PDA

View Full Version : Kenny had "good chance" to complete deal

Unregistered
08-01-2003, 03:00 AM
KW apparently got real close to dealing at the deadline...

from the Trib:
Williams was so steeped in discussions Thursday that he thought he had a good chance to complete a deal until 2:55 p.m., five minutes before the deadline.

Williams wouldn't reveal the target of his trade talks, other than that it was a right-handed pitcher who did not get moved.

"It's in poor taste to talk about a guy still with his team," Williams said. "And it's tampering."

Williams predicted the pitcher would not clear waivers, meaning he won't be dealt to another team this season.

Among the players who probably would fit that description are Montreal's Javier Vazquez and Livan Hernandez, Toronto's Kelvim Escobar and Seattle's Freddy Garcia.
Unless we were giving the Mariners someone we were already starting, I doubt that they would have traded Garcia. Obviously Vazquez would have been sweet, but I'm glad that KW didn't just throw players at another GM for a "maybe" pitcher (which most of these guys are...minus Vazquez). It sounds like the team is convinced that they don't need any more outside help either, so I think KW probably did the right thing.

gogosoxgogo
08-01-2003, 10:50 AM
My guess is Vazquez. He would have been sweet, but with the price other pitchers were going for, as well as an additional year on his contract, we would have had to give up a lot. I'm happy KW thought this one through.

harwar
08-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Montreal doesn't know what to do.Since they are owned by MLB,they would be making trades with themselves or selling players to themselves.Sounds like they are lost in a Kafka novel.They may end up letting Vlad G.go and getting nothing in return.

lowesox
08-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Is Vazquez a FA next year? If not, this would have been a pretty good pickup depending on who we'd have to send back.

Gumshoe
08-01-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Is Vazquez a FA next year? If not, this would have been a pretty good pickup depending on who we'd have to send back.

Vazquez is signed through 2004, and relatively cheap. I imagine they were asking quite a bit for him though, since they wanted to move Livan (and his $6 MIL) instead .........

Gumshoe