PDA

View Full Version : Rivals message boards?

Hokiesox
08-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Are there counterpart message boards out there for the Twins and Royals? I'd love to read what their fans are saying about the AL central.

:bandance: I don't know if I'm worthy (being a newbie here)to attach a banana, but I like the banana.

voodoochile
08-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Are there counterpart message boards out there for the Twins and Royals? I'd love to read what their fans are saying about the AL central.

:bandance: I don't know if I'm worthy (being a newbie here)to attach a banana, but I like the banana.

All are free to use the banana. Victor is an equal opportunity dancer.

WSI is no longer affiliated with "Rivals" - the sports website group. Hasn't been for a long time. If you meant the generic term "rivals" - as in opponents - try ESPN and MLB. They both have message boards for all teams.

Brian26
08-01-2003, 12:48 PM
Interesting enough, if I type in "Whitesoxinteractive.com" here at work without the "www." in front of it, it takes me to the old rivals site with college football news. Not sure if it's supposed to do that or if my cookies aren't cleared. If I type in "www.whitesoxinteractive.com", I never have any problems.

Hokiesox
08-01-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

All are free to use the banana. Victor is an equal opportunity dancer.

WSI is no longer affiliated with "Rivals" - the sports website group. Hasn't been for a long time. If you meant the generic term "rivals" - as in opponents - try ESPN and MLB. They both have message boards for all teams.

Meant opponents, sorry. ESPN and MLB are mostly flamers, I'm glad we have WSI with intelligent conversation. :D:

Iwritecode
08-01-2003, 01:04 PM

Ma-gaga and fhqwhgads, the two resident Twins trolls, might know of some sites. I don't know if we have any Royals fans here...

voodoochile
08-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Ma-gaga and fhqwhgads, the two resident Twins trolls, might know of some sites. I don't know if we have any Royals fans here...

Well, we had one last week - believenroyals, but they haven't been around much since Tuesday... :D:

hold2dibber
08-01-2003, 01:09 PM

Here's a Twins board (http://pub11.ezboard.com/fdtfcdtfcminnesotatwinsforum) I found. Don't know about the Royals.

Paulwny
08-01-2003, 01:15 PM
http://www.royalboard.com/baseball/index1.html

ma-gaga
08-01-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Damn that Iwritecode, always blowing my cover.

Fanhome's always a good one. They have a LOT of royals' fans there. Here's their board. (http://insiders3.ezboard.com/fkansascityroyalsfrm1)

The Dickie Thon board (see Hold2dibblers response) is good too. There's a very limited number of regulars, maybe only 15-20, but pretty good conversation and bitching about how bad Rivas and Guzman are...

Otherwise you can get your fill of Twins info from the Twins Geek (http://twinstakes.bonnes.com/). No discussion, but a lot of good takes on how badly the Twins pitching has stunk this year.

:)

ma-gaga
08-01-2003, 01:44 PM
I always forget about these ones...

Seth Speaks (http://www.sethspeaks.net/) - A fan's view.
The Yard (http://babelogue.citypages.com:8080/yard/) - There's tons of historical stuff here for the older wiser (cough cough, Daver, PHG, Nellie cough cough) members of this board...
Gameday! (http://mngameday.com/) - They sell programs outside of the teflon house of terror. Look for the guys in the YELLOW t-shirts, they put out a fantastic scorecard for only $1.

There's enough Twins crap for anyone here. But to answer the original question, I haven't found a good 'totally biased' message board for the Twins. Just a couple of friendly bloggers.

maff
08-01-2003, 01:46 PM
http://home.kc.rr.com/stalder/

That's a Royals fan site. I know someone on this board was looking for a rivals site, from what I know, the Twins don't have one.

Hokiesox
08-01-2003, 03:02 PM
well, that was a bad idea!

Royals fans base their optimism on not having been in first for a while. While I understand the blind optimism (and glee that people even care about them after April 15), the rational arguments are based on the Sox's future schedule. We went over this one yesterday.

The Twins fans? Well, they're twinkee fans. They believe that it is their destiny to win because everyone (read MEDIA) says they should. Therefore, the Royals and White Sox should just get out of their way so they can fulfil their destiny.

So? what does this all mean? IMO Twins fans are tough to stomach, Royals fans are tolerable.

In the end, of course, none of this matters and there's still 50 games or so to play. This sure is exciting though.

Thanks for the links everyone! :bandance:

delben91
08-01-2003, 03:10 PM

In the end, of course, none of this matters and there's still 50 games or so to play. This sure is exciting though.

I always love to hear what fans of other teams think, but you're right Hokie, this is the bottom line. The Sox still have to deliver over the next two months. I have a growing belief that they can (beating Seattle 2 of 3 would really win me over).

Besides, our resident twins fans (any royals fans?) are quite knowledgeable, and very civil. In addition to fqwhagads being a Strong Bad (www.homestarrunner.com) fan. :D:

guillen4life13
08-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by delben91
I always love to hear what fans of other teams think, but you're right Hokie, this is the bottom line. The Sox still have to deliver over the next two months. I have a growing belief that they can (beating Seattle 2 of 3 would really win me over).

Besides, our resident twins fans (any royals fans?) are quite knowledgeable, and very civil. In addition to fqwhagads being a Strong Bad (www.homestarrunner.com) fan. :D:

Personally, I prefer Strong-Sad.

adsit
08-01-2003, 03:53 PM
well, that was a bad idea!

