PDA

View Full Version : NEWS FLASH: The Tinkering is Officially Over!

FJA
08-02-2003, 12:26 AM
Per ChicagoSports.com

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030801insidesox,1,1239753.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

I know it's been self-evident, but it's great to see it in print.

WhiteSox = Life
08-02-2003, 04:16 AM
"That's the thinking behind that madness."

That's what it is, all right.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-02-2003, 05:02 AM
Wow. This is the most insightful article I've ever read delving into the insanity of Manuel's brain. This is some choice stuff from Greenstein. Here are some of my favorite quotes.

"In the first half, I try to make sure everybody plays," Manuel said. "When you're not winning, you can justify making [lineup] decisions based on matchups. But when you're winning and everything's clicking, you leave it alone.

LOL! We've been joking around here for 3 seasons now about how Manuel is a little league manager. Now Manuel confirms it--but only for the first-half of the season.

Is he nuts? He admits he would rather tinker than win--but only for the first-half of the season. Winning becomes more important than tinkering after the first-half ends.

"That's the thinking behind that madness."

Actually Jerry, that's the INSANITY behind that madness. Those 87 line ups you used were more important to you than building a winning streak--and you admit it. It's not like MLB scheduled the Sox with an extra three months of spring training games for you to figure out exactly who needs to play and which lineup to use. Does Jerry think MLB will give the Sox an asterisk next to their W-L record with the notation "Jerry was tinkering"? Those games counted! AGGGGHHH!

Here's another priceless bit of insanity...
"Konerko is on fire right now," he said. "He has helped carry us. The lineup doesn't have to be shaken up just because I didn't get a hit the last few nights. I don't think any hitter in this league can swing the bat well every day."

Un-****ing-believable. Frank Thomas WAS on fire, too--back in June--not coincidentally when this team FINALLY got the shoe out of its ass and started playing ball. It was Frank Thomas's stick that got this team out of the ditch and pointed north of .500 again. Now he is in a 1-14 slump, but Manuel ISN'T too concerned to do anything about it. Manuel thinks it's Konerko and his .228 BA that has "carried us."

LMAO! Whoops, I forgot--Manuel was still tinkering back in June. Those games don't count. Oh, wait a minute...

Asked by Teddy whether he'll act on the obvious and put Frank back at first base...
"Unless there's an emergency of some sort, I probably won't use Frank there."
There you have it. We've all known it since mid-April. Frank Thomas plays DH solely because Manuel can't fathom the value of the offensive production of his second-best hitter. Manuel is such a COWARD, he has even invented excuses (like Frank's mystery leg muscle pull) to justify a managerial move that is hurting the ballclub. Frank's superior offense at 1B vs. DH is a manifest fact to all observers--but Manuel just doesn't give a ****.

The man is a cancer. If this ballclub goes anywhere, it will be strictly because they overcame some of the most twisted and incredible INSANITY masquerading as "logic" ever employed by a major league manager.

I don't believe for one minute that Manuel stopped tinkering for any reason except one: He was TOLD to quit and his job was threatened if he didn't.

RKMeibalane
08-02-2003, 08:23 AM
"Unless there's an emergency of some sort, I probably won't use Frank there."

It's things like this that convince me that Frank will leave after the season, regardless of how the Sox finish. Now that he knows he is more effective when playing first, he will probably consider going to Los Angeles or Atlanta. Both teams have been covetting him for the past few years, and it seems reasonable that he would be interested in playing for either team. Frank has lived in Los Angeles during the last several winters, and the Braves were his favorite team as a child.

:hurt -----------------------------------------------> http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/50x50/atl.gif or http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/50x50/la.gif

Paulwny
08-02-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
It's things like this that convince me that Frank will leave after the season, regardless of how the Sox finish. Now that he knows he is more effective when playing first, he will probably consider going to Los Angeles or Atlanta. Both teams have been covetting him for the past few years, and it seems reasonable that he would be interested in playing for either team. Frank has lived in Los Angeles during the last several winters, and the Braves were his favorite team as a child.

From the Sun Times:

SEATTLE--Nothing like a winning stretch to realize there is no place like home. Frank Thomas indicated before Friday's game against the Mariners that he is more interested in exercising his contract with the White Sox next season instead of opting for free agency
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug02.html

Paulwny
08-02-2003, 09:18 AM
WHY EVERYONE ????????????

Last sentence from the Sun Times article:

''What would be ideal for us, if we could somehow win the first two [in Seattle] and give everybody a break Sunday,'' Manuel said.

seventytwo
08-02-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny

''What would be ideal for us, if we could somehow win the first two [in Seattle] and give everybody a break Sunday,'' Manuel said.

Great, the return of the "getaway day lineup" which was so effective in costing us sweeps during the 2000 season.

harwar
08-02-2003, 09:56 AM
Although i'm as happy as sailor in port after a long voyage right now because of how the Sox are playing,way back in my mind something is bothering me,someone is screaming"don't get too excited" because even if we are the best team we still have to overcome the fact that we have a manager that,after years of on the job training,still has no idea what to do in most situations and will probably bring us down when we face a team in a short series that has a great baseball mind.

gosox41
08-02-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny

I was waiting for someone to bring this up. JM is a moron. Didn't he say in June that Frank was going to play 1B for a while. And this tinkering is not going to stop. We're in a pennant race playing another first place team. Don't rest everyone now!!!

Bob

RKMeibalane
08-02-2003, 11:35 AM
I really, really, really, really don't like Jerry Manuel.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
There you have it. We've all known it since mid-April. Frank Thomas plays DH solely because Manuel can't fathom the value of the offensive production of his second-best hitter. Manuel is such a COWARD, he has even invented excuses (like Frank's mystery leg muscle pull) to justify a managerial move that is hurting the ballclub. Frank's superior offense at 1B vs. DH is a manifest fact to all observers--but Manuel just doesn't give a ****.George, this was one of the best posts in a while. Hell, this is why we put up with you around here. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-02-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
George, this was one of the best posts in a while. Hell, this is why we put up with you around here. :D:

Remember that CEO who ran RJR Nabisco back in the 80's, Ross Johnson? He described his management style as "**** stirring." Any similarities? :D:

But seriously folks... I never thought Manuel would talk on the record proving so many things we've been suspicious about around here for years. I think I'm going to save that article. :cool:

JJAustin69
08-02-2003, 02:29 PM
I am unconvinced. I think that we haven't seen the last of the Tinkerer.