PDA

View Full Version : Two men attack police officers in shadow of Wrigley Field...

doublem23
08-01-2003, 08:25 PM
Dave Wills mentioned this on the ESPN-1000 pregrame show just now... Anyways, here is the story from the Chicago Tribune (which was buried on Page 3 of the Metro Section) (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-030801brawl,1,1144990.story?coll=chi-newslocal-hed)...

For those of you who don't subscribe to the Tribune, here is the jist of it...

courtesy of Chicago Tribune; by Jeff Coen
Prosecutors said Filips, of the 1200 block of Richfield Court, Woodridge, became combative when officers approached him as he was smoking on the platform Wednesday evening and told him to put out his cigarette. Robertson, of the 2300 block of Green Valley Road, Darien, then allegedly jumped into the fray.

Assistant Cook County State's Atty. Erin Antonietti told the judge Robertson hit one officer in the face from behind, breaking his nose and an orbital bone. The officer's injuries were so extensive, he will require facial surgery, prosecutors said.

Wills posed the question; had this incident happened at the Sox/35th station on the Red Line the same day of a Sox game, think it may have gotten a little more exposure?

:o:

But of course, Wrigleyville is much safer.

gosox41
08-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
[B]Dave Wills mentioned this on the ESPN-1000 pregrame show just now... Anyways, here is the story from the Chicago Tribune (which was buried on Page 3 of the Metro Section) (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-030801brawl,1,1144990.story?coll=chi-newslocal-hed)...

For those of you who don't subscribe to the Tribune, here is the jist of it...

Wills posed the question; had this incident happened at the Sox/35th station on the Red Line the same day of a Sox game, think it may have gotten a little more exposure?

It would have gotten a ton more attention. Speaking of media, and maybe I'm paranoid, but did anyone catch the last thing on the Cub notes in the Cubune.

They mentioned how a fan was arrested for runninig on the field during a rain delay. Thay also made a point of mentioning he was from California (so he may not be a Cub fan.) Then they punishments were going to change for these people because of all the incidents at the Cell. I don't have a newspaper near me, but it seems like it's a small thing where they had a chance to bash the Sox and did.

Then again, just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

Bob

dickallen15
08-02-2003, 12:21 PM
A guy took the field during the rain delay at the Urinal. If it happened at the Cell, it would be the lead story on BBTN

RKMeibalane
08-02-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
A guy took the field during the rain delay at the Urinal. If it happened at the Cell, it would be the lead story on BBTN

Agreed. The media is always talking about how we as a society need to move beyond stereotypes and generalizations, yet they are the ones who do the most to contribute to the continued presence of stereotypes in today's society.

This siutation involving crime and incidents at baseball stadiums is a perfect example. The Chicago media has always said that the area around the 'Cell isn't safe (the area has improved a lot), and so, they do everything they can to make people believe that this is true when they show footage of fans running on the fied.

The media has also said that the area around Wrigley is nice and free of crime (even though we know it's not), so they do their best to downplay incidents like this. It's crap. The sad part is that other people believe the bull**** they hear. Even people who live in Chicago believe the lies, in spite of the fact that they should know better.

duke of dorwood
08-02-2003, 01:53 PM
The area north of the urinal has more crime than anything South of the Cell-I was a repo guy for years in that area, its awful

DrCrawdad
08-02-2003, 02:37 PM
I saw the channel 7 news report. When they said where it was they never mentioned that it was so close to Wrigley. During the report I said to my wife, I think that is right by Wrigley Field. Then I noticed on a Cubs emblem on a garbage (how appropriate).

The perception of many people and the media is Southside = bad neighborhood (and wink, wink that means black). That’s the way it is to many people.

Remember Leonard Clark getting attacked in Armour Park? That took place in the off-season, but you’d have thought it took place inside Comiskey.

I can tell you when I bring people to Sox games I make a point of entering the neighborhood from Chinatown down Canal. People are always shocked to see the nice homes.

On the Friday game vs. the D-Rays, I brought a groupl of buddies. We parked north of Comiskey and enjoyed an adult beverage at Punchinello's on 31st and Wells. Then walked over to the game. My one friend couldn't believe how nice the neighborhood was.

doublem23
08-02-2003, 05:23 PM
Agreed. A friend of mine went to a game at U.S. Cellular Field (He's a North Sider, too) but before, we had to pick up a friend of mine in Burbank and we decided to just take Archer Ave. and 35th St. to the park. Needless to say, he was horrified, but was amazed at the nice places around the park.

TornLabrum
08-02-2003, 10:56 PM
Agreed. A friend of mine went to a game at U.S. Cellular Field (He's a North Sider, too) but before, we had to pick up a friend of mine in Burbank and we decided to just take Archer Ave. and 35th St. to the park. Needless to say, he was horrified, but was amazed at the nice places around the park.

Okay, I'll bite. Exactly what was he horrified by? I use that as my alternate when I drive back to Joliet when traffic on the Stevenson is bad.

doublem23
08-02-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Okay, I'll bite. Exactly what was he horrified by? I use that as my alternate when I drive back to Joliet when traffic on the Stevenson is bad.

Oh, he was horrified of the idea of taking the "streets" through the "ghetto." He admitted he thought that most of the areas we'd be through weren't as bad as he expected and also many of them were very nice.

TornLabrum
08-02-2003, 11:34 PM
Oh, he was horrified of the idea of taking the "streets" through the "ghetto." He admitted he thought that most of the areas we'd be through weren't as bad as he expected and also many of them were very nice.

Was he surprised to find white people in Bridgeport?

doublem23
08-02-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Was he surprised to find white people in Bridgeport?

No, he knew Bridgeport was mainly white, he kind of thought it was mostly "white trash."

TornLabrum
08-03-2003, 01:48 AM
No, he knew Bridgeport was mainly white, he kind of thought it was mostly "white trash."

You can really blow his mind. Bring him to the Windy City Sox Fans luncheon Friday at 11:30 at the Eagle Banquet Room next to the Polo Cafe (between 33rd and 34th on Morgan). Classy place and he'd be surrounded by Sox fans. He might be surprised at how much baseball we know and how we interact with the players. (Wish I could tell you what Sox player will be there, but we won't know until they get back in town.)

Didn't mean to turn this into a blatant plug, but he might be surprised that there are actually nice places to eat on the South Side.