PDA

View Full Version : Sox Fever Sweeping the Nation?


DC Sox Fan
08-01-2003, 02:54 PM
OK, so out here in DC needless to say I am in the minority being a Sox fan. Interestingly enough, this past week as I've rode the subway to/from work, I've noticed at least 2 or 3 people decked out in Sox gear each day riding the train.

I'm wondering if it's just tourists in from Chi Town or if Sox Mania is sweeping the country :cool:

Either way, it's pretty damn cool!

SoxFanDan
08-01-2003, 02:57 PM
I definitely believe that the White Sox retro gear is the most popular team out there.

delben91
08-01-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by DC Sox Fan
OK, so out here in DC needless to say I am in the minority being a Sox fan. Interestingly enough, this past week as I've rode the subway to/from work, I've noticed at least 2 or 3 people decked out in Sox gear each day riding the train.

I'm wondering if it's just tourists in from Chi Town or if Sox Mania is sweeping the country :cool:

Either way, it's pretty damn cool!

Yeah, it makes you wonder. I know several people that I've met that just wear Sox gear because they like the "look." I can't disagree with them. Does make it harder to pick out the true fans though.

I'm going to the Orioles game tonight and was going to wear my gray visiting Sox jersey, but my girlfriend vetoed it, saying that the Sox weren't involved in the game, and it just didn't make sense. If she hadn't gotten the tickets (albeit for free) I'd have an argument...damn.

Either way, Go Sox!

Hokiesox
08-01-2003, 03:11 PM
I wrote this team off two weeks ago vowing to pay attention again next year. I doffed my sox cap for my Hokies gear (football season only 29 days away) and they go on a winning streak like this! I'm not going back, don't want to jinx the team, but if you see a Hokie riding the Metro, ask him if he's a sox fan!

DC Sox Fan
08-01-2003, 03:49 PM
Man, look at the DC area Sox fans representing :cool:

Anyway the gear I've sene on Metro, and it's not the retro stuff. I tend to think it's Chicago Tourists, but I always make a point of complementing them on their gear!

hokiesox, I'm headed down to VT on Sept. 6 to see your Hokies beat the snot out of my beloved JMU Dukes.

Hokiesox
08-01-2003, 03:54 PM
and we'll be happy to oblige for your Dukes. thanks for filling out our 1AA bowl win! Unfortunately, I am not making the trip that weekend, I will be attending the aTm game a few weeks later.

pudge
08-01-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by delben91
Yeah, it makes you wonder. I know several people that I've met that just wear Sox gear because they like the "look." I can't disagree with them. Does make it harder to pick out the true fans though.

I'm going to the Orioles game tonight and was going to wear my gray visiting Sox jersey, but my girlfriend vetoed it, saying that the Sox weren't involved in the game, and it just didn't make sense. If she hadn't gotten the tickets (albeit for free) I'd have an argument...damn.

Either way, Go Sox!

Be a man. Wear your Sox uniform.

voodoochile
08-01-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Be a man. Wear your Sox uniform.

Sleep on the couch... :D:

My guess is she got them from a business acquaintence and wants him to dress to impress...

delben91
08-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Sleep on the couch... :D:

My guess is she got them from a business acquaintence and wants him to dress to impress...

Similar situation, got them from a "scholars" group on campus, so the "impress" is part of it, in regards to the higher-ups that may be present. She's also a red sox fan, and through some arm twisting she convinced me not to wear the jersey. However, I might just happen to grab a White Sox shirt and cap....a pure accident of course :cool:

thecell
08-01-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by delben91
Similar situation, got them from a "scholars" group on campus, so the "impress" is part of it, in regards to the higher-ups that may be present. She's also a red sox fan, and through some arm twisting she convinced me not to wear the jersey. However, I might just happen to grab a White Sox shirt and cap....a pure accident of course :cool:

attaboy!

voodoochile
08-01-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by delben91
Similar situation, got them from a "scholars" group on campus, so the "impress" is part of it, in regards to the higher-ups that may be present. She's also a red sox fan, and through some arm twisting she convinced me not to wear the jersey. However, I might just happen to grab a White Sox shirt and cap....a pure accident of course :cool:

Take along an extra $20 and walk by a booth then see if you can buy her a Sox hat and she has to wear it at the game...

sleep on the couch... :)

delben91
08-01-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Take along an extra $20 and walk by a booth then see if you can buy her a Sox hat and she has to wear it at the game...

sleep on the couch... :)

I like the way you think voodoo! And the couch is pretty comfortable actually....

I'm off to the game, I'll update you all (since I'm sure you're dying to know how it all ends) on monday.

GO SOX!

Hokiesox
08-01-2003, 04:50 PM
There's a lady right in front of the Convention center who sells authentic jersey's for 25 bucks. That's where I got my jersey 2 years ago (before I watched Jeff Leifer put one on Eutaw street...go find the ball in the sidewalk for me! I check it out everytime I go back. It's almost right behind the right field foul pole. Should be June or July 2001, I don't remember...

thepaulbowski
08-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by SoxFanDan
I definitely believe that the White Sox retro gear is the most popular team out there.

sat next to a guy at the blackjack table at the MGM in Vegas with the home 1983 jersey on. Asked him if he was sox fan and he said not really, just liked the shirt.

On a side note, i up quite a bit while he sat next to me, but as soon as he left I lost it all.

:gulp:

delben91
08-04-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by delben91
I like the way you think voodoo! And the couch is pretty comfortable actually....

I'm off to the game, I'll update you all (since I'm sure you're dying to know how it all ends) on monday.

GO SOX!

So I promised an update, here it is.

Went with a Sox shirt I'd just gotten recently, and escaped comment. Also managed to point out a guy wearing an Jndjans jersey a few rows away to prove my point that a Sox jersey is always appropriate if someone can get away with wearing Cleveland's colors at an Orioles-Red Sox game.

It was a really good game, Orioles ended up winning 2-1, and Pat Hentgen pitched a real gem of a game. 8IP, 4 Hits I believe, and only 1 ER. Didn't know the guy still had it in him.

Only down moment of the night was that there were some people running around wearing "The Wave Brigade" shirts, trying to start the wave in our section in the upper deck. It would make it through two or three sections and then die out (thankfully), but these kids weren't deterred, they kept trying...for 3 innings!

If only I'd had a blunt object. At any rate, a great time at Camden Yards, I always love watching baseball there.

Hangar18
08-04-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by SoxFanDan
I definitely believe that the White Sox retro gear is the most popular team out there.

I was at a bar last nite...and a saw a guy wearing the retro 83 hat at Phyllis' in Wicker Park. I had a feeling he might not be a
fan, but he said he bought it because it looked cool over the winter....but only recently was curious about the actual team whose hat he was wearing and said hes been taking an INTEREST in the team lately and went to a game last month.
I told him welcome aboard. He said he liked The Cell and
fact the sox are the "UNDERGROUND TEAM" in chicago. awesome

MarqSox
08-04-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
He said he liked The Cell and fact the sox are the "UNDERGROUND TEAM" in chicago. awesome

That's actually an interesting take ... perhaps something the marketing boys should look into. That is, somehow spinning the Sox as the hip thing to do because "being a Cubs fan is so cliche" or something.

Not sure how to do that ... to market it would be oxymoronic. Any ideas?