PDA

View Full Version : Alomar's lost a step....I don't think so!

fledgedrallycap
08-01-2003, 10:01 AM
How about the serious leather being thrown around at 2nd Base by Robbie. That play in the bottom of the 9th last night was huge! Yes, the Royals tied it up, but if that ball sneaks by into right field there is a play at the plate and we might be looking at a two game lead by the Royals.

harwar
08-01-2003, 10:13 AM
That play is being shown over and over by espn along with comments that "he should have charged the ball'.."the game is on the line".Since i had no tv coverage last night and everything here was knocked out by storms all i had to go by was the espn guys when i got power back and i thought that Robbie had blown the play and almost cost us the game.Now i find out from you that he may have saved the winning run from scoring.Funny how they neglected to mention that part.They also didn't mention that he drove in his brother,which may have turned out to be a big run.

fledgedrallycap
08-01-2003, 10:29 AM
Robbie was playing Tucker to hit up the middle. He then slapped a bouncer closer to first base than anything else so I don't see anyway possible for him to charge the ball since it wasn't dribbled down the line . It was a very tough ball to corale and he still almost got him by throwing from the edge of the outfield - I find it very hard to critize Alomar on that play due to where it was hit, how far he had to go and the speed of the batter. However, it doesn't surprise me that they would stick it to Robbie.

hold2dibber
08-01-2003, 10:38 AM
I was surprised it took Alomar so long to get to that ball, but I honestly don't know how he could have possibly charged it; if he had charged it, it probably would have ended up in right field.

By the way, Harwar - is that a real quote by the royals play-by-play guy about Ordonez? If so, that is absolutely hilarious! But I wouldn't blame him for saying it - until last night, Ordonez was as hot as any ball player I have ever seen.

harwar
08-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
By the way, Harwar - is that a real quote by the royals play-by-play guy about Ordonez? If so, that is absolutely hilarious! But I wouldn't blame him for saying it - until last night, Ordonez was as hot as any ball player I have ever seen.

Yea,thats a roger,its a direct quote from him(can't recall his name).I also thought it was pretty funny.I watch the royals a lot and their announcers are good.They are almost always fair and they know the game,but wednesday night the guy was beside himself, "groan".."there goes another one".

mandmandm
08-01-2003, 11:01 AM
,but wednesday night the guy was beside himself, "groan".."there goes another one". [/B][/QUOTE]

Kinda sounds like a certain radio broadcaster who calls the Flubs games.

gogosoxgogo
08-01-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by harwar
That play is being shown over and over by espn along with comments that "he should have charged the ball'.."the game is on the line".Since i had no tv coverage last night and everything here was knocked out by storms all i had to go by was the espn guys when i got power back and i thought that Robbie had blown the play and almost cost us the game.Now i find out from you that he may have saved the winning run from scoring.Funny how they neglected to mention that part.They also didn't mention that he drove in his brother,which may have turned out to be a big run.

No way, if he would have charged that ball, he would have completely missed it. It would have gone into right field, the runner from second would have scored, and the Sox would have lost. Alomar definately saved the game by getting to that ball. He just did get to it, too. A play, I'm sure, Jimenez would not have been able to make.

fquaye149
08-01-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by mandmandm
,but wednesday night the guy was beside himself, "groan".."there goes another one".

Kinda sounds like a certain radio broadcaster who calls the Flubs games. [/B][/QUOTE]

ron santo would have cried his eyes out if he were calling the game

hold2dibber
08-01-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
A play, I'm sure, Jimenez would not have been able to make.

You got that right!

duke of dorwood
08-01-2003, 01:26 PM
I pray we sign him-I have not been so comfortable at second base play in many years.