PDA

View Full Version : Olivo forever?

Hokiesox
08-01-2003, 08:26 AM
first of all, what a great time to be a Sox fan!!!

Anyway, Greenstein wrote a column for the Cub-une praising Olivo as being a great catcher with a great arm. While he's proven that he has an arm this year, is he a franchise catcher we can expect to see for the next 15 years? I think that would be great the way he's playing now.

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

gosox41
08-01-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
first of all, what a great time to be a Sox fan!!!

Anyway, Greenstein wrote a column for the Cub-une praising Olivo as being a great catcher with a great arm. While he's proven that he has an arm this year, is he a franchise catcher we can expect to see for the next 15 years? I think that would be great the way he's playing now.

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

He's got the potential to be that guy. He just needs to learn some command of the strike zone. He swings at some awful pitches. His offensive development may take longer because as a catcher he has so much else to worry about and learn fensively.

Bob

Shoeless Joe
08-01-2003, 09:20 AM
If you look at Ivan Rodriguez when he was just a young pup he had one hell of an arm but had weak offensive numbers. The same could be said about Olivo. Whether he is going to turn out to be the same caliber player that I-Rod later became remains to be seen but as of right now I don't see why Olivo won't turn into one the best catchers in the AL pretty soon.

manuelsucks
08-01-2003, 09:59 AM
I really think that Olivo can become one of the greatest catchers in the AL. He's already got a cannon for an arm, and he does good behind the plate. He has shown glimpses of what is to come with his offensive abilities, and I believe with time we will see him consistently get the bat on the ball.

fledgedrallycap
08-01-2003, 10:05 AM
I just love watching him play. He has that intangable asset which is he loves playing the game. You can see it in his face and body language. Hawk calls him a Tazmanian Devil out there. When he gets on the basepath, he wants to run. When a runner gets on, he wants to throw them out. Fisk will always be the man, but I hope this guy gives him a run for the money!

Hokiesox
08-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Well, dare I say it, or compare, and since I wasn't around in the early '70's...

Any similarities to Fisk's early career?

A.T. Money
08-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Well, dare I say it, or compare, and since I wasn't around in the early '70's...

Any similarities to Fisk's early career?

Olivo's arm is 10x stronger.

gogosoxgogo
08-01-2003, 11:04 AM
I would like to have Olivo around here for a long time to come. He is going to be a great hitting catcher someday. That's one arm you don't give up on. Speaking of which, Olivo for Gold Glove this year!

HawkDJ
08-01-2003, 11:45 AM
Olivo still has some issues catching/blocking the ball. He certainly does have the chance to be a great all-around catcher for us with a great arm, speed and eventually, hitting.

Randar68
08-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
He's got the potential to be that guy. He just needs to learn some command of the strike zone. He swings at some awful pitches. His offensive development may take longer because as a catcher he has so much else to worry about and learn fensively.

Bob

Olivo has such a quick bat. If you look at his 1st AA season to his 2nd, the difference is astounding. His SO:BB ratio went to almost 1:1, and he hit for about 50+ points higher.

His bat just explodes through the zone and the ball jumps off his bat. He needs to stop pressing, and make the pitcher throw better pitches. He can hit everything inside and out over the plate, he just needs to lay off the low and high outside pitches and make the pitcher adjust. He seems to be one of our better clutch performers, and that is a great sign after the years of watching anti-clutch players blow chances over-and-over on this team.

Paulwny
08-01-2003, 12:54 PM
This isn't about Olivo, its general.
I've always been puzzled by very bad hitting catchers. Their always behind the plate, see all varieties of pitches, their almost the batter. You'd think they, if anyone, would be able to recognize pitches and have better ba's.

Hokiesox
08-01-2003, 01:00 PM
right, but they're also learning how to catch a ball with equipment, and the ball is never travelling in a straight line, nor is it coming to them. Try it, it's not easy. I've been a little league umpire for 13 years, and it's hard enough for me to find a foul ball straight up ...and I don't even have to catch the ball!

Catchers can do more learning how to effectively catch the pop up near home plate, batting can come in later years.

hold2dibber
08-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I just love watching him play. He has that intangable asset which is he loves playing the game. You can see it in his face and body language. Hawk calls him a Tazmanian Devil out there. When he gets on the basepath, he wants to run. When a runner gets on, he wants to throw them out.

I completely agree - you can see his passion for the game, kind of like Ozzie Guillen had. It's great to see.

Paulwny
08-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Try it, it's not easy. .

I quite playing ball ~ 30yrs ago, no thanks I don't need any bruises. :smile:

delben91
08-01-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I completely agree - you can see his passion for the game, kind of like Ozzie Guillen had. It's great to see.

I agree with the Guillen comparison. Olivo also seems similar to Jose Valentin in terms of passion for the game. You can see on his face, he just loves to play, and is always going all out.

Take that, and the idea that he's learning from Sandy, who's probably a great mentor for young catchers (and who I personally think could get a spot as the Sox roving minor league catching instructor when he retires), and has drawn rave reviews for his progress from Sandy as well does nothing but bode well for the future.

And, as everyone else has mentioned...what a cannon!

Randar68
08-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by delben91
(and who I personally think could get a spot as the Sox roving minor league catching instructor when he retires)

Why, the Sox don't have any catchers worth coaching in the minors. They don't sign any of the talented ones they draft! :D:

delben91
08-01-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Why, the Sox don't have any catchers worth coaching in the minors. They don't sign any of the talented ones they draft! :D:

Haha, touche Randar, that ever-lasting gripe we always share...

But there's always Jamie Burke.

thepaulbowski
08-01-2003, 05:19 PM
with Josh Paul gone, who is going to do the catching clinic at Soxfest...Olivo

:gulp: