PDA

View Full Version : The Mariners Aren't The Royals...

Shoeless Joe
08-01-2003, 12:38 AM
There is no doubt that this team is the hottest team in the majors especially with the sweep. However, this weekend we're going to face a very good team, or at least a team a heck of a lot better than KC. The matchups may look something like this:

Friday - Colon vs. Garcia
Saturday - Wright vs. Franklin
Sunday - Buehrle vs. Meche

Right now the Mariners' clubhouse is not happy because of managements unwillingness to make a deal before the break. Who know whether that will affect they're play though.

That being said the Sox are on too much of a roll right now, so I don't see them blowing it against Seattle, despite our brutal west coast trips of late. I truly believe that the Sox can go in there and get another sweep and keep this thing going.

Thunderstruck30
08-01-2003, 12:43 AM
I just hope that history doesnt repeat itself and the Sox win at least 2.

JJAustin69
08-01-2003, 12:46 AM
High time we end that West Coast jinx too. The Mariners aren't invincible. We can win that series!

JJAustin69
08-01-2003, 01:26 AM
The Mariners players and fans are bitter that the front office didn't get them anything before the deadline. Just saw Jeff Nelson really irate on SC. Lets kick them while they are down.

Nick@Nite
08-01-2003, 01:53 AM
... and they sure aren't the 1927 Yankees.

C'mon Sox... Continue to be ROAD WARRIORS!!!

:b&b
BEAVIS ... heh, heh... isn't Nirvana from Seattle?
BUTTHEAD ... huh, huh... Mariners Suck!

Kilroy
08-01-2003, 06:50 AM
My initial thoughts on tonight's game are that the Sox had an extra inning, emotional win, followed by a long flight to the west coast. Jet lag, emotional let down... Those are real possibilities tonight.

But, I expect Colon will be sharp tonight. I expect a low scoring affair, maybe 2-0, 3-1. I can't say who's gonna win tho.

Dadawg_77
08-01-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
My initial thoughts on tonight's game are that the Sox had an extra inning, emotional win, followed by a long flight to the west coast. Jet lag, emotional let down... Those are real possibilities tonight.

But, I expect Colon will be sharp tonight. I expect a low scoring affair, maybe 2-0, 3-1. I can't say who's gonna win tho.

Sow win tonight 7-2.

delben91
08-01-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Shoeless Joe
There is no doubt that this team is the hottest team in the majors especially with the sweep. However, this weekend we're going to face a very good team, or at least a team a heck of a lot better than KC. The matchups may look something like this:

Hasn't Garcia been rather bad in his last 4 or 5 starts? I have confidence about the Sox having a decent shot tonight.

Sunday's game has the potential to be a great pitchers' duel. Meche has been outstanding this season.

gosox41
08-01-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by delben91
Hasn't Garcia been rather bad in his last 4 or 5 starts? I have confidence about the Sox having a decent shot tonight.

Sunday's game has the potential to be a great pitchers' duel. Meche has been outstanding this season.

Garcia seems to pitch well agains the Sox. The Mariners have now won 3 in a row. If they're that pissed off at management for not getting them another player, it's not hurting their play on the field. Even if it was only Detroit they swept.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm skeptical of the Sox. Sure they've been playing better. But it seems like they scored most of their runs this series off the home run. I think they had 13 in 3 games agains the Royals. This pace can't be kept. They need to manufacture some runs. On the flip side, it is nice to see a lot more men getting on base.

Bob

delben91
08-01-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by gosox41

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm skeptical of the Sox. Sure they've been playing better. But it seems like they scored most of their runs this series off the home run. I think they had 13 in 3 games agains the Royals. This pace can't be kept. They need to manufacture some runs. On the flip side, it is nice to see a lot more men getting on base.

Bob

You're right that most of the runs have been coming off the home run. However, I still think the offense is coming around because despite the home runs, the Sox had 16 hits on tuesday, 19 on wednesday and 12 hits last night. Those aren't all home runs. So, if the long ball deserts the lineup, hopefully the bats will still produce.

I too am not convinced, but I believe more than I did 2 weeks ago.

Procol Harum
08-01-2003, 10:19 AM
If typical Sox history rears its head this weekend, then we can expect a major letdown after the emotional sweep in KC. But the heck with that!!!! Murder the stinkin' M's!!!! I predict--if the Sox win this series, they'll proceed to win the division. We gotta get over this West Coast thing.

harwar
08-01-2003, 10:31 AM
They have to win 2.They just can't lose this opportunity to scare the heck out of the royals & twins by making them think that the Sox may not lose another series all season.

ChiSoxBobette
08-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Shoeless Joe

Right now the Mariners' clubhouse is not happy because of managements unwillingness to make a deal before the break. Who know whether that will affect they're play though.

That being said the Sox are on too much of a roll right now, so I don't see them blowing it against Seattle, despite our brutal west coast trips of late. I truly believe that the Sox can go in there and get another sweep and keep this thing going.

They're not that much better I think the Royals spanked them before we went into K.C.

VaSoxfan
08-01-2003, 12:33 PM
I think the Sox can take 2 of 3 this weekend, especially the way they are hitting the ball and they won't face Moyer. Seattle just swept Detroit, big whoop. Before that they split a 4-game series with lowly Texas, split 1-1 with Oakland and Minnesota, and got whipped in 3 of 4 by the same Royals team we just squashed.

I'm so sick of hearing about our tough schedule. People are talking like we're playing Seattle and Oakland 40 times the remainder of the year. If we take 2 of 3 out there it will be a nice statement.

Foulke You
08-01-2003, 12:49 PM
The game I'm worried about is Saturday. Dan Wright vs. Ryan Franklin is not a good pitching matchup. Franklin has given us trouble this year and we're going to need to score a lot of runs for Dan Wright. That being said, I like tonight's matchup of Colon vs. Garcia and Sunday's is about even with Gil Meche and Mark Buehrle.

My 3 Keys to the series:

1. Don't let the Sox killers beat you: Edgar Martinez and Mike Cameron

2. Frank Thomas and Carl Everett's bats heat up with the rest of the team

3. Dan Wright having a solid outing on Saturday and giving us a chance to win the game.

LASOXFAN
08-01-2003, 04:56 PM
That's the beauty of these next three games: we'll know so much more about this team when it's over.

1. A sweep and no one, I mean NO one, can question their place as one of the league's best.

2. Two out of three and we keep that swagger in our gait as we head home for some royal treatment.

3. Lose two of three and some chinks in the armor will appear. Certainly we'll lose at least a game to both the twinkies and royalsk, probably two.

4. Get swept and we're gonna be three or four back, all momentum is gone and we're looking for another sweep against KC to yet again "get back in the race." And I don't think that would happen.

I say let the chips fall where they may, it's going to be an eye opening weekend.

Play ball!

SoxFan76
08-01-2003, 05:13 PM
this series will really show the nation that the sox can compete in the playoffs. usually the AL central teams are ignored because they have moderate success against a weak division. so if the sox can atleast win this series, and win the next series with KC, that will truly show if the sox are for real. i am worried about danny wright. they bring up ginter, they get schoenweis (who i know cant start this season due to many things), so they get these guys and end up bringing wright back to pitch anyways. lets just ignore the fact that he never won a game since coming back to the sox this year. but i hope he proves me wrong because we cant have a weak link in this rotation.

im going to be in wisconsin this week, so im going to miss games 2 and 3 with seattle, and the KC series. so when i come back, i better see some good news on WSI.