PDA

View Full Version : JM rolled the dice

Paulwny
08-01-2003, 11:06 AM
JM finally went for the throat.
Normally managers won't ph for the catcher just in case the replacement becomes injured, although highly unlikely, and the "disaster" catcher would be used. Daver once mentioned that Daubach could catch in an emergency.

Not only did JM pinch hit for Olivo but also Daubach. I did have a moment of fear, with Sandy at 2nd, Roberto singles to center and Farmer says there may be a play at the plate. Thankfully the throw was off line for I pictured Sandy, with his bad knees, in a collision at the plate.

MarqSox
08-01-2003, 11:11 AM
Konerko could have caught in a dire emergency, but yeah, that would have been ugly.

fuzzy_patters
08-01-2003, 11:14 AM
While Daubach and Konerko have caught in the minors, they have a bad back and bad knees respectively. The Sox have said that Graffanino is the emergency catcher, and, if I remember right, he played catcher for us once in either the 2000 or 2001 season.

Randar68
08-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Konerko could have caught in a dire emergency, but yeah, that would have been ugly.

Graffanino can also catch if there are no other options. At this point, he'd probably be better back there than Pauly.

voodoochile
08-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Graffanino can also catch if there are no other options. At this point, he'd probably be better back there than Pauly.

I am pretty sure Graff is the emergency catcher, actually.

Brian26
08-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Tony G. is such a great guy to have on this team, isn't he? He knows his role, produces in cluth situations when he's given the opportunity, is versatile as hell. A great ballplayer.

delben91
08-01-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Tony G. is such a great guy to have on this team, isn't he? He knows his role, produces in cluth situations when he's given the opportunity, is versatile as hell. A great ballplayer.

:versatile
"Did somebody say versatile?"

RKMeibalane
08-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
JM finally went for the throat.
Normally managers won't ph for the catcher just in case the replacement becomes injured, although highly unlikely, and the "disaster" catcher would be used. Daver once mentioned that Daubach could catch in an emergency.

IIRC, there was/is a rule which states that a catcher may re-enter the game if there is an injury. I'm not sure if that rule is still in effect.

voodoochile
08-01-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
IIRC, there was/is a rule which states that a catcher may re-enter the game if there is an injury. I'm not sure if that rule is still in effect.

News to me. I have never heard of any such rule. Maybe for an AS game, but you take a guy out in games that count, he is done...

RKMeibalane
08-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
News to me. I have never heard of any such rule. Maybe for an AS game, but you take a guy out in games that count, he is done...

Maybe that's where I heard it. Of course, the AS Game "counts," too, so maybe the rule no longer applies. LOL!

:tool

"Stop making fun of me!"

Dadawg_77
08-01-2003, 02:38 PM
I went into the rule book to see what I could find and this was there.
Players in uniform shall not address or mingle with spectators, nor sit in the stands before, during, or after a game. No manager, coach or player shall address any spectator before or during a game. Players of opposing teams shall not fraternize at any time while in uniform.

How many times does that rule get violated? Hell the Sox have a promotion which violates it.

TornLabrum
08-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

That rule is for the All-Star Game.