I haven't dug around in Google looking for fan-maintained chat sites for a while, but the last trip I took thru the wasteland was a bad one. There are a few interesting bits, in some of the boards, in between lots of garbage. Many boards have few updates, some just look abandoned, and a lot of them are hosted on GeoCities or somesuch "free web" server, so you get pop-up ads every time you open a thread.

To satisfy my occasional curiosity about what other teams' fans think, I just skim the 'alt.sports.baseball' Usenet newsgroups.

By the way, thanks for clearing the way for unrestricted Banana use... :bandance:

Dave

Iwritecode
08-01-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by adsit
I haven't dug around in Google looking for fan-maintained chat sites for a while, but the last trip I took thru the wasteland was a bad one. There are a few interesting bits, in some of the boards, in between lots of garbage. Many boards have few updates, some just look abandoned, and a lot of them are hosted on GeoCities or somesuch "free web" server, so you get pop-up ads every time you open a thread.

To satisfy my occasional curiosity about what other teams' fans think, I just skim the 'alt.sports.baseball' Usenet newsgroups.

By the way, thanks for clearing the way for unrestricted Banana use... :bandance:

Dave

Actually, the ESPN "troll" boards have some pretty good posters if you can dig through all the garbage. I've checked the KC board there and most of the fans seem to be pretty mellow. Back in April, nobody thought the Royals would be where they are right now. The fans are pretty much sitting back and enjoying it while it lasts. Unlike when this happened to us on the southside, they haven't been waiting 86 years for a WS trophy. Most of them have actually seen a Royals WS in their lifetime and expect to again. If the Sox get an unexpectedly good year, the fans go nuts. So it's kinda hard to relate to them. Overall they are much more tolerable than the Indians fans between 1995 - 2000. Although arguing with them Injun fans in 2000 was more fun.

Now that I stop and think about it, it was because of an Indians "fan" that we (FWC I think) found this place.

:gulp: Here's to you Supertroll, wherever you are!!!

ma-gaga
08-01-2003, 09:38 PM
IMO Twins fans are tough to stomach, Royals fans are tolerable.

I agree with you, the year after a division title, tons of closet fans come out of the woodwork, are obnoxious and self-important, and willing to gloss over obvious deficiencies because 'they did well last year'...

2 years ago Twins fans = Royals fans this year. Riding the string out, not expecting this to go on = Cool fans.

2 years ago W.Sox fans = Twins fans this year. The Sox were coming off a 95 win season, 2001 was THEIR year = Obnoxious fans.

The loop doesn't close because of Cleveland. I really dislike Cleveland's fans. Outcast Radio was cool, but their fansites are worse than any self-entitlement I see anywhere else. They are worse than Cubs fans. They are worse than Yankee fans. They are worse than Boston fans. Yes, they (Cleveland) have a nice farm system. No, that doesn't garauntee future success...

Of course, the best fans in the world are here.

SoxFanDan
08-06-2003, 04:35 AM
I have been fighting against Royals fans all year.
The website is Phog.net and to fight the good fight you need to register first and then go to the phog phorum. Tonight they thought the sox were the best team in the league to be contracted. I need the army's help. Bring it on, and lets have some fun. Sox Win yesssssss

Hokiesox
08-06-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
I agree with you, the year after a division title, tons of closet fans come out of the woodwork, are obnoxious and self-important, and willing to gloss over obvious deficiencies because 'they did well last year'...

2 years ago Twins fans = Royals fans this year. Riding the string out, not expecting this to go on = Cool fans.

2 years ago W.Sox fans = Twins fans this year. The Sox were coming off a 95 win season, 2001 was THEIR year = Obnoxious fans.

The loop doesn't close because of Cleveland. I really dislike Cleveland's fans. Outcast Radio was cool, but their fansites are worse than any self-entitlement I see anywhere else. They are worse than Cubs fans. They are worse than Yankee fans. They are worse than Boston fans. Yes, they (Cleveland) have a nice farm system. No, that doesn't garauntee future success...

Of course, the best fans in the world are here.

Worse than yankee fans? Now look here, even Cubs fans are tolerable in small numbers. Yankee fans? Are you kidding? You want to talk about people who feel that God is their biggest fan? Maybe it's because I live to close to New York and I notice them, but their fans feel entitled to spend and win. And while they're doing that, they spend more. They feel every major league player wants to play in New York. While the VAST majority would like to play in New York, I bet there are a whole bunch who wouldn't. You had me going with your post until you mentioned that it was possible to be worse than yankees fans. The rest of your post is dead on though. :gulp:

SoxFanDan
08-06-2003, 11:47 AM
anyone gonna help, hello :angry:

voodoochile
08-06-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by SoxFanDan
anyone gonna help, hello :angry:

If you bring a whole bunch of trolls back to WSI, I will kick your ass... :D:

Seriously though. Please don't start a board war. You do it, use another board (ESPN) as your base point...

I don't mind killing trolls, but it isn't something I look forward to on a regular basis...

Hokiesox
08-06-2003, 01:08 PM
:(: Sorry, I didn't mean to start a board war. I have nothing against yankees fans. Heck, a lot of people I work with and around are yankees fans (but since we have people from all over the country here working in 100 different offices, we have fans of everyone). I guess my post was over-generalizing. My bad. Yankees fans are really nice people, and I do side with them when they play the O's. But watching the yankees get more and more talent while everyone else tries to catch up is more than frustrating. I guess the person I was more talking about is the boss out there, not yankees fans. I made a bonehead generalization. Sorry.