PDA

View Full Version : From Rosenbloom today...

ozzman
08-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Sounds like the Sox lost out to Boston on Pirates starter Jeff Suppan, if you read into Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino's comment to the Boston Globe on Tuesday: "The problem is that whatever rock we look under, the White Sox and Yankees seem to be looking too."

RKMeibalane
08-01-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by ozzman
Sounds like the Sox lost out to Boston on Pirates starter Jeff Suppan, if you read into Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino's comment to the Boston Globe on Tuesday: "The problem is that whatever rock we look under, the White Sox and Yankees seem to be looking too."

Even though the Sox weren't able to land Suppan, this is still an encouraging sing. It's good that the Sox are trying to compete with New York and Boston for players, because those are two of the teams they need to be able to deal with, both in the front office and on the field, if they want to reach the World Series.

pudge
08-01-2003, 02:30 PM
What *kills* me is that we really should have signed Suppan in Spring Traning. JR and his stubborn budget cost us on that one. And now I just laugh at all those heated debates we were having on WSI about whether we should have gotten Suppan. I recall some people even thought Rauch would be our third-best pitcher by the end of the year. Holy cow. Kiddies, listen to your elders.

Randar68
08-01-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by pudge
What *kills* me is that we really should have signed Suppan in Spring Traning. JR and his stubborn budget cost us on that one. And now I just laugh at all those heated debates we were having on WSI about whether we should have gotten Suppan. I recall some people even thought Rauch would be our third-best pitcher by the end of the year. Holy cow. Kiddies, listen to your elders.

If he hadn't still been hurt and feeling the effects of his previous injury, Rauch might have been (nobody expected Loaiza to do anything like this, and Garland isn't exactly Cy Young out there).

I am starting to be very concerned he'll never return to form.

Gumshoe
08-01-2003, 03:40 PM
Well, sheesh, let's move him for some talent!

Do you guys think they'll actually sign Roberto again next year?

Gumshoe

gosox41
08-01-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
Well, sheesh, let's move him for some talent!

Do you guys think they'll actually sign Roberto again next year?

Gumshoe

If the team actually makes the playoffs I think they will. If they don't look for the Sox to get a boatload of draft picks.

Bob

gosox41
08-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by pudge

Jeff Suppans #'s

K/BB K/9 OPSA WHIP
1999 1.66 4.44 .761 1.36
2000 1.52 5.31 .839 1.49
2001 1.62 4.95 .755 1.38
2002 1.60 4.72 .792 1.43
2003 2.52 4.98 .715 1.26

Baed on these numbers, I don't know how anyone could have predicted Suppan's 2003 season. His K/BB ratio jumped. His OPSA is .040 better then his best prebvious year while his WHIP has fallen into a good spot. No one in their right mind predicted Loiaza would be as good as he was. During the offseason the Sox signed Loiaza and some one else (I forget who, the guyw ith arm trouble) to minor league contracts. Loiaza caught everyone by surprise. At the time of all these signings (before Wright got hurt) everyone thought the Sox had a decent to solid starting 5. I see no problem with the Sox failure to miss out on Suppan. It's not like they can sign every veteran pitcher thatr hasn't had a good career to a contract and figure out which one's are going to surprise. And who knows, maybe the Sox tried signing Suppan to a minor league contract, but Suppan figured he had a better chance of makiing Pittsburgh's team.

What did all the "elders" see in Suppan to make you think he'd have such a turnaround this year? I always figured a healthy Danny Wright would put up Suppan's previous numbers with a lot mroe upside potential.

Bob

Lip Man 1
08-01-2003, 09:51 PM
If "if" and "but" were candy and nuts everyday would be Christmas.

The point is Rauch WAS hurt, seemed (in the minds of some) to have lost confidence and control YET some STILL insisted he was going to "save the day," and that those who advocated getting as much veteran reliable (re: cheap) pitching help were misinformed, delusional or stupid.

After all the "stats" confirmed that Rauch was going to be a solid contributor and win 12 or 15 games.

I guess the stats, and pythogorian theories, and Bill James never took into account baseball rule #1. "If you don't throw a ball hard enough, some big guys are going to crush it with a stick."

Well maybe everyone (including the Sox) have learned something from this experience.

As Pale Hose George said "you can NEVER have enough pitching..." (words to live by!)

Lip