PDA

View Full Version : I wish Rick Morrisey would shut up

lowesox
08-01-2003, 12:41 PM
He's been really over confident lately. His articles are all how 100% certain it is that the Sox are going to make the playoffs. And while I think we have a pretty good chance, we're still only in second place. And by beating the Royals, we've been helping the Twins out too. Remember, they're still very much a player in all of this.

Worse yet, these articles (this is his second bout of drastic overconfidence) are perfect decoration for the walls Royals dressing room.

Here's the link:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030731morrisseycolumn,1,691452.column?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Lip Man 1
08-01-2003, 12:54 PM
He reminds me of some of the fans at WSI this past week.

Lip

voodoochile
08-01-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
He reminds me of some of the fans at WSI this past week.

Lip

Someone's got to be the counterweight to all you "doom and gloom" types. :D: (just joking, Lip)

How can anyone who has ever cared in the slightest about the Sox NOT be having fun right now?

gosox41
08-01-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
He's been really over confident lately. His articles are all how 100% certain it is that the Sox are going to make the playoffs. And while I think we have a pretty good chance, we're still only in second place. And by beating the Royals, we've been helping the Twins out too. Remember, they're still very much a player in all of this.

Worse yet, these articles (this is his second bout of drastic overconfidence) are perfect decoration for the walls Royals dressing room.

Here's the link:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030731morrisseycolumn,1,691452.column?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

So let me get this straight. Fans (me included) rip on the lack of attention the Sox receive and when they do a majority of it is negative. Finally someone is writing something positive about this team. I love it. I doubt it's going to make the Royals bulletin board. None of the Sox players said anything in there. It was all Morrissey talking. If I were a Royals player I'd just laugh it off. Until then, as a Sox fan I am enjoying any and all positive media coverage this team gets as long as the players aren't out there talking smack.

Bob

LASOXFAN
08-01-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
So let me get this straight. Fans (me included) rip on the lack of attention the Sox receive and when they do a majority of it is negative. Finally someone is writing something positive about this team. I love it. I doubt it's going to make the Royals bulletin board. None of the Sox players said anything in there. It was all Morrissey talking. If I were a Royals player I'd just laugh it off. Until then, as a Sox fan I am enjoying any and all positive media coverage this team gets as long as the players aren't out there talking smack.

Bob

I agree with you Bob. I've enjoyed Morrisey's unbridled enthusiasm. And keep in mind this guy's no idiot. He was in KC all three games, visited both locker rooms and came to his conclusions. Frankly, it's natural to feel some pessimism when it comes to the Sox. I've been a fan since the mid 70s and can't count how many times I've been let down. But I think Morrisey sees something in both clubhouses that makes him believe this race is over for the Royals. That's good to hear.

QueerGirrl
08-01-2003, 03:00 PM

Bob

I'm in agreement also. As much lack of press and/or negative press we get, I'm really enjoying the positives.

I think lowesox is concerned that some of us are counting our chickens before they hatch. His concern understandable.

delben91
08-01-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by lowesox

Here's the link:

Bob

Originally posted by QueerGirrl

I'm in agreement also. As much lack of press and/or negative press we get, I'm really enjoying the positives.

I think lowesox is concerned that some of us are counting our chickens before they hatch. His concern understandable.

I think you're all right. I forget which poster it was, but someone was saying they're concerned only with today's game. They'll worry about tomorrow's game tomorrow, etc. I think that's a great philosophy to follow, and allows room to agree with all three of you.

You don't assume too much and get ahead of yourself (lowesox), but you can enjoy the positive press that is generated today (gosox41) and thus do both at once (queergirrl). I'm just going to enjoy the ride while it lasts, and hope that it continues tonight.

GO SOX!

VaSoxfan
08-01-2003, 04:41 PM
I don't think he should shut up at all. It's about time someone in the media started backing us up and telling it like it is. I'm sick of seeing Pena's quotes in the papers, or reading Royals fan posts on their board about how it's no big deal that they got crushed, or it's only July, etc. etc. They better start worrying about us in a real quick hurry. We destroyed them in this series and have now taken 5 straight from them overall. Their division lead which was once 8 is now 1. Frankly the Sox even before the trades were a very good team on paper, and now that they are finally playing like one, the rest of the division better watch it.

And the Twins....they just don't seem as dangerous as last year. Right now the Sox are on an emotional level the Twins and Royals don't seem to be at. Head to head against those guys the last couple months, the Sox have clearly been the more talented and inspired team.

Good for Morrissey.

SoxFan76
08-01-2003, 04:52 PM
i like the enthusiasm. i read some article on the back page of todays trib on how tony pena isnt taking the sweep very seriously. they still believe they will be in first place at the end of the regular season. but i believe that the emotional journey this very mediocre team (on paper that is) has been on for the whole season has, or will shortly, come to an end. the sox have too much talent on that team, especially compared to the royals, to not win this division by 10 games. the sox have the veterans to keep the teams confidence up, which the royals lack, and the sox have a much better pitching staff than the royals, this is how the season should have been from the start. and if your not excited yet, then i dont know what to tell you, because this has been alot of fun, and i have no doubt the sox will be in the playoffs this year.

inta
08-01-2003, 05:07 PM
crissakes, the sox just swept their division rival in a playoff race, they deserve a feel good article.

if you dont like his articles on the sox, i think marrioti just wrote his 8th article on the cubs this week in that other paper.... feel free to check that out.