PDA

View Full Version : The "Impressions from Seattle" Thread

pudge
08-01-2003, 06:07 PM
I know we got a lot of WSI'ers going to the Safeco games this weekend, so post any live impressions here...

For starters, this town is irate over the Mariners not making a deal. I have not heard Seattle fans this upset in my 10+ years of living in this area. Also, on the bump tonight for the M's is Freddie Garcia, who has been taking a beating on the mound and in the media. They think this guy has lost all confidence and desire. Does that bode well for us? We shall see... 3-10 in Seattle since the play-off loss in 2000 certainly does not bode well...

A.T. Money
08-01-2003, 07:22 PM
The Mariners are frustrated, but they are still a great team. I wouldn't mind having their record right now. Sure, Oakland is breathing down their necks, but Seattle is still better than Oakland in my opinion.

pudge
08-02-2003, 01:06 AM
Random Observations from the first game:

1) Harold Baines is awesome. He's at the top of the dugout the entire game, soaking it all in. (The only one to remain in that position, by the way.) He was paying extra-close attention to Frank's at-bats, which makes sense considering Frank is the one guy struggling right now. Kudos to Harold, this guy is an asset to have around.

2) The ball that Olivo lost in the twilight vanished into thin air. I was sitting near field level and I had no idea where that ball was.

3) Colon was popping his pitches in warm-ups, while Garcia looked weak. That translated when the game started.

4) I just don't know what to make of Seattle fans, they are so opposite of what I'm used to. A huge section cheered Garcia as he left the game. You would never see that in any city east of California. Then the crowd went nuts when the Mariners finally scored in the 8th. I doubt that would happen in many other places either.

5) We rule.

6) Today's romp doesn't mean much if we don't win the series. Tomorrow should be interesting.

chuckn98229
08-02-2003, 01:27 AM
Seattle announcers pretty positive about the White Sox - even mentioned that the Sox took the inter-league series with the flubbies and how important that was in Chicago. Hope the Sox can continue their dominating performance of late. Going to the game on Sunday. The crowd at Safeco is DEFINITELY NOT like the fans at the park formerly known as Comiskey. Really laid back and they even clap in unison! They certainly like their Marinaters, but nowhere near as passionate as Sox fans.

ihatethecubs
08-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by chuckn98229
Seattle announcers pretty positive about the White Sox - even mentioned that the Sox took the inter-league series with the flubbies and how important that was in Chicago. Hope the Sox can continue their dominating performance of late. Going to the game on Sunday. The crowd at Safeco is DEFINITELY NOT like the fans at the park formerly known as Comiskey. Really laid back and they even clap in unison! They certainly like their Marinaters, but nowhere near as passionate as Sox fans.

mariners fans annoy the hell out of me. i dont really need to go into detail, most of you know all the reasons they are so annoying,