerud, the NERD.

Franklin didn't pitch a gem; the Sox have made it look like he did. Franklin has been effectively wild, but the Sox were unable to do anything with the repeated balls he left over the plate and the counts they had in their favor.

JJAustin69
08-03-2003, 12:13 AM
The Sox need to hit these 5th starter types consistently too. There is no reason they should be getting shut out tonight.

ilsox7
08-03-2003, 12:14 AM
Franklin pitched well. He is actually a pretty decent pitcher. He gives up a lot of home runs, but has a very good ERA. This game didn't surprise me. Danny Wright ain't the answer and you knew the offense would have to take a night off some time. I'd rather see us have no offense when our #5 guy goes, b/c chances are we lose that game anyways. Hopefully we bring the bats tomorrow.

Saracen
08-03-2003, 12:16 AM
No kidding. Franklin has a better era than any of our starters except Esteban. Why is anyone surprised we're not hitting him?

kevingrt
08-03-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
The Sox need to hit these 5th starter types consistently too. There is no reason they should be getting shut out tonight.

Well, if they make the playoffs they will be playing 1's and 2's all day and be putting out there 1's & 2's too... but we have to make the postseason 1st!

JJAustin69
08-03-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Saracen
No kidding. Franklin has a better era than any of our starters except Esteban. Why is anyone surprised we're not hitting him? Well he gives up the longball (most of any starter!) and that is what we are best at lately, so you would hope for more than a goose egg.

WhiteSox = Life
08-03-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by ilsox7
Franklin pitched well. He is actually a pretty decent pitcher. He gives up a lot of home runs, but has a very good ERA. This game didn't surprise me. Danny Wright ain't the answer and you knew the offense would have to take a night off some time. I'd rather see us have no offense when our #5 guy goes, b/c chances are we lose that game anyways. Hopefully we bring the bats tomorrow.

Originally posted by Saracen
No kidding. Franklin has a better era than any of our starters except Esteban. Why is anyone surprised we're not hitting him?

Franklin pitched well, but he also made a lot of mistakes. The Sox couldn't pull the trigger on the pitches he left to be smacked and they swung at the good pitcher pitches.

And, this loss isn't particularly killing, since it wouldn't been tough to win anyway with Wright's performance and the Sox' inability to take advantage of Franklin, who was effectively wild.

Let's just take care of business tomorrow.

flo-B-flo
08-03-2003, 12:56 AM
These guys are a better team than the royals or the twinkies, and this is the answer to last night. What bugs me was the SOX inability to start ANYTHING even though they were up big by the 6th. The world series type team doesn't pack it in even though they are down 6 or even 10 to 0. Nevertheless go get em tomorrow. GO GO SOX!!!

manuelsucks
08-03-2003, 01:04 AM
I hope that the Sox can bounce back from this loss. The true test of a good team is their ability to come back from a hard loss like this one. I was just really upset with their lack of run production in this game. True there was some good pitching, but they couldn't do ANYTHING, which is pretty disappointing for a team who has been swinging the bats like crazy.

inta
08-03-2003, 01:04 AM
so the sox lost badly tonight,
i dont care, we had our 5th guy straight up from the minors in this game, and we've been on a run scoring tear, we were due for a slow night, and personally i'd rather have seen it tonight than next week against the royals.

to quote the more conservative bunch around here... "it's only one game, lets concentrate on tomorrow"

i mean did anyone honestly think we'd sweep the M's?

inta
08-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by manuelsucks
I hope that the Sox can bounce back from this loss. The true test of a good team is their ability to come back from a hard loss like this one. I was just really upset with their lack of run production in this game. True there was some good pitching, but they couldn't do ANYTHING, which is pretty disappointing for a team who has been swinging the bats like crazy.

as an optimist after these past 2 weeks, i'd say yes we can.
if we can come back after losses to tampa and detroit, we can come back after a loss to the M's. we CAN handle the M's... as proven yesterday. we just need to keep that confidence.

i'm not even worried about capturing the central title... that's just a given now to me, KC had a hard time just rackling in the rays, minnesota got raped by the tigers... the division is ours, what i'm more worried about is how we play against the better teams in the playoffs. we showed we can do it yesterday, we also showed we can choke tonight. hopefully the prior team shows up tomorrow for the finale of this series before we take 2/3 from the royalists.

Lip Man 1
08-03-2003, 01:42 AM
The REAL questions for tomorrow:

Does the Sox offense now go right back in the tank? (like after the Cubs / Twins series)

Does Manager Gandhi start "tinkering" again? (in direct opposition to his comments to Teddy Greenstein)

all I can say is that the 5th starter spot is slated to go at least twice more in August and if the Sox don't go to a four man rotation a few more times in September.

I'm still waiting for all those folks who were ripping us back in the spring for "daring" to say the Sox needed more pitching help at the expense of Wright, Garland and Rauch to let us know how to solve this current situation.

Feel free to jump in at anytime.

"You can NEVER have enough pitching."--Pale Hose George

Lip

siugrad25
08-03-2003, 10:37 AM
Will the Sox play a 'real' lineup today or will we see a Sunday lineup in for today's crucial rubbermatch??? I know JM said if the Sox won last night he wanted to get everybody a rest, but you never know what madness is in store for us today.

Also if the Sox keep throwing out this 5th starter (no matter who he is) we can count on losing the majority of them. It doesn't seem like this team responds well to 5th starters on the bump...

Trust me, a 5-1 road trip would be unbelievable, but a 4-2 trip with Kansas City taking the series vs. the Rays would force the Sox to take 2 out of 3 from KC just to be tied again... THEY NEED TO WIN TODAY... PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!!