PDA

View Full Version : buehrle shaves hawks head?

southsidegirl
08-01-2003, 12:09 PM
i just read it in the trib. did hawk have a side deal with the team saying that if they swept kc on the road he would shave his head? or maybe mark just attacked him with a razor?

:burly
"I'm coming to get you hawk!"

:hawk
"oh dear god, no!"

fledgedrallycap
08-01-2003, 12:19 PM
it really didn't get specific, it sounds as though Hawk just wanted to get involved in the fun - and 11 out of 12 is close enough :smile:

Clembasbal
08-01-2003, 12:34 PM
I actually read somwhere that it was a Mo-Hawk, kind of like the one Shoney has

Iwritecode
08-01-2003, 12:59 PM
From the Sun-Times:

And when it was over, the Sox players talked fast and out of breath. Pitcher Mark Buehrle pulled TV guy Hawk Harrelson into the showers and shaved his head. Harrelson said he didn't put up a fight. But he left the showers with a towel wrapped around his head and vowed not to go uncovered on air. From the looks of things, that's a good thing.

"I think we're going to see something special this year,'' Harrelson gushed, after switching from a towel to a cap. "Why not be a part of it?''

Just then, pitcher Billy Koch grabbed Harrelson's cap and threw it aside. And the point is this: The Sox are like little kids.

Of course I'll be out of town this weekend and miss the opportunity to see what he looks like just in case someone should get his cap off again.

Has anyone keen KW sporting his new shine yet?

Brian26
08-01-2003, 01:04 PM
Saw that in the paper this morning. I still think it's cool that Hawk's down in the lockerroom after the game rappin' with the players. These guys are a lot younger than him now, but he still goes down there like he's one of the boys. He always talked about how he hung out with the '83 team down in the cubby-hole after the games at Old Comiskey, but he was just slightly out of their age range and was probably considered a peer to guys like Koosman, Fisk, and Luzinski. I'm curious to how the guys on our team look at him now. Is there a ton of respect for him? Is he considered a father-figure? Does he offer advice to the hitters? I don't imagine guys like Skip Caray or Chip or announcers for other teams being as much a part of the team as Hawk always tries to be. I think it's a cool thing.

npdempse
08-01-2003, 03:03 PM
He always talked about how he hung out with the '83 team down in the cubby-hole after the games at Old Comiskey, but he was just slightly out of their age range and was probably considered a peer to guys like Koosman, Fisk, and Luzinski.

He and Fisk were actually both Red Sox in '69, though presumably not at the same time (Hawk left early in the year).

I-55_Series
08-01-2003, 03:59 PM
Just to complete the set, I think it might be appropriate to see DJ wearing a white pompadour wig in the booth.

Hawk has always had an impressive head of hair, neatly styled; DJ has always worn his close-cropped--it would be as it they'd changed places.

"Sit back and strap it down," etc. . . . :smile: :smile:

southsidegirl
08-01-2003, 04:33 PM
i think it would be pretty funny if DJ grew a huge fro or something...

inta
08-01-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
He and Fisk were actually both Red Sox in '69, though presumably not at the same time (Hawk left early in the year).

huh? how could fisk have been on the 69 red sox when he won rookie of the year in 1972??

hempsox
08-01-2003, 06:24 PM
This was also reported by the KC Star on their site...

kermittheefrog
08-01-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by inta
huh? how could fisk have been on the 69 red sox when he won rookie of the year in 1972??

He only had 5 at-bats in 1969. You don't lose your eligibility for rookie of the year until 150 at-bats or so many (50 or so?) days on the major league roster.

koch44
08-02-2003, 12:11 AM
Have they shown Hawk during the broadcast at all tonight?

WhiteSox = Life
08-02-2003, 01:10 AM
Nope. At least I didn't see it.

They showed Hawk and DJ in the postgame and Hawk had on this incredibly goofy-looking white floppy hat.

The guys in the chat room were begging for DJ to reach up and take the hat off. I'll betcha Hawk warned DJ to not do that, lest DJ wanted to get smacked on TV.

:)

ewokpelts
08-03-2003, 01:24 PM
I',m sure Hawk's like a wacky uncle or something with them....and I'm doubly sure he gets drunk with them too...................