PDA

View Full Version : Borchard

spanishwhite
08-01-2003, 07:18 AM
Take it for what its worth.

Ive heard alot of people sour on him so I thought I would update on his good progress.

He is hitting .313 with a .358 obp and .589 slg pct. in the last
26 games.

He has seven homers in that span too.

fquaye149
08-01-2003, 08:45 AM
but what are the strikeout numbers?

gosox41
08-01-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
Take it for what its worth.

Ive heard alot of people sour on him so I thought I would update on his good progress.

He is hitting .313 with a .358 obp and .589 slg pct. in the last
26 games.

He has seven homers in that span too.

I hoep he starts coming around. I know peopole don't want to talk about next year in the middle of a pennant race, but there is a chance that Borchard will be needed to be out everyday left fielder. If the 2003 Sox goes to the playoffs, it's going to take a lot to bring back Colon and Alomar not ot mention all the arbitration eligible players. Some of this could be recitified if Konerko or Koch or both were traded. If this team fails, Lee may bring a lot in trade bait.

I hate to rain on a parade because Lee is finally hitting with some power (though I expected a lot more from him this season) but it's unfortunately the reality of the situation.

Bob

NC_sox_fan
08-01-2003, 09:42 AM
From the Knights' website:

FORT MILL, South Carolina (Ticker) -- Joe Borchard slugged two home runs to lead the Charlotte Knights past the Norfolk Tides, 8-5. Borchard started off the scoring with a three-run blast to right field in the first inning and added a solo shot, his 12th of the year, in the third, giving Charlotte a early 4-0 lead. Aaron Miles ripped a two-run double in the fourth, and Ryan Hankins added a pair of hits and scored a run for Charlotte, which improved to 36-22 at home. Jon Rauch (5-1) pitched five innings, allowing three runs and six hits with five strikeouts to pick up the win. Arnaldo Munoz struck out two in a perfect ninth inning to earn his fourth save of the year. Mike Glavine hit a two-run homer and Jorge Velandia drove home two more with a base hit in the eighth for Norfolk. Jason Anderson (0-2) surrendered four runs and three hits in three innings to suffer the loss for the Tides, who have lost 13 of their last 16 games.

Go Joe....Go!!!!

fledgedrallycap
08-01-2003, 10:08 AM
There is no reason to rush him along - it was very obvious as of two months ago that he isn't ready for a MLB curve ball or change-up. He is a special talent, and he will be up in September when the rosters expand due to his speed and defense, but I think they should play it smart with Joe as they did with Crede. An extra year in the minors can pay huge dividends in the long run.

gogosoxgogo
08-01-2003, 10:55 AM
This doesn't turn me around. He's facing AAA pitching. And you failed to bring up his K numbers, which I myself am afraid to look up right now.

Randar68
08-01-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
This doesn't turn me around. He's facing AAA pitching. And you failed to bring up his K numbers, which I myself am afraid to look up right now.

Joe has been fighting tendonitis in his wrist all season. He bat speed has been down and it has really hurt him at the plate.

kermittheefrog
08-01-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
but what are the strikeout numbers?

Insignificant. It's not about how much you strike out it's about how much you get on base and how many balls you hit out the park.

gogosoxgogo
08-01-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Joe has been fighting tendonitis in his wrist all season. He bat speed has been down and it has really hurt him at the plate.

Well then, that really turns me around on this guy.

gogosoxgogo
08-01-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Insignificant. It's not about how much you strike out it's about how much you get on base and how many balls you hit out the park.

It's about how many balls you hit out of the park? What the hell are you, a Sammy Sosa fan? And it's very difficult to get on base when you don't make contact with the baseball.

A.T. Money
08-01-2003, 04:33 PM
He'll be up here in September when the rosters expand.

LASOXFAN
08-01-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
There is no reason to rush him along ... I think they should play it smart with Joe as they did with Crede. An extra year in the minors can pay huge dividends in the long run.

THAT'S NOT VERY ENCOURAGING! Crede's been a major disappointment at the plate and is second on the team with 11 errors (manos de piedras has 14). I was hoping he'd get sent to Cincy for Boone.

Randar68
08-01-2003, 04:58 PM
Well then, that really turns me around on this guy.

Gotta find some reason to be negative or you'll shrivel-up and die, huh?

Vsahajpal
08-01-2003, 06:07 PM
It's about how many balls you hit out of the park? What the hell are you, a Sammy Sosa fan? And it's very difficult to get on base when you don't make contact with the baseball.

Just a question, would you be upset if Borch's career mirrored Sosa's? I'd be pretty damn happy.

A lot of sluggers get on base frequently despite piling up large K numbers. Kermit is exactly right.

hold2dibber
08-01-2003, 06:14 PM

That's not really true. Sosa strikes out a ton, but he also gets on base a lot. Same with Thome. And many others. Lots of strikeouts don't bother me as long as he's getting on base and mashing the long ball.

With that said, I'm not at all sold on Borchard. I'm afraid he might be the next Russell Branyon.

gogosoxgogo
08-01-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Gotta find some reason to be negative or you'll shrivel-up and die, huh?

I wouldn't be a Sox fan if that wasn't the case :)

Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Just a question, would you be upset if Borch's career mirrored Sosa's? I'd be pretty damn happy.

A lot of sluggers get on base frequently despite piling up large K numbers. Kermit is exactly right.

I would be thrilled if Borchard turned out to be half the player the Sosa is (less the ego and selfishness). Now, if that will only happen.

Originally posted by hold2dibber

That's not really true. Sosa strikes out a ton, but he also gets on base a lot. Same with Thome. And many others. Lots of strikeouts don't bother me as long as he's getting on base and mashing the long ball.

With that said, I'm not at all sold on Borchard. I'm afraid he might be the next Russell Branyon.

I didn't say that there aren't examples of players who strike out a ton but still get on base. I simply set it's "very difficult" to get on base a lot when you aren't able to put the bat on the ball. Perhaps I exaggerated this point. My main worry with Borchard is that he strikes out a ton AND his batting average is not anywhere near what many people say it should be. This indicates to me (as well as when I have seen the guy at the plate) that he has trouble seeing the ball well from a professional pitcher, and then making contact with the ball. Say all you want about the guy's power, and I'll agree with you. I've said it in the past, the guy's fore arms are as big as my upper torso. However, it's going to be difficult to hit those home runs if you aren't able to make contact.

Also, just out of curiosity, how many of you are still convinced that Jon Rauch is the second coming?